Arriving In Bangkok Really Late On Monday

joe7

Hi,

I've just had to book a flight from UK to Bangkok, arriving 20:30 on Monday night. This probably isn't the most ideal time to be arriving in a city I've never been before!

The one suggestion I've been given is jump on the new Sky Link and get a lift to Sukhumvit - then try and find somewhere to stay from there.

Does anyone have any recommendations for myself? I just want somewhere cheap full of traveler and perhaps near a bar. I'm only staying for 1 night as I'm off down South.

Any advice appreciated!

Buri Bed and Breakfast

5 minute walk from Skytrain (BTS) station "Thong Lor"

Phone: 02-714-1508-9

Address:

58/14-15 Soi Thonglor, Klongton Nua, Watt...

Bangkok 10110

THAILAND

Note:

Location: Turn north on Soi 55 (Thong Lor), about 30 meters from Sukhumvit road. It's on the the right. It is upstairs above the bookshop. Turn right down down the little soi (flower shop on both sides) and it will be immediately on your left.

From a friend:

I stayed at good guesthouse in bkk. 500 baht a night (per room; includes 2 single beds and very simple breakfast). Buri Guesthouse is the name, about 70 meters from Tong Loa skytrain stop. Once on the Tong Lao skytrain platform, exit on the side with 7-11 store, exit #3; Walk to soi 55. Cross this major street. Take a left. Walk for 1 min. Look for a little flower shop on the right (it's on both sides of a drive going into a courtyard). Turn right into the courtyard, there are stairs to the left to the B&B. Another way-- Look also for a thai book store. Enter, go straight up one flight of stairs should be a coffee shop. Open the sliding plastic door. Up one more floor and you're there. Check it out it is a steal. Mostly locals know about it.

Khao San Rd in Banglamphu is the traditional budget-traveller centre (but it's a seedy area w/ bad reputation for foreigners; also quite far from skytrain or subway. Need to take a taxi)

Khao San Rd in Banglamphu is the traditional budget-traveller centre (but it's a seedy area w/ bad reputation for foreigners; also quite far from skytrain or subway. Need to take a taxi)

I'll have a look at your first recommendation but to be honest Khao San Rd. sounds ideal! I'd rather be where other budget-travellers are!

So I get the Sky Train to somewhere near? Then get a taxi?

Look at Agoda.com But if you are travelling out the next day get onto On Nut Road or King Khao road near the airport where there are a heap of bars and close to the airport less than 100 Baht (USD3). You would be nuts heading for Khao San Road if you are planning on a big night then a flight - may as well stay drinking and keep the meter running! drunk.gif

Khao San Road is the place you want to go. It's not seedy at all, Suhkumvit is seedy. Some annoying touts thats all. FULL of budget travelers from all over the world heading off to all parts of the country, lots of bars and restaurants, and about a hundred guest houses to choose from. Don't need to book a room if you don't want, there are hundreds available and you can get a look at the room first.

There is a mini bus that goes right there from the airport but I'm not sure where it is, or you could take the airport train to the last station then get a taxi the rest of the way for like 50 baht, or just get a taxi from the airport.

Khao San Road is the place you want to go. It's not seedy at all, Suhkumvit is seedy. Some annoying touts thats all. FULL of budget travelers from all over the world heading off to all parts of the country, lots of bars and restaurants, and about a hundred guest houses to choose from. Don't need to book a room if you don't want, there are hundreds available and you can get a look at the room first.

There is a mini bus that goes right there from the airport but I'm not sure where it is, or you could take the airport train to the last station then get a taxi the rest of the way for like 50 baht, or just get a taxi from the airport.

Cheers - sounds ideal. I only have a backpack - I'll look like a traveler anyway and I'm not fussy when it comes to a place to stay. I'll try and get that mini bus or Sky Line near.

You are better off at www.lonelyplanet.com. Try the Thorn Tree. The Thailand section is filled with backpackers...most staying on Khao San Road. I've spent at least a month on KSR...not my cup of tea...but then I am older...like most folks on this forum.

Lonelyplanet.com is a great source of info for backpackers. I use it all the time as I travel around the world. Tripadvisor.com is also pretty good.

I'll have a look at your first recommendation but to be honest Khao San Rd. sounds ideal! I'd rather be where other budget-travellers are!

So I get the Sky Train to somewhere near? Then get a taxi?

I begrudgingly concur. You'll find digs as cheap as 150-200 baht a night. I would take a SkyTrain to Phaya Thai station and then a taxi to Khao San.

I suggest you book hotel in advance for at least the first night. Bangkok is a large place and many touts ready to give you tips to stay so they can get their 30%. Check a good hotel booking place like right here, Agoda, Asia Rooms, etc.

I totally agree, plus booking online is nearly always a cheaper way to go.

I suggest you book hotel in advance for at least the first night. Bangkok is a large place and many touts ready to give you tips to stay so they can get their 30%. Check a good hotel booking place like right here, Agoda, Asia Rooms, etc.

I totally agree, plus booking online is nearly always a cheaper way to go.

Unless you stay on KSR...where hardly any place offers online booking. Just show up and find a room...there are hundreds to choose from. I've stayed there many, many times and have never made a reservation....and always been able to find a room...for cheap.

Buri Bed and Breakfast

5 minute walk from Skytrain (BTS) station "Thong Lor"

Phone: 02-714-1508-9

Address:

58/14-15 Soi Thonglor, Klongton Nua, Watt...

Bangkok 10110

THAILAND

Note:

Location: Turn north on Soi 55 (Thong Lor), about 30 meters from Sukhumvit road. It's on the the right. It is upstairs above the bookshop. Turn right down down the little soi (flower shop on both sides) and it will be immediately on your left.

From a friend:

I stayed at good guesthouse in bkk. 500 baht a night (per room; includes 2 single beds and very simple breakfast). Buri Guesthouse is the name, about 70 meters from Tong Loa skytrain stop. Once on the Tong Lao skytrain platform, exit on the side with 7-11 store, exit #3; Walk to soi 55. Cross this major street. Take a left. Walk for 1 min. Look for a little flower shop on the right (it's on both sides of a drive going into a courtyard). Turn right into the courtyard, there are stairs to the left to the B&B. Another way-- Look also for a thai book store. Enter, go straight up one flight of stairs should be a coffee shop. Open the sliding plastic door. Up one more floor and you're there. Check it out it is a steal. Mostly locals know about it.

this is a very nice little place but I think you can forget late night booking. I stayed there a few days and the owener, who has the top floor, is seldom seen at the office nor is anyone else. Staying there you come and go without seeing anyone much of the time. The alley it's in is a nice little place too, but I only booked by going into the book store on the first floor and asking about Buri. Better for him is Hi Sukhumvit which you can contact email or phone when there and there is someone on the desk or in the lobby all night, tho you may have to knock as Not might be snoozing in the puter room on the floor :) It's RIGHT across from the Buri/Thong lor and has a solid block of great food vendors and easy acess to the Thong Lor Skytrain station. One or two stops down on the Skytrain is a nice pub, forget the name but doubtful in one day stay you'll have time for it. Right after such a flight I reserve a week to get over jet lag :P Dorm rate at Hi Sukhumvit is 350 baht I believe. Wifi, and coffee,tea, toast and cereal in the morning. Kitchen for your use also. Clean and quiet. Unless you are some kid avoid kho san. It's stupid.