Is The Opinion Of Young Thai Men Towards Prostitution Changing?

flowerman134

Thank you to those who used the report button. Appreciate members actively helping.

Ive put a note in the reports about this thread, because actually, i dont wish to close it..IF it can be considered ok within the rules. Personally I think could make for a very interesting discussion. I will wait for other admin/mods opinion on whether or not we can let this thread remain open.

It is hard to judge unless you are a Thai male who has grown into adulthood. As farangs we can only make assumptions based on what we've seen.

I do know that young Thai males seldom use condoms and have no compunction with getting Thai girls pregnant. There are no laws that make Thai males take responsibility for their own actions, so I see no reason why their attitude would change towards prostitution. Like it or not, Thailand is still a male dominant society.

I've got personal experience of this through a few Thai families I've helped support. The daughters all got pregnant at an early age and the boys/men did the runner thing. Where do you think that 90% of the women working farang bars come from? Most have at least one child from a Thai male who took off. The gals rightly figured if they were going to be used that way then why not make a profit from it.

But, it's still only a certain segment of Thai society that use prostitutes or have a mai noi (second wife)

• Like 1

But, it's still only a certain segment of Thai society that use prostitutes or have a mai noi (second wife)

Spot on Ian.

Unlike the Farang segment of Thai society in Thailand, many of whom travel 1000's of Kms for that, and only that reason.

I know, TV members are different.....blink.gif

Unless we have young male Thai members willing to post their opinions then I'm afraid all we are going to be treated to is the prejudicial views of expats and wanabe expats.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup, young Thai males are too busy getting laid to sit around discussing it on a computer. :blink::lol:

Unless we have young male Thai members willing to post their opinions then I'm afraid all we are going to be treated to is the prejudicial views of expats and wanabe expats.

This may be right but this is quite an interesting topic. I guess any serious answer would have to consider things like (a) Where does the 'gik' phenomenon fit in? (b ) Is there a kind of market segmentation whereby prostitution is actually a less threatening form of extra-marital liaison for a certain (probably older) section of the population? (c ) How far are traditional moral norms changing in the colleges and universities? On the last point this thesis suggests the answer is surprisingly little, but it is a few years old.

http://www.wcc.hawaii.edu/facstaff/dagrossa-p/dissertation/

Just to try out a controversial and probably over-simple hypothesis:

gik = new order.

prostitution = part of traditional order.

Probably the social class differences in attitudes are also very significant.

Edited by citizen33

FlowerMan,

I think you're gonna be my new Hero, if only for the Nickname....Is it a bird, id it a plane, no its Flowerman !!! laugh.gif

You won't last long, but it'll be a laugh while you're here, miserable lot here mate. smile.gif

Speak for yourself...

and me; thanks

SC

I always wonder about people who put their date of birth in their username; you must be ages with my dear old late Grandmother

Edited by StreetCowboy

well one thing i have definitely noticed is that thailand is more liberal these days towards premarital sex. one would consider that this might make the use of prostitutes by young men less common.

Valid point! Why go out for hamburger when you can have steaks at (their) homes?

well i also think it is one of those things such as cigarettes or alcohol that is habit forming. if a young man cannot have sex with a girl unless they marry, he is likely to form the habit of using prostitutes at an early age and it will shape his mental psyche and approach towards women. if he is capable of having consensual sex without marriage then perhaps the way he views sex will be more romantic and emotional based as opposed to transactional.

from this perspective, i do feel that young thai men are becoming more what some people here call Westernized in their relationships with women.

• Like 1

Flowerman, you could be right. Losing that Belgian accent has made you remarkably sensible!

My two brother-in-laws, both in their forties claim never to have visited prostitutes. They could be telling the truth because they're quite handsome, played in a professional pop band at one point in their lives and never had trouble getting laid. I guess to them, visiting a prostitute would be like admitting they've lost their mojo.

well i also think it is one of those things such as cigarettes or alcohol that is habit forming. if a young man cannot have sex with a girl unless they marry, he is likely to form the habit of using prostitutes at an early age and it will shape his mental psyche and approach towards women. if he is capable of having consensual sex without marriage then perhaps the way he views sex will be more romantic and emotional based as opposed to transactional.

from this perspective, i do feel that young thai men are becoming more what some people here call Westernized in their relationships with women.

yesterday you made this comment in the neighbours topic post #33

"ps ---- i am study muay thai many year and very good "

i think you have had a crash course in english as well. nice one.

It is hard to judge unless you are a Thai male who has grown into adulthood. As farangs we can only make assumptions based on what we've seen.

I do know that young Thai males seldom use condoms and have no compunction with getting Thai girls pregnant. There are no laws that make Thai males take responsibility for their own actions, so I see no reason why their attitude would change towards prostitution. Like it or not, Thailand is still a male dominant society.

I've got personal experience of this through a few Thai families I've helped support. The daughters all got pregnant at an early age and the boys/men did the runner thing. Where do you think that 90% of the women working farang bars come from? Most have at least one child from a Thai male who took off. The gals rightly figured if they were going to be used that way then why not make a profit from it.

Thailand does have child support laws, and lots of other laws as well, I have seen plenty of Thai males in the news being forced by the law to take responsibility for their actions. ALL countries are male dominated even with a female prime ministers these days. I guess pimping and pandering is Thai exclusive as well ? :whistling: .......... The runner thing is as high as 50% for some groups in the USA ......... Just more , the west is better, bias.

• Like 1

About Thai male attitudes towards prostitution...My random opinion ~ I doubt many young men would go; huge loss of face & it is far easier for them (more so than say their farang equiv) to pick up a girl through normal channels. I imagine the Thai clientele at the brothels would consist of policeman and single men aged over 40 with alcholism issues.

I think you will find there are far more thai brothels in Thailand than farang ones,so the answer is no,no,no

There are 2 reasons for this.

First, the farang brothels fall under strict police controls and limits are put on how many are permitted to open and where they may open.

Second, farangs make up only a very small percentage of the population, so there will be more actual Thai brothels to accommodate the majority of users, the Thais, the much higher percentage of clientele.

About Thai male attitudes towards prostitution...My random opinion ~ I doubt many young men would go; huge loss of face & it is far easier for them (more so than say their farang equiv) to pick up a girl through normal channels. I imagine the Thai clientele at the brothels would consist of policeman and single men aged over 40 with alcholism issues.

Sounds like the type of guy that drives a bmw, porsche or ferrari to visit one of those upscale joints..

All the the high end MP's, Gentlemen and Member Clubs are full of young (rich) asian men..

All I know about is the area I live in . The young guys from the local high school can be found hanging out at the 3 local areas at night that sell beer and rent women.The guys find a way to get 300 baht and go visit the place.Here there are quite a few short time hotels that will order in for you upon arrival I cannot say what age group uses it but appears to be a lot of motorcycles there compared to trucks and cars ( young people ride motorcycles). Lastly the university pimping is done by local young guys, who also use the service.

It appears to me that it is young guys using this service in the area I live. When i talk to the older guys they will have nothing to do with it. The old guys have giks and mia nois.