Thailand Sends Off Two Warships To Tackle Somali Pirates

webfact

It seems it's about 371 Navy personnel ((mostly sailors ) and 20 special forces. Now that starts to make sense.

The HTMS Pattani has a crew of 85. The HTMS Similan has a crew of 125. That leaves 170+ marines and SEALs.

My 371 came from another source, not necessarily correct. Not my area of special knowledge anyway. Still with the numbers you provide the ships seem a bit overcrowded?

Not at all, those are small crew numbers for those types of ships. The Similan is extremely large ship for a 125. There's plenty of room left over for the "grunts" (Marines and SEALs) to "rack out" (sleep). As a comparison, marine amphibious ships can hold 4,000 and more marines. A lot of media misspeak when they write in terms of "sailors" and "troops" and "marines".

It seems it's about 371 Navy personnel ((mostly sailors ) and 20 special forces. Now that starts to make sense.

The HTMS Pattani has a crew of 85. The HTMS Similan has a crew of 125. That leaves 170+ marines and SEALs.

My 371 came from another source, not necessarily correct. Not my area of special knowledge anyway. Still with the numbers you provide the ships seem a bit overcrowded?

Not at all, those are small crew numbers for those types of ships. The Similan is extremely large ship for a 125. There's plenty of room left over for the "grunts" (Marines and SEALs) to "rack out" (sleep). As a comparison, marine amphibious ships can hold 4,000 and more marines. A lot of media misspeak when they write in terms of "sailors" and "troops" and "marines".

I was a simple 'dogface', how would I know ;)

The pirates have hijacked several Thai vessels, including three fishing boats with 77 people on board that were seized in April. Several ships passing through the gulf, one of the world's busiest maritime trade routes, have been hijacked over the past few years.

Not to mention to Pirate "Mother Ship" sunk by the Indian Navy that turned out to be a Thai fishing vessel that had been hijacked

Good for the RTN! Let's hope that they catch some pirates.

Let's hope they don't. The prosecution process is a legal nightmare and an expensive process. Kenya doesn't want the burden of holding them and putting them on trial anymore. None of the arab countries at risk wants anything to do with the problem and has refused to take any of the captured pirates. It's why the NATO ships haven't been taking prisoners lately. Total hassle. The US put one pirate on trial in the US recently. The guy was in 7th heaven. Life in a US federal prison beats living in Somalia. The Russians set some captured prisoners adrift, presumably to die on the sea. It didn't go over well with the Somalis who have promised to murder any Russian vessel crews in retaliation. Strangely enough, none of the usual human rights groups at the UN said boo. Not a word from Libya, Cuba etc. Although they did wag their finger at Canada and France after non violent interdictions.

Maybe the Thais will apply their Rohingyha strategy and and set the pirates adrift. ;)

Personally, I think if they killed a few of these thugs, the message would sink in over time.

What happened to keel-hauling, walking the plank and hanging from the yardarm?

For those of you expecting dramatic interventions, please look at the type of vessels deployed;

HTMS Pattani is a Chinese built offshore patrol vessel and the HTMS Similan is a Chinese built supply ship.

Dhakar isn't so far off the mark when he references a fishery patrol vessel, although the Thai OPV is larger than the typical fisheries patrol craft in use in Australia and Canada and carries more lethal equipment, plus a helicopter. The Thai vessels will most likely be used in a deterrence role and not an interdiction role.

I was having a chuckle at the reference to the USN and Thai navy reference. The training is sort of limited and more for PR purposes. The reality is that one has to have similar equipment and operating procedures to really train efffectively. The NATO navies interchange command officers on a regular basis. Equipment is usually compatible and the navies have a good knowledge of each other's capabilities. It is common to have Australian and Canadian naval personnel exchanged. A point of trivia is that Australia, the world's leader in non violent boarding techniques, provided valuable insight and expertise to the US and Canadian navies. One benefit of getting innundated with illegal immigrant and fishing boats, I suppose.

I believe that the Thai vessels are going to serve in the CTF-151 which is currently commanded by a Turkish Admiral. Although backed by 25 nations including Russia, with the Chinese acting autonomously, the Thai response is due to some pressure being brought to bear. Countries like Australia, Canada, the Netherlands and Denmark were fed up of subsidizing the marine cargo routes of countries that benefit from the Gulf of Aden traffic. They told countries that were benefiting from the activity to step up and contribute.

