Online Tv For Free, Online Radio, What Are The Best Choices

bangkokcitylimits

Overview of free worldwide TV live stream, online radio, watch movies, documentaries, series online on your desktop

A great free desktop TV player that allows you to watch live TV stations from all over the world is Livestation.com. All programmes can be viewed on the website also or you can download the free player. For a small one time payment you can upgrade, this has some benefits like more channels, better streams, no ads etc. Although not all the mentioned streams are working, it's still worth downloading this great little tool. The stream itself is very good even in Thailand, without interruptions.

A wonderful solution for listening online radio is SpiderPlayer, the ultimate webradio- and music player/recorder. It's fully functional for free and an upgrade offers the option to download music. Can also be used as a mediaplayer in general. Call it's index of Shoutcast and Icecast stations and you easily choose of a million of webradio stations worldwide, shows the number of current listeners, streamquality etc.

On the SpiderPlayer widget click the button upper left > radio, let the Shoutcast station index upload and add your favorite programs to the playist.

Or, at the bottom of Spiders Playlist click the '+' > URL to add radiostreams that are not in the index, manually. To do this you need the stream URL that end with .pls or .m3u. On the internet are several lists with stream URL's available. You can do a Google search query like 'MyRadio .pls .m3u'

Other good radio widgets are the BS Player and RadioSure player.

Best choice of other livestream-related websites that may be interesting for you are:

Archive Internet (library of interesting old, many vintage material)

Cast TV (watch TV shows, movies online)

Current (news video clips)

Fast Pass (watch TV and documentaries online)

Grooveshark (music network)

Live Station (live tv, as mentioned above)

MoviesFoundOnline (watch movies online)

MVGroup Forums (member forum that offers documentaries)

PBSNEW (watch TV and documentaries online)

RadioTuna (free online radio)

SKY.fm (free online radio)

Snagfilms (documentaries online)

Top Documentary Films

TV Blinkx (tv series)

TV Channels Free (live tv oline)

VBS.TV (watch TV and documentaries online)

Yahoo (free online radio)

The website linkmi.net offers a useful overview of all mentioned live stream widgets and websites.

screenshot of the TV player, as mentioned above

capture053.png

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

Wow that is great bit of info Thank you, will this work on Mac as well?

I just got word about Boxee, beta I will paste what i received maybe this might

work with Mac also and in Thailand and help some of the readers?

On Aug 28, 2010, at 9:19 AM, Team Boxee wrote:

We launched a new version of the Boxee Beta today (http://boxee.tv/download).

As part of this version we have opened up our Movie Library (click on Movies from the main screen, then select “Movie Library” from the sidebar). It includes thousands of movies from launch partners: EZTakes (http://eztakes.com), Indie Movies Online (http://indiemoviesonline.com/), MUBI (http://mubi.com) and Openfilm (http://openfilm.com/). Most of these movies are available for free (ad supported) and we’ve made sure international users will have many options as well.

The Movie Library makes it easy to find, watch or queue movies you like. This new library is still a bit rough around the edges (you’ll notice some movie artwork is missing), but we wanted to share it with you sooner rather than later. Building off this initial foundation, the Movie Library will grow to include movies from additional online movie services and directly from studios. While the movie selection will grow, the experience and ease of discovery will remain the same.

As always this latest version of the Boxee Beta includes many bug fixes (more than 100 in this latest build).

Sincerely

Avner & Team Boxee

Become a Fan on facebook.com/boxee

Follow @boxee on Twitter

I wrote them about using with my old AppleTV, but no response yet, this response is what came, so with your info and this it looks like we can get allot of good things here in LOS? Do you have any info on Mac and Apple tv the old version and your info and Boxee?

Additionally, for those who like to add radio streams manually to e.g. Spider Player, here are some references where you can obtain free radio stream url's:

url's with .pls or .m3u suffix usually work fine.

The Icecast Index

The Shoutcast Index

Digitally Imported

Listen Live (europe)

US Liveradio (us of a)

Canadian Webradio

Australian Live Radio

NZ Radioguide (new zealand)

IPhoneclub (netherlands, belgium)

Shoutcast Streams (netherlands, belgium radio, tv)

--

Free skins for Spider Player

screenshot: Spider Player and Playlist on my desktop

capture054.png

The problem is that you can't access these website from Bangkok since April because of the blockage from CRES

for sports:myp2p.eu

ustream.tv

channelsurfing.net

justin.tv

I tested these yesterday (in chiang mai) but wasn't very enthusiastic, all did not pass my quality selection.

Best tested movie/TV/documentary/series channels you find here (category 'streaming media channels' / same website as mentioned in 1st post)

Many people don't know that YouTube has a full length film channel YouTube Movie Channel

Very nice weekend to everybody.

