Local Supermarket - Cockroach In Sealed Bakery.

eek

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mods are supposed to be getting back with a policy on what you can and cannot say about a business I personally think if a business treats its customers like shit or the foods crap then you should be able to say so anything else is BS in my opinion.

The whole idea of forums and communitys is to help each other out and avoid bad business's and reccomend good business's that take care of there customers.

Unfortunately Thai VIsa seems to be more focused on chasing the dollar/baht and i am sure others agree when I say it takes away from the whole purpose of a community forum when your not allowed to say anything bad about sponsors and now looks like you cant say anything about any other business that treats there customers like shit and theres now way to warn potential victims to steer clear of a dodgy business that has shown time after time they rip farangs off.

Its a slippery slope were headin

Thai visa tries to follow Thai law, which on the point of libel is very different from the law in Western countries. Under Thai law the thruth in itself is no defence against libel. It is more a question of if someone loses "face" by another persons remarks. To be not libelous, a remark must not only be thruthfull, but also there must be a public interest in making the remarks, which outweights the interests of the person or business the remarks where made about.

Not only the person making the remark can be prossecuted under criminal law, but also the person publishing it/spreading it further.

We have no way of checking if a persons statement is true or not.

Mods are supposed to be getting back with a policy on what you can and cannot say about a business I personally think if a business treats its customers like shit or the foods crap then you should be able to say so anything else is BS in my opinion.

The whole idea of forums and communitys is to help each other out and avoid bad business's and reccomend good business's that take care of there customers.

Unfortunately Thai VIsa seems to be more focused on chasing the dollar/baht and i am sure others agree when I say it takes away from the whole purpose of a community forum when your not allowed to say anything bad about sponsors and now looks like you cant say anything about any other business that treats there customers like shit and theres now way to warn potential victims to steer clear of a dodgy business that has shown time after time they rip farangs off.

Thai visa tries to follow Thai law, which on the point of libel is very different from the law in Western countries. Under Thai law the thruth in itself is no defence against libel. It is more a question of if someone loses "face" by another persons remarks. To be not libelous, a remark must not only be thruthfull, but also there must be a public interest in making the remarks, which outweights the interests of the person or business the remarks where made about.

Not only the person making the remark can be prossecuted under criminal law, but also the person publishing it/spreading it further.

I understand its a tricky issue for TV but there has to be a way around it to stay away form libel while still allowing the community to warn other against a certain business

How about something like the reputation buttons you got going that way nothing is said but the reputation will say it all and will at least give someone a heads up to avoid a business that consistently treats it customers like shit

Could be something like

Hi guys what do you think about this business

_ +

Its would say it all without saying nothing at all.

it does seem to be okay to say 'a supermarket beginning with the letter t'. i've asked about three times is that okay, and since nobody will answer and my post still stands it must be okay. right? what we dont know is why and when the policy changed. plenty of old posts nameing and shameing.

Edited by november222

I understand its a tricky issue for TV but there has to be a way around it to stay away form libel while still allowing the community to warn other against a certain business

How about something like the reputation buttons you got going that way nothing is said but the reputation will say it all and will at least give someone a heads up to avoid a business that consistently treats it customers like shit

Could be something like

Hi guys what do you think about this business

_ +

Its would say it all without saying nothing at all.

Maybe I can sue the people who give me red -s

Mario2008 -

Thanks for those clarifications. Truth NOT in itself being a defense but there existing also a requirement that the written statement being also so much in the "public good" that it outweighs harm to the person ostensibly libeled adds greater complexity to determining justice, .

Moreover, I had no notion of this! ------>

"Not only the person making the remark can be prosecuted under criminal law, but also the person publishing it/spreading it further." I had not take in that libel was regarded as a criminal matter. When I consider the inner workings of law enforcement and the judicial system of which I am ignorant but may have a sense, I can see Thai Visa's concern.

Clearly a problem is that a money-making outfit is the sponsor and vulnerable. Those of us who want to risk the laws and consequences in order to tell the truth as we see it must attach ourselves to anonymous forums about which few know, and create new ones whenever the fur flies. Or move to China, where communication is .... oops.

Anyway, to put Thai Visa in a position where it might have to defend by enriching lawyers is sad to contemplate.:( Far better to feed our friend, the much maligned cockroach.

I understand what TV are saying, but why is it then that there are a lot of threads that openly criticize certain businesses but are not closed down and others that are not allowed, because of these 'strict libel laws'?

What is TV's criteria for allowing some threads to run and others to get warnings or closed down?

Whilst I in no way advocate threads that might lead to serious repercussions for either the poster or TV, there must surely be some way that a forum of this size, that imparts a lot of valuable information to the community, can post threads warning people to watch out or simply vent their dissatisfaction with something...... otherwise it will become a forum of meaningless drivel. (yeah just like this.... before someone else says it wink.gif)

Perhaps the time is right for TV to re-evaluate how this can be done, after all you have a lot of members? smile.gif

Edited by uptheos

Amazing that this litle cockie has now generated 73 posts and is closing in on some high profile volume threads like Piggy's Fish and Chips. He of course didn't seek this attention and died a horible death, encased in a plastic container with some dodgy food. To put things into perspective .This is Asia, and the wet season, when Cockroaches reach,their maximimum numbers through a very intensive breeding cycle .Right now, at 5pm, hordes of them are preparing for their nightly foray into homes ,restaurants, factories, bakeries anywhere there might be some morsels of edible material. They will come up through the drains, under doors even take to the air. Learn to live with them and just hope they don't finish up on your plate.

Amazing that this litle cockie has now generated 73 posts and is closing in on some high profile volume threads like Piggy's Fish and Chips. He of course didn't seek this attention and died a horible death, encased in a plastic container with some dodgy food. To put things into perspective .This is Asia, and the wet season, when Cockroaches reach,their maximimum numbers through a very intensive breeding cycle .Right now, at 5pm, hordes of them are preparing for their nightly foray into homes ,restaurants, factories, bakeries anywhere there might be some morsels of edible material. They will come up through the drains, under doors even take to the air. Learn to live with them and just hope they don't finish up on your plate.

cheesy.gif

Yeah, what happened to all the really important stuff,' like the Fish and Chip and Burger et al threads?