It's about tme that the Thais send a contribution considering the fact that some of the fuel imported into the Kingdom and rice exported goes along this route. It is unfair to expect countries like the Netherlands (submarine), Australia (personnel & warship), Canada( 3 vessels) to subsidize the economies of those that benefit most from this sea route. . None of these countries has to be there since there is no real economic interest and they should not be expected to piss the millions away on protecting the interests of other countries.

Spot on.

If there's one thing the Thais know very well from the 1970s, it's (as pirates themselves) how to brutally rape (in that case, Vietnamese and Chinese women) and murder (all the Viet men on the boat)...

Yeah because a bunch of murderous pirates are reflective of Thai society as a whole. Get a grip.:rolleyes:

19 days to the Somali coast???? Used to 9 days from Singapore to the Suez Canal and that was on a 50,000+ ton container ship! What speed will they be doing, 10 knots??

:huh:

Either way, hoping they have a good trip and a safe return.

be fair they can only row so fast and the pirates wont hear them coming even thuogh the navy told them they were on way to scare them

someone probably heard the pirates had a stash of mercedes cars

Q: What's that scraping sound?

A: Oh, that--just the bottom of the barrel.

But seriously folks, the pirates are in grave danger, standing between Thais and potential loot.

If the Thais do capture a pirated ship, the Thai admiral will immediately be on the sat-phone to his 'fence!'

BREAKING NEWS! A Thai warship successfully repelled another Thai warship near the Somali coast. One ship had the yellow flag and the other a red one. No comment from either captains when a reporter asked them where the bullet holes are, as none were found on board. :whistling:

Sorry, I can't read the article b/c I can not stop laughing at the headline. LOL oh yea Amazing Thailand..... What a funny place.

For those of you expecting dramatic interventions, please look at the type of vessels deployed;

HTMS Pattani is a Chinese built offshore patrol vessel and the HTMS Similan is a Chinese built supply ship.

Dhakar isn't so far off the mark when he references a fishery patrol vessel, although the Thai OPV is larger than the typical fisheries patrol craft in use in Australia and Canada and carries more lethal equipment, plus a helicopter. The Thai vessels will most likely be used in a deterrence role and not an interdiction role.

I was having a chuckle at the reference to the USN and Thai navy reference. The training is sort of limited and more for PR purposes. The reality is that one has to have similar equipment and operating procedures to really train efffectively. The NATO navies interchange command officers on a regular basis. Equipment is usually compatible and the navies have a good knowledge of each other's capabilities. It is common to have Australian and Canadian naval personnel exchanged. A point of trivia is that Australia, the world's leader in non violent boarding techniques, provided valuable insight and expertise to the US and Canadian navies. One benefit of getting innundated with illegal immigrant and fishing boats, I suppose.

I believe that the Thai vessels are going to serve in the CTF-151 which is currently commanded by a Turkish Admiral. Although backed by 25 nations including Russia, with the Chinese acting autonomously, the Thai response is due to some pressure being brought to bear. Countries like Australia, Canada, the Netherlands and Denmark were fed up of subsidizing the marine cargo routes of countries that benefit from the Gulf of Aden traffic. They told countries that were benefiting from the activity to step up and contribute.

It's about tme that the Thais send a contribution considering the fact that some of the fuel imported into the Kingdom and rice exported goes along this route. It is unfair to expect countries like the Netherlands (submarine), Australia (personnel & warship), Canada( 3 vessels) to subsidize the economies of those that benefit most from this sea route. . None of these countries has to be there since there is no real economic interest and they should not be expected to piss the millions away on protecting the interests of other countries.

Why are the sailors wearing life jackets? They're not even in blue water and they are thinking of sinking already?

If you hit your head when going overboard during getting underway and line handling -six feet or 1000 won't matter. Do you only wear your seat belt on the freeway.?

Yeah, let's just hope they themselves don't get pirated. It's 'Puntland' BTW- not 'Punland (no one would stop laughing)- one of the three parts of 'modern' Somalia, the third being Somaliland, the most civilized of the three. Love the Gilligan clip.

Why are the sailors wearing life jackets? They're not even in blue water and they are thinking of sinking already?

