CRES Bans Political Rallies In Bangkok, Provinces

webfact

Follow the point of what happened this last couple of weeks.

Abhisit basically decides that red shirt protest are ok at a limited level against the SOE.

Suthep states that we know "black shirted assassins" are plotting to shoot Abhisit, and we basically haven't done anything to arrest these known assassins.

Abhisit doesn't flinch.

Friday night, CRES removes the right for the reds to protest in Bangkok.

Basically, "Hey Eton boy, screw Democracy and free speech, we have a country to run here". 'Of course, should you get shot trying to sort out this mess, we will blame it on "black shirted assassins".

You're right, the CRES shouldn't have banned all political rallies. Totally unnecessary as we still have the SoE in place ;)

Abhisit basically decides that red shirt protest are ok at a limited level against the SOE.

Suthep states that we know "black shirted assassins" are plotting to shoot Abhisit, and we basically haven't done anything to arrest these known assassins.

Abhisit doesn't flinch.

Basically, "Hey Eton boy, screw Democracy and free speech, we have a country to run here". 'Of course, should you get shot trying to sort out this mess, we will blame it on "black shirted assassins".

You're right, the CRES shouldn't have banned all political rallies. Totally unnecessary as we still have the SoE in place ;)

Sorry I added a bit to my post. I was trying to mean that Abhisit has had his wings clipped in a very serious manner by what has been emanating in terms of "known threats" to his residence, and tonight the CRES stopping the rallies.

Abhisit tested the political waters and his "minders" put him firmly back in his place through a very public, polite threat that he ignored. So, protests are off.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Abhisit doesn't flinch.

Sorry I added a bit to my post. I was trying to mean that Abhisit has had his wings clipped in a very serious manner by what has been emanating in terms of "known threats" to his residence, and tonight the CRES stopping the rallies.

Abhisit tested the political waters and his "minders" put him firmly back in his place through a very public, polite threat that he ignored. So, protests are off.

I read things differently. The CRES ban may be aimed at the red-shirt rallies this weekend, but is NOT phrased as being against red/UDD only.

The rest is difference in opinion.

Abhisit doesn't flinch.

I read things differently. The CRES ban may be aimed at the red-shirt rallies this weekend, but is NOT phrased as being against red/UDD only.

The rest is difference in opinion.

The SOE is in, and Abhisit stated that peaceful protest is ok, which goes directly against the point of the SOE. This strikes straight to the influence of the army in the current situation. Some can call it politically naive; which it is increasingly apparent that Abhisit is not.

Abhisit got brave, and the CRES put him firmly back in his place with a very public and dire warning to mind his Ps and Qs. So far Suthep has spoken on behalf of the CRES. Abhisit not a word. Now, it is clearer than ever who is drawing the lines in the sand about reconciliation and how to solve this ongoing stalemate. The established power blocks will not move. Some will believe it is right, democratically it is tosh, but that is Thailand.

Abhisit will never be allowed to solve this red issue. That maybe from afar ok, but as PM presumably it is supposed to be part of his job. He is playing the smart underling whilst his seniors have to tolerate his insolence since of course, he is the democratically elected PM of Thailand.

I guess Abhisit has had a nice dinner at home not particularly concerned that ninjas in black with weapons experience from Cambodia are about to nuke his home, leave the country and, no one will be any the wiser. He has dared the CRES to show their hand, and he can walk away and blame any issues that follow this weekend 100% on their shoulders. A political masterpiece.

And people say that because he was Eton and Oxford he can't play Thai dirty politics. He has played them like a song.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I wonder how long this current government can get away with a ban on political gatherings. Isn't this supposed to be a democratic society?

An October coup - which will put paid - finally - to this insidious threat to the existing order - is looking more likely as each day passes.

You mean an October coup would finally get rid of the Reds? How?

The SOE is in, and Abhisit stated that peaceful protest is ok, which goes directly against the point of the SOE. This strikes straight to the influence of the army in the current situation. Some can call it politically naive; which it is increasingly apparent that Abhisit is not.

Abhisit got brave, and the CRES put him firmly back in his place with a very public and dire warning to mind his Ps and Qs. So far Suthep has spoken on behalf of the CRES. Abhisit not a word. Now, it is clearer than ever who is drawing the lines in the sand about reconciliation and how to solve this ongoing stalemate. The established power blocks will not move. Some will believe it is right, democratically it is tosh, but that is Thailand.

Abhisit will never be allowed to solve this red issue. That maybe from afar ok, but as PM presumably it is supposed to be part of his job. He is playing the smart underling whilst his seniors have to tolerate his insolence since of course, he is the democratically elected PM of Thailand.

I guess Abhisit has had a nice dinner at home not particularly concerned that ninjas in black with weapons experience from Cambodia are about to nuke his home, leave the country and, no one will be any the wiser. He has dared the CRES to show their hand, and he can walk away and blame any issues that follow this weekend 100% on their shoulders. A political masterpiece.

And people say that because he was Eton and Oxford he can't play Thai dirty politics. He has played them like a song.

In all this you seem to forget (or want to ignore / not believe) that the CRES reports to the government, therefor PM Abhisit.

PS in May the rumour was that black ninjas from Cambodia were hired by the government to shoot reds. Never any proof either.

Nice argument. But this government isn't democratically elected.

How often does this particular argument come up again I wonder ?

The current MP's were all elected. According to laws, ruled, regulations MP's select a government from amongst them. This current government is democratically elected in that sense, same like the current government in the UK and Australia.

Anything else ?

The current deputy PM was elected and then thrown out of office. He was, however, allowed to keep his cabinet position (as one does not need to be actually elected) The SOE then enabled him to take the seat as de-facto ruler of the country. The terms"elected" and "unelected" are moot in this case.

'de facto ruler' ? The SoE enables the government to (try to) better control the situation. The CRES is mandated for that and reports to the government (PM + cabinet). The terms 'elected' and 'unelected' are moot as they have no relevance here. K. Suthep is appointed.

The announcement also prohibits any outdoor use of loudspeakers.

So if I take my trusty old video camera and get footage and record sound and hand the tapes to the authorities (sorry - officials) then who will prosecute them or pay the damage to these poor old ears? mad.gif