Trouble Calling Thailand

laawaaris

I am having some difficulty calling Thailand from the USA.

I am starting to plan a trip to Thailand and wanted to start speaking to hotels over the phone and get some information.

I tried calling 2 different hotels today but no luck.

As an example I tried to call the Chatrium Bangkok Suites hotel which has a number listed of

Tel : +66 (0) 2307 8888

From the USA I thought this means I would dial:

011 66 2307 8888

However this number does not work. I am using Vonage to call and it rings in a USA dial tone for a while and then switches over to what sound like a foreign (Thaliand?) dial tone.

I also tried an international phone card - after a long silence it also just rings and rings.

Am I dialing the number correctly ? There is an extra 0 listed in the hotels number on their website and I'm not sure why.

I am calling Thailand when it is Sunday around 9pm or later - so I don't know if that is a bad time to call Thailand.

i've had trouble,i had to get another cell phone,now i'm ok.try a different phone see what happens

Not sure what is going on...,.Land line calls are hopeless. Over the last 4 weeks I have been outside Thailand and been demented with failed calls.

Using Skype is no better....it drops out consistantly....and the Skype site asks how was the quality of the call - I keep telling them it was crap ..but get never get a response ???

why do they ask ?

If you call on a mobile phone to a mobile you seem to get through except you sometimes get problems when its raining at the Thai end.

But if you take a look at cabling in Thailand of any sort..electrical or phone....you might realise why there is a problem !!!!

:jap:

'lonewolf99' timestamp='1283748527' post='3864801']

'thrilled' timestamp='1283728277' post='3864196']

i've had trouble,i had to get another cell phone,now i'm ok.try a different phone see what happens

Not sure what is going on...,.Land line calls are hopeless. Over the last 4 weeks I have been outside Thailand and been demented with failed calls.

Using Skype is no better....it drops out consistantly....and the Skype site asks how was the quality of the call - I keep telling them it was crap ..but get never get a response ???

why do they ask ?

If you call on a mobile phone to a mobile you seem to get through except you sometimes get problems when its raining at the Thai end.

But if you take a look at cabling in Thailand of any sort..electrical or phone....you might realise why there is a problem !!!!

:jap:

When I am visiting Thailand , I often have problems calling Cambodia and vice versa , cells both ends . When I am in Canada , my wife calls me on Skype at the local internet shop , the calls are very clear except for the occassional hiccup , they are also very cheap , she spends well over one hour talking and the cost has never been over $1.50 , I never have a problem calling her on my landline , which is rather expensive , unless she happens to be in the village , but that is normal even calling from PP .

The problem with calling hotels in thailand is probably due to the hotel not answering , many do not even respond to e-mails , this , I have found , also goes for government offices etc . Whether or not they are just scared to speak in English or not , I have no idea .