Info About Kalisan

thailandbluegrass

I don't think Kalasin Plaza will be hurt too much. It is mostly upscale clothing products that doesn't really compete with Tesco Lotus. The food store might be hurt a bit. However if the food store got their stuff together and started to go after the farang market with products farangs want, like cheese good meat cuts and cold cuts,a good fresh market, large abundance of frozen foods, then the farangs would go there and maybe Thais also. If the Tesco Lotus is an Isaan style, like Roi-et and Mukdahan, then there will be nothing there for farangs except for maybe a Pizza Company store. George

Anyone have the directions to get to the fishing park in kalasin,pianoman mentioned this place to me last year but have not had a chance to go there. thanks nev

I can't tell you about Kalasin, but it may be of interest that there are at least two fishing parks in Kantarawichai, just across the boundary into Maha Sarakham province. From Kalasin, you would drive through Yang Talat and then through the town centre of Kantarawichai. You'll eventually see the main temple on the right and should take a right turn immediately after the temple grounds. Go straight on, even when the paved road turns to mud. After about one km you'll see the first fishing park on the right. To get to the second one keep going further down what is quite a rough mud road. You'll come to a crossroads near a water treatment station. Go straight on and you'll come to another fishing park at the end of the track (turn right through a gateway). Had you turned right at the crossroads you would come out onto the Kantarawichai to Chiang Yuen road, which is another way in.

Would be interested to hear about the fishing parks in Kalasin.

Edited by citizen33

I can't tell you about Kalasin, but it may be of interest that there are at least two fishing parks in Kantarawichai, just across the boundary into Maha Sarakham province. From Kalasin, you would drive through Yang Talat and then through the town centre of Kantarawichai. You'll eventually see the main temple on the right and should take a right turn immediately after the temple grounds. Go straight on, even when the paved road turns to mud. After about one km you'll see the first fishing park on the right. To get to the second one keep going further down what is quite a rough mud road. You'll come to a crossroads near a water treatment station. Go straight on and you'll come to another fishing park at the end of the track (turn right through a gateway). Had you turned right at the crossroads you would come out onto the Kantarawichai to Chiang Yuen road, which is another way in.

There is a fishing park at bo yai borabu on chaeng sahit rd maha sarakan highway23 is this the one you mean mate?

I went the one in khon kaen caught some nice fish,but it is a 100k drive for me,maybe kalasin 70ks,i live non kung si the other side of lam pao dam.

Maybe when i find out where the fishing park is,do you want to meet for a days fishing? nev

Edited by nev

There is a fishing park at bo yai borabu on chaeng sahit rd maha sarakan highway23 is this the one you mean mate?

I went the one in khon kaen caught some nice fish,but it is a 100k drive for me,maybe kalasin 70ks,i live non kung si the other side of lam pao dam.

Maybe when i find out where the fishing park is,do you want to meet for a days fishing? nev

It isn't the one you mention. These two fishing parks are both just off Highway 213, close to the town of Kantarawichai. As mentioned turn off the 213 onto the side road beside the temple and they are quite close together. They both have large carp that must be returned to the water, plus several species of edible fish, including cat fish. The entry price isn't high - about 60 baht which gives you your first couple of kilo - and you pay by excess weight thereafter. I don't know if these parks would be worth your long drive (probably via Chiang Yuen?) though. There must be many like this in Isaan. I'm afraid that I'm in the UK at present, though I went fishing several times at these parks in July and August.

Anyone have the directions to get to the fishing park in kalasin,pianoman mentioned this place to me last year but have not had a chance to go there. thanks nev

Here is a try at posting a link to where the fishing park is that I was talking about in Kalasin... I haven't been there in the last year, but I am sure that they are still there...

http://maps.google.co.th/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Kalasin+Muang+Kalasin&sll=13.0376,101.491373&sspn=23.012718,28.125&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Kalasin,+Muang+Kalasin,+Kalasin&ll=16.422177,103.502723&spn=0.002784,0.005477&z=18

If you view it as a satellite view you can see the square pond / lake of the park... It is off of the By Pass / Hywy just before the Big Tire shop when heading towards Khon Kaen...

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

Thanks very much Pianoman! I see it is just a little way on along the 213 from the turn to the Rimpao Hotel

In case anybody is interested, the better of the two Kantarawichai fishing parks can be found by typing the following into Google maps.

My attempt to post a link didn't work

The fishing park shows up as the little cluster of pools with a circular building jutting out over the main pool.