If you hit your head when going overboard during getting underway and line handling -six feet or 1000 won't matter.  Do you only wear your seat belt on the freeway.?

I served in the RN for 12 years. I never heard of anyone going overboard when getting under way and still within a harbour, and that includes Scapa Flow where it blows a bit most of the time. Maybe that was because we were a professional and almost entirely volunteer Navy and knew what we were doing. 'Nozzers' who put themselves at risk were quickly disavowed of doing so by a Petty Officer or Leading Seaman in no uncertain terms.The only time that life jackets were worn was by the seaboat's crew.and then only when the sea condition warranted it.. 

I attach my seatbelt in a car before moving off and always have done since they were introduced in the UK in the sixties. Given the moronic behaviour of road users in Thailand I consider it to be totally sensible.  What wearing a seatbelt on a motorway has to do with going to sea escapes me. Have you ever been to sea? 

• Like 1

If you hit your head when going overboard during getting underway and line handling -six feet or 1000 won't matter. Do you only wear your seat belt on the freeway.?

I served in the RN for 12 years. I never heard of anyone going overboard when getting under way and still within a harbour, and that includes Scapa Flow where it blows a bit most of the time. Maybe that was because we were a professional and almost entirely volunteer Navy and knew what we were doing. 'Nozzers' who put themselves at risk were quickly disavowed of doing so by a Petty Officer or Leading Seaman in no uncertain terms.The only time that life jackets were worn was by the seaboat's crew.and then only when the sea condition warranted it..

I attach my seatbelt in a car before moving off and always have done since they were introduced in the UK in the sixties. Given the moronic behaviour of road users in Thailand I consider it to be totally sensible. What wearing a seatbelt on a motorway has to do with going to sea escapes me. Have you ever been to sea?

Entering and leaving port is a dangerous time for crew members as they have to deal with mooring ropes and wires which can break under strain and send them overboard, probably unconcious or injuried, in these circumstances a lifejacket can be a life saver, you probably do not realise that most Navys now follow this practice.

I am pleased to see Thailand contributing to the NATO effort and wish them well, and yes, a little bit of Thai "common sense" like just drown the b.........ds. rather than European diplomacy may give the pirates something to think about.

I served in the RN for 12 years.

Do you expect everyone on this forum to know what 'RN' means?

(just curious smile.gif )

Since this is a topic about naval vessels, RN surely stands for 'registered nurse' ;)

PS it is a slow day, isn't it)

I served in the RN for 12 years.

Do you expect everyone on this forum to know what 'RN' means?

(just curious smile.gif )

Since this is a topic about naval vessels, RN surely stands for 'registered nurse' ;)

PS it is a slow day, isn't it)

So he served in the "Registered Nurse".

Was this the name of a ship?

Entering and leaving port is a dangerous time for crew members as they have to deal with mooring ropes and wires which can break under strain and send them overboard, probably unconcious or injuried, in these circumstances a lifejacket can be a life saver, you probably do not realise that most Navys now follow this practice.

I fell about laughing at this as did my mates from all those years ago. I and my 5 pals have over 100 years service afloat. and none of us have heard of a wire hawser snapping. One or two 'sang' , a real sailor will know what I mean by that. I would add that we were all in the Seaman branch, not a cook, signalman or stoker amongst us.  No decent seaman would allow undue stress on a wire. If it starts to vibrate and 'sing'  under stress you would feed out a little slack to preserve the wires condition. Overstressed wires develop kinks making them almost impossible to coil or reel them up them neatly. Furthermore individual strands may break thus inflicting deep cuts on the hands of anybody handling them. The Commanding Officer of a ship should use engine room and helm orders to bring a ship alongside, not bring it to a halt with the berthing wires. 

Can you tell me how to snap a wire when casting off? 

If you think entering or leaving harbour is dangerous maybe you should experience a typhoon in the South China Sea or a winter gale in the North Atlantic. Maybe you think that those working the Gosport or Mersey ferries deserve a medal. Is the Staten Island ferry manned by heroes?  Do get real. The ersatz matelots in the picture are in such mortal danger that they are waving goodbye? God help them if they run into a spot of  'roughers'. 

Study the picture of an RN frigate, HMS Dido I think. Not a life jacket in sight.

post-35987-092655100 1284810772_thumb.jp