Thai Police Arrest German Tourist After Failed Robbery Attempt

webfact

German Man Arrested After Failed Robbery Attempt

A German tourist suspected of attempted robbery of an ATM machine in Nong Bua Lamphu province has been arrested.

The tourist said he needed the money to fly back home.

Region 4 Police arrested 28-year-old German national Alberto Petermann as a suspect for attempted robbery of a Krung Thai Bank ATM machine in Nong Bua Lamphu province on Tuesday.

Officers also seized a portable plasma cutter and a pick-up truck.

Petermann tried to cut open the ATM machine, but he failed as the cutter ran out of gas.

His attempt was clearly recorded by a nearby security camera.

The suspect admitted to having tried to rob the ATM machine, saying that he needed money to return to Germany.

He added that he planned to give some of the money to his wife to open a grocery shop in the province.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-09-23

footer_n.gif

He should have asked me for help to buy him a return ticket back home rather than go rob an ATM machine laugh.gif but hey he also needed money for his wife to open a grocery shop ohmy.gif now i don't think he needed money to fly back home rather he needs money to invest for his dear wife blink.gif...if he had succeeded he wouldn't have flied back homerolleyes.gif...he just wanted to please his wife/girlfriendwink.gif..of which the girl would have still claim everything at lastbiggrin.gifjap.gifcoffee1.gif

Sell the plasma cutter and/or pick-up truck?

Smart thing to do is crash the truck (but survive), claim you got robbed while lying at the scene (totally believable in Thailand), go to your embassy, and beg for help?

Either that, or I heard the wheel wells of the Lufthansa aircrafts are quite roomy and comfy.

How many beers does it take to spawn a business plan like this one.?

LOL - probably as many as it takes to make up the excuse of "needing the money to fly back home". How about selling the truck and the plasma cutter? Should be good for a first class ticket... :cheesy:

How many beers does it take to spawn a business plan like this one.?

LOL

After my second i think i would have come up with 30 better plans to get hold 25k baht for a ticket...

so he couldn't sell the pick up or that expensive tool for opening an atm machine. I am sure if his visa ran out and he was really desperate. maybe if he went to the german embassy might have helped. Robbing an atm machine for a ticket home lol. he might have to extend his hooliday in Bangwan. lol.

would have thought that someone who thinks they are clever enough to rob a machine woud have a more cllever back up story :ph34r:

Is it me or does there seem to be a marked increase in ATM/bank related robberies by farangs in Thailand in recent months?

I can think of at least 5 or 6 recent examples.

<deleted> is going on? How can these people fail to realise they're in a country with a much less desirable penal system than in their countries of origin? And that a simple trip to their embassy in this time of desperation/crisis might alleviate a lot of their problems.

I really just don't get it at all. I appreciate that people will does some strange and desperate things for money, most of the examples by farangs I can think of border on, or are firmly in the realms of insanity.

Amusing for the law-abiding populace none-the-less.

Edited by ManInSurat

... How about selling the truck and the plasma cutter? Should be good for a first class ticket... :cheesy:

A bit more from the Thai press.

Apparently the pick-up truck wasn't his to sell and belonged to his gf's father and the welding equipment he bought with his last remaining money, 5300 Baht, not enough for a return ticket.

He said he planned to use some of the stolen money to repair his gf's house. She also drove him to the ATM and collected him after the event, so seems in some way to be implicated.

• 4 weeks later...

Believe it or not I was sitting having a whiskey with my wife at a small pub in nong bua lamphu when that guy approached us quite nervous and a bit on edge asking Moo, I want moo.

We asked if he wanted to eat pork, but we found out that Moo was his girlfriends son who was nearly the same age as him. The did laps of the street 3-4 times and then sat in the car for ages , strange.

It wasn't a shock for us when we heard about his crazy attempt to rob the ATM.

irrate

Another case of iodine deficiency which seems quite common in Thailand.

Some foreigners are just not eating properly these days. You are what you eat.