The other park is towards the right of the map, just past the junction on the dirt road and does not show up as well. Highway 213 is just off the right edge of the map and is the best way in from Kalasin.

Sorry if this is a bit garbled - I haven't mastered how to post Google map locations!

Edited by citizen33

Thanks very much Pianoman! I see it is just a little way on along the 213 from the turn to the Rimpao Hotel

In case anybody is interested, the better of the two Kantarawichai fishing parks can be found by typing the following into Google maps.

My attempt to post a link didn't work

The fishing park shows up as the little cluster of pools with a circular building jutting out over the main pool.

The other park is towards the right of the map, just past the junction on the dirt road and does not show up as well. Highway 213 is just off the right edge of the map and is the best way in from Kalasin.

Sorry if this is a bit garbled - I haven't mastered how to post Google map locations!

Citizen i have a good idea where the ones you mentioned are i will check them out too,thanks mate.

There are 2 more Fishing Parks that I know of in Kalasin , both on Route12.

The first is down a little track just before the site of the new Tesco , the Honda and Ford dealerships are on the left and there is an Isuzu dealer on the right , the Soi is on the same side as Isuzu, about 500m or so further up just after a second hand car place and a couple of houses but before the Tesco site.

The second place is further up the same road (12), go through 2 sets of traffic lights and continue on 12, on the left hand side there is a sign in Thai but with the word CUP in English , turn down that track for the Fishing. A bit further along 12 there is also a driving range .

Hope that helps

Also was told that there is now a shop in Kalasin that is supplying Quality Beef from the Thai-French Beef Coop. in Sakhon Nakhon... I will search at out later today as I am out of both Hamburger and steaks...

Pianoman

Did you find this place ? Any good ?

Totster :D

There are 2 more Fishing Parks that I know of in Kalasin , both on Route12.

The first is down a little track just before the site of the new Tesco , the Honda and Ford dealerships are on the left and there is an Isuzu dealer on the right , the Soi is on the same side as Isuzu, about 500m or so further up just after a second hand car place and a couple of houses but before the Tesco site.

The second place is further up the same road (12), go through 2 sets of traffic lights and continue on 12, on the left hand side there is a sign in Thai but with the word CUP in English , turn down that track for the Fishing. A bit further along 12 there is also a driving range .

Hope that helps

Thanks mate i will add to the list of fishing parks to visit.

Also was told that there is now a shop in Kalasin that is supplying Quality Beef from the Thai-French Beef Coop. in Sakhon Nakhon... I will search at out later today as I am out of both Hamburger and steaks...

Pianoman

Did you find this place ? Any good ?

Totster :D

Stopped by and my wife spoke with the young girl at the shop, who knew almost nothing.... She gave us the phone # of the owner who explained that they would order for us from Sakhon Nakhon and we could pick up in 2 to 3 days... But she said that they did not offer Hamburger Meat as there was no way to grind it... Since I always get at least 2 kilo of Hamburger along with my Steaks, we decided to keep using the shop in Khon Kaen as we make that trip for shopping about once a month anyway...

Pianoman

According to the signs posted around town, the New Swensen's Ice Cream shop will open in the Plaza today, the 29th... I think that I will try to avoid the place for at least a week or more to keep from being trampled in the crowds... But I am looking forward to enjoying some of their excellent Ice Cream Cakes....

Mr. Donut and now Swensen's, there goes any hope of maintaining my current weight....

Pianoman

• 2 months later...

Just like to add there is a golf course being built at yang talat on the left comming from khon kaen 1k before the left turn to kalasin.

Had a look around today starting to take shape i know 2 workers there,will be 18 holes and around 1500 baht a round.

Hi, found and visited the site today, 5th january 2011. we were very welcome, but course far away from opening, we were told may or june 2011. looks a good 18 hole long course, centered around a large lake with water lined fairways and greens. Will be a tough course when open and mature. will keep posted.

• 1 month later...

Just like to add there is a golf course being built at yang talat on the left comming from khon kaen 1k before the left turn to kalasin.

Had a look around today starting to take shape i know 2 workers there,will be 18 holes and around 1500 baht a round.

Hi, found and visited the site today, 5th january 2011. we were very welcome, but course far away from opening, we were told may or june 2011. looks a good 18 hole long course, centered around a large lake with water lined fairways and greens. Will be a tough course when open and mature. will keep posted.

Drove by the course today on my way from Khon Kaen to Sakon Nakhon.... looks to be an interesting layout. Hope someone who lives in the area can keep us updated on the progress and opening.