Proposed Water Purification System.

Pattaya_Fox

More discussions on solving Pattaya`s Water Crisis.

In a bid to solve the current water crisis here in Pattaya, the Mayor and his administration are in talks with Technoaqua Systems International Company from America regarding a proposed water purification system for Pattaya, which will be able to utilize sea water and sewage which can then be cleaned up to make it drinkable. This was the second meeting between the company and the Mayor and the company informed the Mayor that a budget of 300 million baht would be needed for the sewage purification system, if the system is to incorporate sea water the amount would be much higher. Various options on how to manage the system were given to the Mayor and Khun Niran informed the group that the system will definitely be implemented, however in the interests of fairness, bids from rival companies must be heard first.

Pattaya City News

Tuesday 19th July 2005.

I wouldn't consider myself to be an expert but at least I have been working in the field of watermanagement for the last 8 years and to me it seems to be a rather crazy idea to build a desalination-treatment in a country with vast amounts of rainfall. Especially knowing that there is still a lot of perfectly usable rainwater to be saved by just rationalizing the use of water. In countries around the Persian Gulf this might be the way to go but in Thailand???

I'll be watching this one with interest... :D

Desalination units are extremely expensive to install and maintain.

I wonder whose brother/cousin/sister/uncle/<insert relative name here>/etc... will be on the bidders evaluation committee... :o

I wouldn't consider myself to be an expert but at least I have been working in the field of watermanagement for the last 8 years and to me it seems to be a rather crazy idea to build a desalination-treatment in a country with vast amounts of rainfall. Especially knowing that there is still a lot of perfectly usable rainwater to be saved by just rationalizing the use of water. In countries around the Persian Gulf this might be the way to go but in Thailand???

I couldn't agree more, Tokker. I think Jai Dee's "wondering" may be right on the button! Clearly it would be cheaper to expand the capability of retaining natural rainfall than it would be to build and maintain a desalinization plant. This would be like building an ice making plant in the North Pole! Just dig a deeper hole, ###### it!

GR

Yep,

could understand desalination (reverse osmosis) plants on islands, as they often dont have the space for reservoirs/lakes.

I believe they have one on Koh Lan in front of Pattaya.

Cost is high, in the region of 60 Baht/cubic meter since the eqiupment burns a lot of electricity.

I think Jai Dee's "wondering" may be right on the button! Clearly it would be cheaper to expand the capability of retaining natural rainfall than it would be to build and maintain a desalinization plant. This would be like building an ice making plant in the North Pole! Just dig a deeper hole, ###### it!

If only you knew the extent of it.... :o

Just ignore for a moment..., if you can..., the constant excavation work and road modifications that go on in Pattaya... the preferential delivery system of water to selective Pattaya residents... the "in-your-face" deals that mark Pattaya politicians and government officials as beneficiaries... etc :D

Forget for a moment all that "graft and corruption" stuff... :D

Let's talk about plain stupidity...

Take a look! :D

Go see for yourself the "deeper hole" that they are digging in the western corner of Lake Mabrachan.... :D

What are they doing with the excavated material?

Dumping it on the sides of the lake... where the natural runoff would normally occur... effectively building a deeper repository for localised precipitation but blocking the natural surface runoff... where is the sense in that?

:D

I think Jai Dee's "wondering" may be right on the button! Clearly it would be cheaper to expand the capability of retaining natural rainfall than it would be to build and maintain a desalinization plant. This would be like building an ice making plant in the North Pole! Just dig a deeper hole, ###### it!

If only you knew the extent of it.... :o

Just ignore for a moment..., if you can..., the constant excavation work and road modifications that go on in Pattaya... the preferential delivery system of water to selective Pattaya residents... the "in-your-face" deals that mark Pattaya politicians and government officials as beneficiaries... etc :D

Forget for a moment all that "graft and corruption" stuff... :D

Let's talk about plain stupidity...

Take a look! :D

Go see for yourself the "deeper hole" that they are digging in the western corner of Lake Mabrachan.... :D

What are they doing with the excavated material?

Dumping it on the sides of the lake... where the natural runoff would normally occur... effectively building a deeper repository for localised precipitation but blocking the natural surface runoff... where is the sense in that?

:D

But, other than that, it's going well, right? :D

GR

Jai Dee,

the major source of water for Mabprachan reservoir are all the small creeks feeding it. Not the rain over the lake, nor the run-off right at the the sides of the lake (it helps though, but not a lot!)

My house is built right behind such a creek, which was dried out a couple of weeks ago and now already has a small steady flow. If I hear thunder and see dark clouds in the distance where the creek comes from, it starts to swell pretty quick, without me even seeing a drop fall down.

During serious rainstorms the creeks swell to wild water rivers! I know because that scenic creek last rainy season swept away a part of the wall around my house :o

Thus the run-off of a pretty huge area gets collected and deposited in the lake.

If you take a close look where they are doing the excavation, you'll see two of these creeks about a hundred meter apart, and they are taking care not to block them.

The only thing we need now is enough rain this season, so the extra capacity they are creating can be filled to the brim...

Tokker, you are complete wrong!

it must be expensive! If you get back 2-10 % of the total amount as coffee money, but you don't spend your own money, it must be expensive, if it is cheap your own share of it will not be enough.

You must consider, the respondsible person sure has a wife, some children.

A second wife, some children

He need a home, his second wife need a home, he need a car, his wife need one, his second wife need one, his children.........

So desalination is the best solution (buying 1 liter glas bottles from france and empty them into the water tube would be a good alternative....)

I couldn't agree more, Tokker. I think Jai Dee's "wondering" may be right on the button! Clearly it would be cheaper to expand the capability of retaining natural rainfall than it would be to build and maintain a desalinization plant. This would be like building an ice making plant in the North Pole! Just dig a deeper hole, ###### it!

GR

The problems are because the rainfall over the last 2 years has been less than previous :o

A back up solution is needed.

Desalination units are extremely expensive to install and maintain.

and require a lot of power to run - its not the same as a reverse osmosis water treatment.

and after the debacle with the multi billion baht (klong dam?) plant which does not work ....

if anyone would like to comment on this proposed water purification idea for radiobangkok, please call 02-207-2677. would love some sound bites for the news. any comments would help...long or short. thanks!

and thanks to those who have already called in with comments...very helpful!

Edited by Felix Lynn