Thai Government To Help Motorcycle Taxis

webfact

As far as a ban goes, if they were banned from the footpath/sidewalks to the streets, it would be a good start. This group is no different than any other, there are good and not so good, and then those who are a downright menace to pedestrians, traffic, and society.

Personally, I would not hop on the back of those things if they paid me. Those that do, I just hope your accident insurance is paid up.

I'm not sure about Bangkok, but in Pattaya where they run rampant you hardly ever see accidents involving motorcycle taxis. They seem to have a 6th sense which keeps them upright.

Why help them?

They are dangerous and a pain in the ass when you try and drive down any soi. They think they own the roads just because they are working.

Ban them I say.

Help them get driving licences and insurance.

There is no reason to ban them. Indeed it would be stupid to do so. Over 3 million people everyday in Bangkok alone (over 25% of the entire city) rely on these guys for mobility. You ban them, you had better stand ready to replace them immediately with something equivalent, or you'd create chaos.

No, banning them is stupid. But they do need to be better regulated. Their prices need to be controlled by the Land Transport Department, they need to be forced to take safety courses, and overall they simply need to be professionalized. They are not capable of regulating themselves, and they offer too large a public service to allow the existing situation to continue.

Don't ban them. Regulate them, and in a big, big way.

Why help them?

They are dangerous and a pain in the ass when you try and drive down any soi. They think they own the roads just because they are working.

Ban them I say.

There is no reason to ban them. Indeed it would be stupid to do so. Over 3 million people everyday in Bangkok alone (over 25% of the entire city) rely on these guys for mobility. You ban them, you had better stand ready to replace them immediately with something equivalent, or you'd create chaos.

No, banning them is stupid. But they do need to be better regulated. Their prices need to be controlled by the Land Transport Department, they need to be forced to take safety courses, and overall they simply need to be professionalized. They are not capable of regulating themselves, and they offer too large a public service to allow the existing situation to continue.

Don't ban them. Regulate them, and in a big, big way.

Banning them would be stupid indeed and not only because I take a motorbike to get to the nearest BTS station in the morning. With a ban the traffic jam might reach a 24/7 status.

Regulate them, may be, but not in a big, big way. Anything big, big tends to attract people who like to take their cut of the budget. Start, but in small, easely managed steps I say. Promote better visibility of motor and driver, helmets, regular checkup of motors, how-to courses. After start with defining / refining / enforcing rules & regulations consistently and transparantly. Set up a helpdesk for complaints of users AND service providers. A multi-year plan.

(reason edit: forgot to read/correct before posting)

Edited by rubl

No actually its because the government wants them all registered so it will be harder for them to be sucked into helping rogue political activities. During the Red siege many MC taxi drivers were paid to support the reds.

If they were registered they would be less inclined to do bad deeds as the authorities will hold photos of them on record and it would be easier for the police to identify them if they do wrong.

Many years ago when I was living in Surawong Road I saw "during the General Suchinda coup" - MC taxi riders smashing up traffic lights after curfew the authorities were blaming a mysterious 3rd force.

Of course I think it will lead to a better deal for them as well, because they will legitimately have work and will be able to use that to get hire purchase on new bikes. at the moment most of them have to rely on loan sharks.

The riders will also be able to get insurance that will cover the passenger.

I agree they need some real support! Yeah, sad to see them getting annihilated on whiskey on top of working killer hours in the sun. The only ones I don't have a heart for are the rude animal ones down by nana, those guys are makin' a killing ripping of naive tourists. 20 baht to go less than 100 meters.

Don't ban them, they provide a very useful, cheap and fast service. Many will happily run a red light when the road is clear, which sometimes saves 2 minutes of pointless waiting. Nothing pisses me off more than being in a taxi and the driver jamming on his brakes as soon as the lights change to orange, just so he can make an extra 2 or 4 baht.

We should just make Bangkok exactly the same as London. That's what all you whiners seem to want?

Personally, I like the moto taxis are they are. They are quite convenient and very cheap. People who overpay are basically subsidizing people who refuse to overpay.

Motorcycle taxis are a vital transportation link in this country, especially the bigger cities.

Most have come from the northeast and have usually associated themselves with Thaksin and the Red Shirt movement. If this present government can make their working conditions better, help them financially in some way, I am sure many will,in time, come to realize the government isn't all that bad. They could be a valuable ally.

I would agree - but there needs to be some road sense drummed into them. I have had some really bad experiences on the back of them and wondered how I was not killed.

Many bad experiences?

How many bad experiences that nearly kill you does it take before you decide to use an alternative form of transportation?

A friend of mine from Harvard is doing his PhD research on motosai drivers. You all might be interested in reading his interview with New Mandala as well as the accompanying videos.

Video -

Video - Thai PBS Interview

That Mandala article was very interesting. Thanks. I take on average 3-4 motorcycle taxi rides per day. I have done so for nearly a decade. I know the routes I know the prices. I never ask, just give the correct amount and a bit more if there is heavy traffic or rain, or there are any special requests like a quick stop in a 7-11.

They seem to be decent guys for the most part. They are blue collar and they drink. Yes. But they could also be dead tomorrow given the insanity of driving a two-wheeled vehicle on the streets of BKK. They have run errands for me, helped me find a couple of good apartments/townhouses, and have backed me up in a conflict. They do a dangerous job and mostly they do it well. In their way they are the unsung heroes that make BKK work and my hats are off to them.

Don't ban them, they provide a very useful, cheap and fast service. Many will happily run a red light when the road is clear, which sometimes saves 2 minutes of pointless waiting. Nothing pisses me off more than being in a taxi and the driver jamming on his brakes as soon as the lights change to orange, just so he can make an extra 2 or 4 baht.

It never occurred to you that the driver just might try to avoid being nicked by the law and forced to pay 500 baht for jumping the red light? Or given a real ticket that would set him back 1000. That is the fine for red lighting. So waiting for the green is pointless waiting for you? And nothing pisses you off more than if a driver tries to follow the law. Then we are all very happy as long as you keep using a taxi and not drive yourself.

It never occurred to you that the driver just might try to avoid being nicked by the law and forced to pay 500 baht for jumping the red light? Or given a real ticket that would set him back 1000. That is the fine for red lighting. So waiting for the green is pointless waiting for you? And nothing pisses you off more than if a driver tries to follow the law. Then we are all very happy as long as you keep using a taxi and not drive yourself.

Do you take taxis very often? Don't you notice how they will deliberately drive slowly when the seconds are ticking down to 0 on the Green light, and slam on their brakes as soon as it changes to orange? I never said anything about the taxi drivers running reds.