Need Some Help

filipef

Some time ago, I found in Patpong 1 (almost at the left end, if you start in Silom rd) a shop where I saw...how should I say in english (not my native language...)...small statues? dolls? puppets? ... of monks, very realistic, maybe made of wax.

I was told, inside the shop, the can made them with the face you ask the artist to, as long you provide some pics of the person you want to be the model (front, side and back).

There are 2 or 3 sizes, the small one about 20 cm high, the bigger ones about 40 cm, don't know if there was a medium size.

I can't remember exactly the price, though I know it was not cheap (well, what is cheap in Patpong, during the evening, for a typical farang tourist?). However, I thought it could be a unusual gift for someone, as long as I can get a good price.

Does anyone know about that shop? Can anyone get me their email adress and get to know their "best prices" (not for farang tourists)?

I thought I could email them first, send the pics after and arrange things to get the statue/puppet/doll when I am there for the next cold season holidays. All that in 2 months...

Thank you very much.

What else did the shop sell? Might be useful in identifying it. It was a shop though, not a stall... yes?

I'll be around Sala Daeng during the day tomorrow so could easily take a walk down and check for you.

That's right, it's a shop, not a stall. When I Found it, during the evening, I was passing by, behind the stalls. The shop has a lot of souvenir stuff, like little statues, "antiques" (with or without " ", I don't know), silver (or "silver"?). Not the fake rolexs or Nike stuff.

There were, maybe, 5-7 statues/dolls/puppets like the ones I told you about, realistic budhist monks, in the praying position.

Thank you for your help.

Ok, that makes sense. I'll take a walk down Patpong 1 tomorrow and have a look.

Thank you. I am now leaving for countryside until Sunday and I won't have internet access, I will read your information Sunday evening or Monday. Thanks again.

Ok. On the off chance you read this before then, I took a walk down there a few hours ago. Couldn't see the shop you mentioned- I went down Patpong 1 on the left hand side (with Silom Road to my back). But it quite early for the area and quite a few shops were shut. There was one place about 3/4s of the way down which sold small statues and so on, but couldn't see any praying monks.

The man working there spoke pretty bad English and even my efforts to explain in Thai what I was looking for were just met by confused looks and a shrug. It's possible he was just minding the place during the day. If I'm in the area (I live fairly nearby) during an evening I'll take another look, like I say it's possible the place wasn't open yet at 2pm- there's no that much tourist trade passing through there during the day.

I thank you very much for your help and effort.

post-47445-092573600 1284305544_thumb.jp

This is what I am talking about. This one is about 18-20 cm high.

Positive I have seen those Monk figurines (in varying sizes) in a few shops in JJ Mall (Jatujak) when I went past about a year ago.

Sorry, don't live close enough to go and have another look. :D Maybe another member could confirm? :)

I thank you very much for your help and effort.

post-47445-092573600 1284305544_thumb.jp

This is what I am talking about. This one is about 18-20 cm high.

Positive I have seen those Monk figurines (in varying sizes) in a few shops in JJ Mall (Jatujak) when I went past about a year ago.

Sorry, don't live close enough to go and have another look. :D Maybe another member could confirm? :)

You are probably right: this one was bought in JJ. However, in Feb 2008, they said they had closed their shop(s) in JJ and had only taht one in Silom. Maybe the information was wrong, but, some days before, I looked and I looked and I looked...and I asked in JJ and could not find.

Maybe they are in JJ again, now.