Food Poisoning

crusty

:angry: Beware of special discount food items at Tesco Lotus, as they are not beyond clearing their stocks of slow selling meats and poultry way past their expiry date. My neighbour held a BBQ Friday, where he served some chicken legs he'd bought there in packaged form, sitting on the chiller display at the food counter. Everyone present fell sick and the next day when checking the one unused package, a ripe rotting stench emanated from the pack. Better to use Macro, or even your local market as their turnover ensures the goods are fresh. Methinks the FDA should be doing spot checks on these pirates !

The same happens in Tesco KPG, they sell sometimes rotten food overexpired for half price. Many Thai and I must say farang too buy those discounted items.

Somebody should write a complaining letter to the managers of Tesco Thailand...

:bah:

forget the packs,i've absent mindedly picked up chicken legs with out giving them a whiff,taken them home only to find them smelly,had to chuck out,same at BIG C one time.If you've ever checked out their beef section(steaks)sometimes they look grey instead of red,looks like they've been cooking themselves.........yuck! No health and safety here,just dog eat dog.

forget the packs,i've absent mindedly picked up chicken legs with out giving them a whiff,taken them home only to find them smelly,had to chuck out,same at BIG C one time.If you've ever checked out their beef section(steaks)sometimes they look grey instead of red,looks like they've been cooking themselves.........yuck! No health and safety here,just dog eat dog.

Also beware frozen packs of scallops, which were solid frozen when we left the store(Central/Tops`~)

but stinking by the time we got home.

eat dog.

Yep, the dog is usually fresh.

Sorry, but this has raised one of my pet annoyances. Has anyone here ever had to be hospitalised or been unable to eat or drink anything for a week or so without vomiting, after eating some slightly iffy food.

If not, you have just had a bit of an upset stomach.

Thanks for the warning crusty, but it's not just the discounted items that we have to watch for. :ph34r:

I have always been wary of chilled/frozen products at the large stores ever since the early days when Tesco first opened. Watched the chilled lorry roll up and unload. Then saw the products sitting out in the sun waiting until someone came to count them and then organise the moving into the store. It took quite a while and all in the tropical heat.

Now I am sure that things have improved, but the process is still the same.

At least we know that the bread in Tesco is fresh. In the pre-Tesco days how many of us bought a loaf of bread only to find that when we opened it at home - it was going moldy?

Remember the old adage "Assume nothing. Assume makes an ASS out of U and ME."

Also beware frozen packs of scallops, which were solid frozen when we left the store(Central/Tops`~)

but stinking by the time we got home.

It's not just the scallops. I was in Makro yesterday and went to buy some frozen stuff - the packets on the top were all de-frosting in the cabinet!

Wasn't there a ripe, rotting stench emanating from the pack on the day of the barbie?

:whistling: Coming from a civiilized country like Australia, we are not used to smelling everything we cook, so the legs were just tossed on the barbie. It was the next day we took a sniff !

• Like 1

AHA!

In which case be really really really careful when buying meat/fish at Coco Supermarket in the Buddy Boulevard (have I got the names right?) in Lamai.

I was passing and on impulse went to check for Kettle crisps and English sausages.

And on impulse checked the sell-by-date on the frozen bangers. Clever clever clever ..... the barcode was on top of most of the dates. Peeling a few away I found that the oldest date was March 2010! A quick glance at the colours of the different frozen packs should have given me a clue ... they ranged from pink to brown to grey!

R

Wasn't there a ripe, rotting stench emanating from the pack on the day of the barbie?

:whistling: Coming from a civiilized country like Australia, we are not used to smelling everything we cook, so the legs were just tossed on the barbie. It was the next day we took a sniff !

I'm from Australia an I can smell an off chicken withour getting too close. I also look at use by dates.

Thanks for the warning crusty, but it's not just the discounted items that we have to watch for. :ph34r:

I have always been wary of chilled/frozen products at the large stores ever since the early days when Tesco first opened. Watched the chilled lorry roll up and unload. Then saw the products sitting out in the sun waiting until someone came to count them and then organise the moving into the store. It took quite a while and all in the tropical heat.

At least we know that the bread in Tesco is fresh. In the pre-Tesco days how many of us bought a loaf of bread only to find that when we opened it at home - it was going moldy?

Isn't assumption the mother of all <deleted> ups?

Isn't assumption the mother of all <deleted> ups?

Yep - been there, done that and I have the T-shirt. (But managed to dig my way out) :rolleyes:

I'm from Australia an I can smell an off chicken withour getting too close. I also look at use by dates.

:whistling: Yeah but I don't have whiskers and a tail

nothing wrong my my beef. you got beef ?

yes i mentioned this to my thai wife. she told me she already knew long time ago.

A big thanks to the miss for delayed informtion. goin to go up stairs and shoot her. lol. not litturally. i mean with a 9mm.)

no she is cool. well she will be when she is frozen meet. better eat her beore she exp.

only joking. love ya reaally. i mean i i was to het food poisoning then nurses needd paying. so in a way u r raising money for hospitals. thanks darling

Look out at the 7-11's as well. My wife brought me a small tub of ice cream home a few days ago and the first thing I saw was an August sell by date. It still tasted good and no ill effects! However, the point is that going in yesterday I now see the same ice cream with sell by dates of 2012! So just how long had that ice cream been in the freezer before I got it and what preservative is in it to keep it fresh that long. Something not quite right here>

It's always hard to tell where source of food poisoning comes from.

But there seems to be several people I know, including my self who have had on going problems with upset stomach for weeks now... seems to come & go... with me at least... It's hard to pin point the source (s) sometimes...

Yesterday I went to one of the Maenam Pharmacies & she tried to sell me something for constipation.....:lol: Some days I wish that was the problem! ;) But we finally figured out it was for the other problem! So now seems to be solved ... at least for now!