Car Dealer Fraud

happyrobert

Newbie moved to Thailand last year withType "O" non-immigrant, stayed long term at a bungalow on Koh Chang. Went to buy a used car in Trat, small dealer took my 126k baht, copy of my visa and said come back next week for paperwork, bring Thai friend because farang can not own car. Asked lawyer on Koh Chang, he said, yep, farang cannot. This is endemic in that area, 20/20 hindsight obviously a scam. They will also tell farangs on Koh Chang they can not rent a house month by month, "must to pay one year". Went back next week with Thai friend, got bad vibes so didn't finish the deal. Parked the car for 8 months and later moved to the more farang friendly Chiang Mai. Brought the car to Chiang Mai last month. People here said yes, no problem for farang so I went to the registration dept to change the blue book into my name and was told the numbers don't match, otherwise no problem. I was not surprised as the car had been in an accident and nicely repaired with a new fender, hence the good price and different number. Called the dealer, they say numbers were good when I bought, I must've changed them. Uh huh. i.e., F-off farang. Any suggestions that are printable?

Edited by happyrobert

It is also common here to pay only at LTD office when the book is in your name. That's what i hear also Thais are doing. After they check the numbers are matching...

Edited by MJo