How Can I Learn To Sail ?

freebird32

Try dock walking at the marinas..some of the yahties even go sailing sometimes lol.

....talk to a few skippers and state your need ...sure someone would take you out and show you the ropes for a case of beer or atleast something a good deal less than 10000 baht! Nothing better most yahties like than showing how much they know...just like TV members lol

Also if you don't already...read read and read "learn to sail" books...you can practice knots, navigation etc at home for free!

If you have never sailed before I suggest you go to a book store and buy a book about sailboats that explains the parts of the boat. Stanchons,stays bow stern,etc.First learn the parts of the boat. Then read amd learn about the points of sail.Boats require good communication so you need to know what you are talking about. If you donot know basic vocabulary you will be lost.Do you know the difference between a tack and a jibe? If you want to only crew,then after you know parts of the boat go to a club on race day and look for a boat that will let you on. Racing the boats is the quickest way to learn but get basic knowledge down first so you can be a good crew member and be invited back. Good crew will always be able to get on a raceboat.Most boats are always looking for decent crew. If you want to be a skipper it will be a while. If you find a cheap charter boat let me know I may come down to where you are and charter one and give you some pointers.

Ao Yon sailing club does dinghy sailing at enthusiast rates.. I personally prefer wet sailing and the lack of elitism in the small stuff, would love to learn cat sailing and have a go at trapeze stuff, flying hulls etc.

Never been but I heard Ao Chalong yacht club had a 'leave no man ashore policy' and I would bet a man that turned up with an esky of cold beer for the days sail would not be an unwelcome arrival.

Depending on how much time you have on your hands a possibility is to visit the nearest yacht marina and their club house, ask around the yachty people and mount a few flyers

stating that a novice would like to help crew a yacht for board and lodgings.

I had a guy from the UK in my bar for about 6 weeks, he had sailed to india (he has been sailing around for 6 years) and moored up for the indian monsoon season, he was desperate for people to

help on his next stage so you may get lucky.