Uk - Fiancee Visa

Hi,

I have known my Thai G/f from 5 years , and she has visited the UK on 2 occasions (thanks to the brilliant advice on this forum). we now intend to get married in the UK and I have a few questions which I hope you can help me with.

Q1 - As my G/F is currently in the UK until 6/1/2011 , can we apply for a fiancee visa when were back in bangkok in January 2011 or does the 6 month rule apply.

Q2 - Which visa will we Require , I have looked at the Visa section on VFS web site and I'm a bit confused , Is it really 48300 Bht ??!!!!

Q3 - When we get married in the UK , how long before the Finacee visa expires should we apply for FLR.

Q4 - When we get married in the UK would it be possible for my G/F son and her sister to attend the wedding - What visa would be required and are these difficult to obtain

Q5 - Will we have to pay for any translations fees

Sorry for all the questions

Once again Many thanks for your help in the past

Cheers

Cheers for that , makes it a bit more bearable, although still expensive. , I can see why people get married in thailan now[

quote name=brian272727' timestamp='1285237316' post='3902289]

In answer to Q2, you must be looking at the Indian site, its in rupees.

The fee for the Thai site appears to be 33488 baht, which to me is bloody excessive. I have NO idea why its so much.

http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/visafees.aspx

Visa Application Fees

If she is on a visit visa she can apply immediately upon her return as she is applying as the fiancé.

You must marry within a 6 month window then apply for FLR using the following forms.

Further leave to remain.pdf

Regards Paul

Edited by ThaiVisaExpress

If she is on a visit visa she can apply immediately upon her return as she is applying as the fiancé.

You must marry within a 6 month window then apply for FLR using the following forms.

Sorry to thread hijack but...

Does she need to go back to Thailand after her fiance visa has expired or can you apply for further leave to remain whilst in the UK and if granted stay additional 2 years?

Cheers

To answer your questions:

Q1 - Your girlfriend can apply for the visa at any time after her return to Thailand.

Q2 - Your girlfriend needs a fiancee visa. The current cost is 33480 Baht but that is likely to increase to about 36000 from next month. The fiancee visa is considered to be a settlement visa, and that is why the cost is the same as a visa for a wife or partner, etc.

Q3 - Your girlfriend should apply for FLR as soon as you are married. This is the guidance from the UKBA -

How do I qualify to join my fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner in the UK?

You must show that:

• you plan to marry or register a civil partnership within a reasonable time (usually six months)
  • you plan to live together permanently after you are married or have registered a civil partnership
  • you have met each other before
  • there is somewhere for you and your dependants to live until you get married or register a civil partnership, and you will be able to live without help from public funds,
  • you and your dependants can be supported without working or claiming any help from public funds,
  • your fiancé(e) is not under 21, and
  • you are not under 21 at the date of arrival in the UK.

You will be allowed to stay in the UK for six months but without permission to work.

When you are married or have registered a civil partnership, you can apply to the UK Border Agency for a two-year extension to your visa. When you do this you will be required to pay a non-refundable fee and provide certain documents as specified on the UK Border Agency website: Form FLR (M) and guidance notes. If your application is granted you will be allowed to work.

Before the end of your probationary two years Further Leave to Remain (FLR) you will need to apply to the UK Border Agency for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK. When you do this you will be required to pay a further non-refundable fee and provide more documents as specified on the UK Border Agency website: Form SET (M) and guidance notes.

Before we can give you permission to stay in the UK permanently, you will need to pass the 'Life in the UK' test.

Q4 - Anyone can attend your wedding but, if they are visa nationals ( eg Thai nationals ), then they will have to qualify for visas to go to UK. The visa applications will be considerd by an ECO in the same way that your girlfriend's visa was considered, ie including maintenance and accommodation in the UK, incentive to return to Thailand, etc.

Q5 - I'm not sure what you mean. If you want or need documents translated then you will probably have to pay for translations.

Does she need to go back to Thailand after her fiance visa has expired or can you apply for further leave to remain whilst in the UK and if granted stay additional 2 years?

Cheers

I think I answered that question in my post above. She can apply in the UK without leaving or returning to Thailand.

Cheers

I think I answered that question in my post above. She can apply in the UK without leaving or returning to Thailand.

Great, thanks for that info. I presume that the waiting time is in-line with the settlement visa?

Many thanks for your responses , very very helpfull

I will let you know how I get on.

Good luck man.

On a sidenote I am now considering just biting the bullet and going for a Fiancee visa instead of a Visitor visa

The only reason I can see not to is the fact it will give me more time to save money for our future application.

The cost etc can be balanced against the £880 its gonna cost just to fly here, which would need to be paid twice.

Owl1971, a couple of points, if I may.

Firstly, it is of course your choice and decision, but unless there is a specific reason for marrying in the UK I would recommend marrying in Thailand and your wife, as she will then be, applying for settlement as your spouse rather than following the fiance route.

The reason is cost. Current fees in Sterling are:-

Spouse visa: £644

ILR after 24 months in the UK: £840 if applying by post, £1095 if applying in person.

Fiance visa: £644

FLR after marriage: £475 if applying by post, £730 if applying in person.

ILR 24 months after FLR: £840 if applying by post, £1095 if applying in person.

Since Labour introduced the fees for FLR and ILR they have regularly been increased at rates way above inflation. Despite both the Conservatives' and the Liberals' vociferous opposition to these fees when first introduced, there is no reason to think that the present government will not do likewise.

So marrying in Thailand means that you will save the FLR fee and be able to apply for ILR earlier and so possibly pay a lower fee than if you applied later.

However, I appreciate that you may have reasons for marrying in the UK which override such concerns.

Secondly, your fiance's son. Unless he is over 18 then the ECO is going to wonder why he is just going to visit the UK for his mother's wedding and does not want to live in the UK with her. This should be explained in your sponsor's letter for the visit visas.

Brian272727,

A fiance visa is a settlement visa, so the waiting time is the same as for a spouse visa or any other form of settlement visa.

Quad

I'm bumping this as I'd like to know the answer too, so if anyone out there has experienced this...many thanks in advance.

All I can add to the scenario is that "ILE subject to KOL" is issued as a 27-month visa, but once the KOL test is passed (or the alternative ESOL course completed), the visa holder can immediately apply for ILR, no need to complete the 24-month probation imposed on LLE visa holders. My guess is the ILR fee will have to be paid though.