Thinking Of Moving To Chiang Rai

teddysbuttons

Went to ' the boys ' forum by mistake lol .. good start .. not .. but they were very helpful .. I'm 58 and thinking of moving to Chiang Rai .. will be applying for a ' retirement ' long term multiple entry visa .. so will have 3 months to see if it's gonna work. Have been looking into Rentals ( Lanna Real Estate ) and health Insurance ( Bupa ), anyone got any suggestions of things i haven't thought about and things i need to know, look forward to hearing from anyone smile.gif

Wow - what a non-plethora of replies!

there's this thing, has happened in Hawaii, San Diego,

lots of places...

"I'm here now, close the door!"

Few of us find ourselves eager to attract more of the same (as it were),

fearing we'd become like Chiang Mai (or worse).

This is a kind of find your own way place, although we're getting

some tourist oriented amusemsnts, as I see from the little

Aye's Place brochure/magazine -

noisy, expensive water sports, etc.

But it's still the kind of place where one easily gets to know neighbors,

if but one wants.

I don't live in Chiang Rai Joel. Never even been there. So,the only advice I can offer OP is to grin and bear it and put up with the Old Boy/cranky old men network replies in the CR forum. And post in the Visas forum for advice on a retirement visa if needed.

Oh and to post back here for moral support when the grumpy old men get her down :D

My suggestion would be to not bother renting an apartment/house before coming here. Get a nice deal on a guesthouse for a couple of weeks to a month, then once you're there you can look around and find the area that suits you best. Also you will get a better price if you are here talking to the people in person, and with an idea of how much things cost, then over the internet. Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

I live in Chiang Mai too. We're nice down here :) Maybe you should move here instead!

It's a big mistake to book anything in advance out here.

As others have said, get to CR, book into a guesthouse, look around.

Prices for those who aren't here or book anything in advance can often be doubled.

(for example someone in the other thread quoted 10-20kbht for a house rental .... that would be luxury 4 bed with swimming pool house)

You also might like to try ChiangMai first, much bigger expat community, many more western ladies.

More schools to learn Thai, more English speaking Thais, more English bookshops, etc.

I would be a little intimidated by starting off in as small a place as CR.

PS

A multiple entry VISA for the over 50s will give you 15 months, 90 days at a time, then a trip to Mae Sai for another 'entry' at the end of each 90 days ...... not 3 months, no need to show money. When that runs out, THEN you go for the retirement VISA.

PPS

Nice condo in CM 5,500bht a month + utils (1 month mimimum)

2 bed house outside CM (10-20km) 6,000bht a month + utils (6 month minimum although many insist on 1 year)

Edited by sarahsbloke

My suggestion would be to not bother renting an apartment/house before coming here. Get a nice deal on a guesthouse for a couple of weeks to a month, then once you're there you can look around and find the area that suits you best. Also you will get a better price if you are here talking to the people in person, and with an idea of how much things cost, then over the internet. Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

I live in Chiang Mai too. We're nice down here :) Maybe you should move here instead!

This is good advice anywhere. Rent a hotel room or guesthouse until you get the lay of the land. It's easy in off season or the border season to find a sutable place at a reasonable price. Chiang Rai is MUCH smaller than Chiang Mai and doesn't have anywhere near the same expat community. But, it all depends on your personal interests. Of course, it's also much closer to Maisi for your border runs. It's only an hour to the border.

This is good advice anywhere. Rent a hotel room or guesthouse until you get the lay of the land. It's easy in off season or the border season to find a sutable place at a reasonable price. Chiang Rai is MUCH smaller than Chiang Mai and doesn't have anywhere near the same expat community. But, it all depends on your personal interests. Of course, it's also much closer to Maisi for your border runs. It's only an hour to the border.

The OP says she's going to apply for a Retirement Visa, she won't need to do 'border runs', just report to the local imm office every 90 days.

The rest of the advice re getting a deal on a guesthouse (always ask for the monthly rate, ask first for the daily, then say 'and how much for a month? always half price) until she gets the lie of the land is a good one.