• Like 1

Jon, I'm not sure what to make of that site you recommend here...

I tried its USA page this morning, picking about 10 channels at random among the LONG list of links they show, including CNN and ESPN, and every single one said "not available". The site seems to be LONG on links and very short on anything that actually works.

One of the best free internet TV sites is http://the-best.tv

Simply select a country and go from there, as most of the world is covered.

Jon, I'm not sure what to make of that site you recommend here...

I tried its USA page this morning, picking about 10 channels at random among the LONG list of links they show, including CNN and ESPN, and every single one said "not available". The site seems to be LONG on links and very short on anything that actually works.

One of the best free internet TV sites is http://the-best.tv

Simply select a country and go from there, as most of the world is covered.

I tried also and had the same result... nothing. :(

Oh dear, I do not know what to say, as many of them work here. Ah well forget that one then if it is a "only works for me site, and no one else"

Same here, simply none of them work, not even the Thai ones.

Would find it rather strange as well to see all the True Sports channels working on live steaming!

post-4701-089742900 1284168245_thumb.jpg

Here you can watch BBC Sports: click but it's a bit... small :lol: It is a Dutchy website, good setup, lot of channels that work well, just very small screens and most of them are Dutch channels, but was just watching a Spanish channel. Too low quality however.

Two others I'm testing (not only live TV) are this and this all not very impressive.

And this one, Spreety.com this is a very good one, need to install the TVU player to view this channels, uninterrupted stream and not too small, finally something acceptable.

edit: The best options that will come up in this topic I will submit them to the website mentioned in the first post.

Nice dark day here in Chiang Mai I love it.

BKCL, do you actually look at any of the sites and links you recommend here, before you recommend them??

I looked at your Spreety.com, and found a bunch of non working links, links to paid subscription services like NFL Field Pass, and links to well-known commercial web sites that don't show live streams but instead short video clips and podcasts.... Nothing than a Google search wouldn't produce.

IMHO, you need to turn down your volume, and turn up your quality...

And this one, Spreety.com this is a very good one, need to install the TVU player to view this channels, uninterrupted stream and not too small, finally something acceptable.

BKCL, do you actually look at any of the sites and links you recommend here, before you recommend them??

I looked at your Spreety.com, and found a bunch of non working links, links to paid subscription services like NFL Field Pass, and links to well-known commercial web sites that don't show live streams but instead short video clips and podcasts.... Nothing than a Google search wouldn't produce.

IMHO, you need to turn down your volume, and turn up your quality...

For the website yes ofcourse, testing and selecting is the backbone of the site. But many here on TV just enjoy to discover and try them all so here it's not my goal to not place just 'my personal' top 10 here. After the first 'overview' post it's just me and other members adding other ones we found.

Usually the first impression of a website says enough, about the last one mentioned, not impressed, small and unsharp picas.

On Spreety I found some very good HQ TV on demand links though.

PS, please keep your 'IMHO' comments for yourself, I did not ask for a teacher nor personal coach. Please try to keep this forum nice, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Additionally, for those who like to add radio streams manually to e.g. Spider Player, here are some references where you can obtain free radio stream url's:

url's with .pls or .m3u suffix usually work fine.

The Icecast Index

The Shoutcast Index

Digitally Imported

Listen Live (europe)

US Liveradio (us of a)

Canadian Webradio

Australian Live Radio

NZ Radioguide (new zealand)

IPhoneclub (netherlands, belgium)

Shoutcast Streams (netherlands, belgium radio, tv)

--

Free skins for Spider Player

screenshot: Spider Player and Playlist on my desktop

capture054.png

Funny, came across a Thai friend a few weeks ago, who was playing the most fantastic "western music" which I thought was playing from computer music files, but found he was playing through Shoutcast..., which I had never heard of before (or any of these sites before!) Opens up a whole new world to listening to music! Saves changing Cd's too!

I've not had time to check all these above links out, but certainly Shoutcast & Digitally Imported (DI) provide some excellent quality of music choices in all Genres... :D

I actually subscribed to DI to get the CD quality through my sound system, (although the MP3 quality is not that bad) full stereo sound with very few "glitches" & it does not seem to interfere with taking up bandwidth... the SkyFM channels at the bottom of the drop down menu are particularly good. But there seems to be good choice of selections from around the world.

If you just have a laptop / net book, it's worth getting a pair of external speakers... 7-11 has some at 299 baht... impressive improvement on quality of sound for the price of them!

Edit: PS the two I mentioned do work on Mac as well....

Now to try some of the TV channels! ;)

Edited by samuijimmy

• 7 months later...