ซุ้มเกม

Xangsamhua

I have heard this word used to describe the little separate thatched ramadas that one sees upcountry at restaurants bordering a pond or a lake. They have thatched roofs that come quite low to the ground and thereby offer a fair amount of privacy to the people dining inside. Also, Lexitron has one of its meanings to be ศาลา. Therefore, I think game arcade would be pretty close.

I have heard this word used to describe the little separate thatched ramadas that one sees upcountry at restaurants bordering a pond or a lake. They have thatched roofs that come quite low to the ground and thereby offer a fair amount of privacy to the people dining inside. Also, Lexitron has one of its meanings to be ศาลา. Therefore, I think game arcade would be pretty close.

Thanks mikenyork. It seems about right. I like "penny arcade", but suspect hardly any of my readers would know about that.

Thanks also for alerting me to the origin of the word "ramada". I looked it up in Wikipedia. In Thai I guess it would be ศาลา?

Looking on Google, there appear to be quite a few hits for ซุ้มเกม and pictures of the covered stalls you get at fairs eg where you have to use some skill to hit a target or throw a hoop on something to win a prize like a cuddly toy

eg

a Thai girl captioned a photo of herself and a friend standing by such a stall at a carnival:

นอกจากเครื่องเล่นหวาดเสียวทั้งหลายแล้วก้อยังมีซุ้มเกมต่างๆ ประเภทเล่นแล้วได้ของรางวัลเป็นตุ๊กตา - Apart from all the thrilling fairground rides there also lots of stalls where you you could win a doll as a prize [my translation].

http://www.jeban.com/viewtopic.php?t=8589

A Thai girl describing her visit to the Royal Melbourne Show:

ถ้าจะบรรยายไปแล้วก็คงจะคล้ายๆกับงานวัดบ้านเรา ที่จะมีเครื่องเล่น ซุ้มเกม ซุ้มอาหาร ซุ้มขายของต่างๆ จะต่างกันหน่อยก็ตรงที่งานนี้ดูใหญ่และไฮโซกว่านิดหน่อย (แน่ล่ะก็เก็บค่าเข้าตั้ง $22 นี่นะ ฮือ ฮือ เศร้าจังไม่ได้เป็นนักเรียนแล้วอดได้ส่วนลด ต้องจ่ายราคาเต็ม) - If I was going to describe the fair, I would say it was similar to the temple fairs we have back home. There were rides, games stalls, food stalls and stalls selling various items. But it's a little bit different in that this fair was bigger and more high-so (for sure - the entrance fee was $22 Aus..sob...sob. Sadly I'm not a student any more and had to pay the full price). [my translation].

http://www.bloggang.com/mainblog.php?id=littlepiggie&month=24-09-2006&group=9&gblog=5

I think Katana's on the right track. The English term the OP is perhaps looking for is 'carnival games'--a stall or stalls featuring games of chance that offer prizes, usually found at fairs. Balloon darts, duck pond, etc.

Maybe that's the same thing OP meant by 'penny arcade', but if so then the term isn't exactly current. ;) My mental image of a penny arcade is more like coin operated games, though. I don't believe ซุ้มเกม in Thai refers to a modern video game arcade as found in virtually all Thai malls, but then I'm not sure what those are typically called.

A little off topic... what's the difference between ซุ้ม and ส่วนโค้ง?

Coincidentally, this week's stack of flash cards had ส่วนโค้ง and here with this post, I see another word for arch.

I've wondered about this too. I live near the arch in Jomthien Beach so it's a convenient landmark when I give directions. I asked my teacher and she said use "สะพาน". For those who haven't seen it, it is an arch that goes over the street and says "Jomthien Beach", but it is a sign only, people can't walk on it. If that is a "สะพาน", then when do you use the words ส่วนโค้ง or ซุ้ม ?

I believe that there is an English spelling difference: a ซุ้ม is an "arch", as in the arch of a doorway or in St. Louis, whereas ส่วนโค้ง is an "arc" or portion of a circle.

A little off topic... what's the difference between ซุ้ม and ส่วนโค้ง?

Coincidentally, this week's stack of flash cards had ส่วนโค้ง and here with this post, I see another word for arch.

Anyone? :unsure:

Cheers to David for putting it succinctly. I have a few more thoughts. I'm sure I won't get usage exactly right but here goes anyway.

ส่วนโค้ง in mathematical terms is an arc, but in general terms is a curve (โค้ง is a verb meaning 'to curve' or 'to be curved'). If you look on Google Images for ส่วนโค้ง you'll see the first results are a curvy woman, a curvy road, and curvy mathematical figures.

ซุ้ม refers to a kind of gateway or frame, either curved or perpendicular, and often free-standing. It might be a latticework covered with plants, or a backdrop used for photographs at weddings and other events (decorated with flowers, balloons, etc). ซุ้มประตู more specifically means a doorway or gateway arch, including for example the decorative temple gates found at entrances to temple compounds.

It's possible to specify a curved ซุ้ม by saying ซุ้มโค้ง, but as I understand it that's merely descriptive and not used generally.

I think that it is a smallish house with a regular, if steep, sided roof,specifically used for gaming. The entrance is not arched-not for reasons of structural strength certainly

Its purpose is for gaming . All types of games. Originally simple games ไพ่ ไฮโล -some were/ are gambling dens. From what I can establish there was an entrance fee .

Now with the advent of technology it is the Thai Game Arcade.

Cheers to David for putting it succinctly. I have a few more thoughts. I'm sure I won't get usage exactly right but here goes anyway.

ส่วนโค้ง in mathematical terms is an arc, but in general terms is a curve (โค้ง is a verb meaning 'to curve' or 'to be curved'). If you look on Google Images for ส่วนโค้ง you'll see the first results are a curvy woman, a curvy road, and curvy mathematical figures.

ซุ้ม refers to a kind of gateway or frame, either curved or perpendicular, and often free-standing. It might be a latticework covered with plants, or a backdrop used for photographs at weddings and other events (decorated with flowers, balloons, etc). ซุ้มประตู more specifically means a doorway or gateway arch, including for example the decorative temple gates found at entrances to temple compounds.

It's possible to specify a curved ซุ้ม by saying ซุ้มโค้ง, but as I understand it that's merely descriptive and not used generally.

Thank you David and Rikker!