Best Beer In Thailand

TheWorldandI

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beer Lao best choice. Dark then light.

You must be joking, Lao beer is pretty awful.

Your kidding... I think Laos beers are far more superior to thai beer. But thats just my opinion.

Yes, I agree, Beer Lao is very good and better than many Thai beers, but, the OP cannot buy it in the local convenience store, which is what he was asking.

Hmmm, I bought a case of beer Lao back from a border run 3 - 4 years ago, it lasted 1 day.....ohmy.gif

Even the Mother in Law who never normally drinks was drinking it !!!! It's good stuff for sure.

tried the Beer Lao last trip and found it wanting, not as tastey as in laos. tried the usual suspects and found Leo worked for me but in November will try the Chang Draft. If you ever get to Burma try the Myanamar it is a excellent beer. Has Carslsberg come back on the market yet that was always my favorite years ago..

Microbrews all have that taste of being brewed at home and tent to give me a stomach ach.

try the Johnnie Walker Green when you get a chance a tasty scotch.

i believe the question was what is best beer available at 7-11:

for me the Thai beers are a non-starter, but if what is sold at 7 is the criteria Tiger or Heineken are the only options.

San Miguel pale is a bit of ok as well, but not as readily available.

for me the Thai beers are a non-starter, but if what is sold at 7 is the criteria Tiger or Heineken are the only options.

So you have never tried Chang Draught ?

Don't confuse it with Chang original, it's totally different, give it a try. smile.gif

Got to go with sillyman there. I really don't like Chang, but Chang draught is totally different.

My favourite Thai beer without a doubt. Slips down very easily....:rolleyes:

Too easily, I had 9 large cans and 1 small one this session, mind you, it's a 13 hour session, so not so bad really.

Thing is , I don't feel drunk, just tired, then again, I did get up 25 hours ago, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Goodnight. jap.gif

Anyone ever thought about starting a microbrewery in BKK?

Yeah, Tawang Daeng thought of it at about 15 years ago, and went ahead and did it.

Also the Londoner 13 years ago.

The Bitter in the Londoner seems to vary quite a bit. Sometimes its pretty good, other times its not so good. Its rather like a reasonable home-brew.

All the Thai beers suck...I just bring my own when I visit now...few weeks ago brought about a case and a half well packed in my luggage of Sierra Nevada. Mixture of Pale Ale and some seasonal stuff. I am sure on of these days the customs guys at BKK will stop me....

Yep, all those on your list are pants, although I'd do Leo before Singha or Chang.

Tiger's the choice for me here. Can drink it all night and it doesn't get boring. That Lao stuff's alright, albeit a bit naff, but doubtful you'll find it in 7.

tiger_beer_medium.jpg?1219818704

Yep, all those on your list are pants, although I'd do Leo before Singha or Chang.

Tiger's the choice for me here. Can drink it all night and it doesn't get boring. That Lao stuff's alright, albeit a bit naff, but doubtful you'll find it in 7.

tiger_beer_medium.jpg?1219818704

When I can't get Beer Lao its Tiger.:D

Yeah, Tawang Daeng thought of it at about 15 years ago, and went ahead and did it.

The Bitter in the Londoner seems to vary quite a bit. Sometimes its pretty good, other times its not so good. Its rather like a reasonable home-brew.

The Londoners two beers are very decent; expecially during happy hours. With the equipment they have you would think they would be a bit more creative and make seasonal brews, IPA's, stouts etc. Perhaps they have trained thai staff to brew their regulars and don't want to confuse them :lol:

Chang Draught for me too.

As for micro beweries, have you been to County Road at Future Park Rangsit? They brew several kinds of German beers, both light and dark. You can buy it by the jug or beertube, and you get to see a good stage show all night.

Dont think they do take out though :angry:

I've pretty much tried them all, I was an avid Leo fanboy, but now..........................There's a new king of Thai beers for me.

500ml tins of Chang Draught is much better, when Leo is very cold its ok but I used to throw so much beer away, as it gets warmer Leo makes me feel sick when I drink it.

Chang Draught does not have that same effect, it stays drinkable somehow.

I have only seen the 500ml Cans in Family Mart, 39 Baht per can.

Well worth a try IMO. smile.gif

Never seen the cans on samui, but there are 333ml bottles and 665 (or so) bottles of Chang "Draught" weird supply line one day this, one day that, somedays none.... as it was with Kloster, who wants to drink "good beer" may hav to resort to imports...there are plenty of choices... Warsteiner, black Koestritzer, Paulaner, Franziskaner, Wheat beers.. Coopers,name it.. beers do have to be cold, here ICECOLD otherwiese theywill taste like <deleted>, think about what beer really is...fermented malt bread dough

with lot's of water.

Edited by Samuian

the "foreign" beers you mention are all brewed locally under license and are therefore technically "thai beers"....try any of them against the orginals and you will taste the strong chemicals and get a headache...they seem to use an overabundance of chemicals probably to get the fermentation time shorter due to commercial pressures and for preservative purposes.....will need a brewmaster to comment on this though....what is funny though is that Heineken is priced so high even though it is local.....

Edited by Utterlyuseful

the "foreign" beers you mention are all brewed locally under license and are therefore technically "thai beers"....try any of them against the orginals and you will taste the strong chemicals and get a headache...they seem to use an overabundance of chemicals probably to get the fermentation time shorter due to commercial pressures and for preservative purposes.....will need a brewmaster to comment on this though....what is funny though is that Heineken is priced so high even though it is local.....

Weird really as you go to spain and ask for a San Miguel light and they look at you as if your mad, they have never heard of the stuff. If anyone knows how to get their hands on it in england then let me know, ive had no success at all.

The Londoners two beers are very decent; expecially during happy hours. With the equipment they have you would think they would be a bit more creative and make seasonal brews, IPA's, stouts etc. Perhaps they have trained thai staff to brew their regulars and don't want to confuse them :lol:

Whatever happened to the German microbrewery in Don Muang? Did they relocate, or go out of business when Swampy opened?

They did a couple of very acceptable (albeit overpriced) beers there I seem to remember.

Edited by nisakiman

If I just want to sit in the house, then Chang Original as you get more bang for your buck. If I want to do something like go out later, then I drink Tiger or Chang Draught as it doesnt get you drunk too quick. All of these beers are better if you put them in the freezer for a while so they are extra cold when you drink them.

Sam mig light is a decent drop. If cant get it. Leo or Tiger. Though Tiger or San mig are not Thai beers.

Correct, Jock, only Singers have the nouse to produce a decent drop in this neck of the woods (Malay's Royal Stout also good), although op was after beers from 7.