Thai Army Chief Confirms Arms Disappearance From Lopburi Arsenal

webfact

Army chief confirms arms disappearance from Lopburi arsenal

BANGKOK: -- Thai Army chief Gen Anupong Paochinda on Monday conceded that some 30 rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs) disappeared from a military armoury in Lopburi province over a week ago, while the defence minister said the stolen grenades may be destined for use in possible violence.

Gen Anupong said a forensic investigation to find the suspects implicated in the missing RPG case will take 6-8 days, adding that the army is tracking the whereabouts of the stolen arms and is trying to bring them back.

He said that army regulations clearly impose punishment measures for those held responsible for the arms theft and that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has already been informed about the case.

Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan, meanwhile, said the stolen RPGs may be used to encourage violence, but urged the public not to worry as the army will closely monitor the situation.

Following criticism over the army's lax security in light of repeated thefts of munitions, Gen Prawit gave assurance's that the army's security measures have been 'very tight' and such a disappearance did not frequently occur.

An investigation is underway and it is the responsibility of every level of commander, especially those in charge of arsenals, he said.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban who oversees national security said he has ordered a speed-up of the investigation as the RPGs had disappeared for quite some time.

Asked if the incident was connected to the current political demonstrations, Mr Suthep said he did not know if there is any involvement but urged the public not make negative conclusions about the matter until the investigation is completed. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-09-20

MISSING WEAPONS

30 RPGs missing from arsenal depot : Army chief

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Army Commander in Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda admitted Monday 30 rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs) have been missing from an arsenal depot in Lop Buri province. He said the investigation would take about a week.

"Thirty RPGs did go missing from the military arsenal in Lop Buri province and I have reported this to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva," Gen Anupong said.

Abhisit on Friday first admitted the cabinet had been aware of the missing RPG issue for a while, though it is not clear when the arms went missing and who did it.

The army investigators are collecting scientifc evidence to find out how the weapons went missing and who should be responsible for the missing.

He declined to reveal when asked whether the weapons could be destined to deep south provinces which have been engaged with daily violence.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-20

Who else but the Red-shirts stole it for the upcoming assassination job of PM Mark. Well done army boy, your message is geeting to all Thai people loud and clear already. Don't forget to bring back SOE to cover the whole country as there are RPG on the loose; for the safety of the Thai people.

• Like 1

Thai Army is a force of bozos, to be sure. Thank goodness the 24hr world news media exposure and condemnation will prevent them from staging a repeat of 2006. :jap: (As follows my theory that the Army was unprepared for the global backlash they received following the coup, in major part due to the press coverage, that wasn't so pervasive in 1991).

• Like 1

Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan, meanwhile, said the stolen RPGs may be used to encourage violence, but urged the public not to worry as the army will closely monitor the situation.

Following criticism over the army's lax security in light of repeated thefts of munitions, Gen Prawit gave assurance's that the army's security measures have been 'very tight' and such a disappearance did not frequently occur.

Why do Thai ministers tend to suffer from foot-in-mouth disease?

'not to worry, Army will closely monitor'. Just as closely as when the RPGs disappeared ?

'assurance ... did not frequently happen'. Well that justifies all and everything, now doesn't it?

But remember 'not to worry' :)

(edit: found dictionary)

Edited by rubl

The army investigators are collecting scientifc evidence to find out how the weapons went missing

If this investigation is as thorough as the one looking into the deaths of soldiers and protesters earlier this year, the report will doubtless read something like:

'An external physical force exerted by persons unknown caused the weapons to change location from a known to an unknown place. This is how the weapons went missing.'

Case closed.

You must have training as a Thai lawyer! :lol:

Perfect...

Thai army says grenades missing

BANGKOK (AFP) -- About 30 rocket-propelled grenades have gone missing from a military base in Thailand, officials said Monday, raising fears of fresh violence.

Army chief Anupong Paojinda said a forensic investigation was underway to try to find those responsible for the disappearance of the weapons at the base in central Lopburi province this month.

A series of grenade blasts have hit Bangkok in recent weeks, as the capital remains under emergency rule following mass "Red Shirt" protests in April and May that left 91 people dead in clashes between troops and demonstrators.

Officials said it was unclear whether the apparent theft of the grenades was linked to the unrest.

The Reds -- who held peaceful gatherings Sunday to mark the anniversary of the 2006 coup that ousted their hero Thaksin Shinawatra as premier -- deny any involvement in the grenade blasts.

Thai authorities are also struggling to quell a six-year insurgency in the country's Muslim-majority southern provinces.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-09-20

They may are may not relate to current events. These type disappearances have gone on for tens of years - as far back as when Thaksin was in grade school. The only common factor in it all is Thai Army and the Baht.

So which Officer was discharged over this?

No doubt arms go missing from just about any army in the world. Where there is a buyer there will always be corrupt military people willing to facilitate a deal. I just wonder why they sat on this story because it does not seem clear exactly when they went missing & why bother to release the story at all when it makes the army security look bad or are there hidden factors involved? It could be part of a carefully prepared plan which one could speculate about all day.

• Like 1

"...the defence minister said the stolen grenades may be destined for use in possible violence."

Oh my gosh, really? I thought is was for a gift for the Pope?! Dummy.

Nah - you hang them from trees as Christmas decorations. What idiots to make such stupid statements ... may be destined for use in possible violence

wacko.gif

I hear every word that all the talking heads in Thailand use in public statements.

They need to reel them in and hire ONE spinmaster.

A pro PR bulllshittter that can lie better and keep a straight face while attempting to cover up Thai incompetence.

I hear every word that all the talking heads in Thailand use in public statements.

They need to reel them in and hire ONE spinmaster.

A pro PR bulllshittter that can lie better and keep a straight face while attempting to cover up Thai incompetence.

They had one, but I believe he is currently persona non grata, at least in government circles. :whistling:

Just remember the people hired to guard the grenades can be hired to steal the grenades.

TIT

i do not know this type rocketgrenates i hope they are not the "heat -seeking types " because that are nasty weapons to aim transport vehicles or hellicopters......B)

"...... while the defence minister said the stolen grenades may be destined for use in possible violence."

You think?

Or maybe it is an activist that wants to put them in a safe place. :lol: Like they did the blue diamonds.

They are vary safe and have stayed safe for many years now. :jap:

Good here isn't it? The whole country is a laugh a line. Now I know where Monty Python got their material from. 

Now I'm waiting to read about how the RTN cavalry riding to sort out those pesky pirates have run aground in the Malacca Strait.