Good Things About Thailand

thaibebop

I am a huge reader and often wondered if moving to Thailand would mean giving up on reading anyhting new in english. Good to know I am wrong. :o

Bangkok has some pretty good bookshops, though they are quite a bit more expensive than the States. I think the one in the Emporium has probably the best selection. Pricey though. There are also some good farang owned second-hand places - the ones owned by Thais will usually (not always) try to rip you off by charging the same or higher than the original cover price!! Outside Bangkok, you can more or less forget it.

Are there any stores which are good at order in items?

Hehe. I think that would be really pushing your luck. It would probably take weeks. The only thing I ever tried to order was textbooks, and eventually gave up because of the time involved. Many of the major publishing companies have either agents or representation offices in Bangkok, but this is mainly to promote/sell their educational texts. If they don't have a title in stock, it takes a long time for them to get it. Better to order from home. I used Amazon - both .com and .co.uk - frequently and without mishap. Barnes & Noble also have a depot in Singapore - order from their main website and your books will be shipped from there. Fast, efficient, and often cheaper than buying locally. Never lost an order (but this will depend on how secure the mail delivery to your accommodation is; some apartment buildings can be a little dodgy). You also shouldn't be charged import duty on books for personal use, as long as there is nothing else such as cassettes, DVDs or CDROMS in the package. I ordered lots and never had to pay anything.

I am trying to remember the name and exact location of a really great second-hand bookstore on Silom - run by a British chap as a kind of retirement hobby. He's a bibliophile and makes frequent trips to the UK to stock up. A wonderful selection of books, particularly on travel and Asian history, at very reasonable prices as he's not trying to make a fortune. The name escapes me for the moment, but I'll post it when I remember it, if no one else does.

Edited by Rumpole

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dentistry is a bargain.  :D

Have you been at the booze again? :D

I've had a pint of Adnams and some cheese and biscuits.

What is it with me and this 'alkie tag'??? :o:D

Ah! I've just twigged :D - you weren't talking about books (previous posts).

So, yes, dentistry is a bargain. So is having your ear wax sucked out. :D

Edited by RDN

I really want to find places like that. It may sound kind of lame but I really want to write fiction. I have had ideas for years and always wanted to live somewhere that would inspire as well as help me focus. I would like to think Bangkok might be able to help me. From the way my wife speaks of it (she gets a little watered up, she hasn't been home in a while) it sound like the coolest place.

I hear you, but beware there have been many would-be writers showing up in LOS/BKK with literary hopes and wind up sidetracked by bars, girls, and what-nots. What inspires can also detracts.

It's not a bad place. It has the potential of being a great place if you have the right attitude.

I really want to find places like that. It may sound kind of lame but I really want to write fiction. I have had ideas for years and always wanted to live somewhere that would inspire as well as help me focus. I would like to think Bangkok might be able to help me. From the way my wife speaks of it (she gets a little watered up, she hasn't been home in a while) it sound like the coolest place.

I hear you, but beware there have been many would-be writers showing up in LOS/BKK with literary hopes and wind up sidetracked by bars, girls, and what-nots. What inspires can also detracts.

It's not a bad place. It has the potential of being a great place if you have the right attitude.

I wouldn't worry about bar girls, I got a wife who has got me handcuffed to her at all times. Plus she is from Bangkok and wouldn't ket me near any of those places. :D

Thanks for the info Rumpole. :o