Moving House

mrjohn

Does anybody know anything about removal companies here?

Do they charge by the kilometre, for example and if so, how much?

The last time we moved house we did the job with our own pickup, but it was less than 100 km and took three trips.

Now we have a lot more stuff and are looking to move about 1000 km north. So I need some sort of lightweight truck and a couple of guys to help with the lifting.

Any advice gleaned from personal experience would be very welcome.

They are everywhere. I had to have my neighbor call aroundfor me, they are only in Thai. They chargeby distance, the size of the truck, and the amount of labor involved. Don’texpect them to come pack up your things, and don’t expect insurance or reimbursementfor any damages.

Last year I had 2 guys in a large enclosed truck come to myhouse in Bangkok and move a freakishly large and unbearably heavy woodenwardrobe from the second floor to my brother’s house in Kanchanaburi. Cost me2000 baht plus 200 baht tip, plus drinking water while they were sweating away.Total distance one way was 100 kilometers.

Two months ago I paid 9000 bht to a local removal company to move all our gear. They packed, moved, and unpacked everything as well as putting it where my gf wanted. They even transported my gf's bike, the cat and my gf in the process.

No damages, no breakages, and great friendly service. Moving distance was only about 10 km, but I reckon it was worth every satang.

And where was I ? Round at a mate's place having a few G&Ts. Perfect ! :)

Ah, it's just moving ITEMS from the house to another location. Here I had visons of the whole house being put on top of a pickup truck. Having seen some strange sights in Thailand it wouldn't surprise me.

Ha, I thought the same thing. That is what brought me here in the first place.