Ever Been Caught?

travelmann

A bunch of farangs got busted for working without a work permit in Chiang Mai about 12 years ago. Those that paid a big "fine" were allowed to continue doing so and those that refused were locked in the immigration jail for months and then shipped home with a banned stamp in their passport.

A bunch of farangs got busted for working without a work permit in Chiang Mai about 12 years ago. Those that paid a big "fine" were allowed to continue doing so and those that refused were locked in the immigration jail for months and then shipped home with a banned stamp in their passport.

I see loads of bar owners behind there bars working happily away when its obvious they don't have a permit to do, the reason they can do it is there is no enforcement so they are not scared of the BIB at the moment but like many issues one day the BIB will have a crackdown for a day and many will be heading home or will be incarcerated with a big fine pending release.

I see loads of bar owners behind there bars working happily away when its obvious they don't have a permit to do, the reason they can do it is there is no enforcement so they are not scared of the BIB at the moment but like many issues one day the BIB will have a crackdown for a day and many will be heading home or will be incarcerated with a big fine pending release.

You are right.

It`s not a case of if, but when. They are working on borrowed time. Just keep looking over that shoulder.

I've noticed a lot more foreigners working "normal" jobs lately. The other day i saw some bloke working the BBQ at a german sausage stand. Or some guy with a booth selling baby wipes at a baby expo. Surely you can't get a work permit for this kind of thing?

Ditto.

I recently saw a farang quite openly making sand pictures in botttles in a booth in Carrefour, and another one supervising the kebab stall in the food court, plus a couple in the Thepprasit weekend market, one selling sunglasses (which he as been doing for a long time) and another selling resin soap dishes.

Edited by JohnLeech

I've noticed a lot more foreigners working "normal" jobs lately. The other day i saw some bloke working the BBQ at a german sausage stand. Or some guy with a booth selling baby wipes at a baby expo. Surely you can't get a work permit for this kind of thing?

Ditto.

I recently saw a farang quite openly making sand pictures in botttles in a booth in Carrefour, and another one supervising the kebab stall in the food court, plus a couple in the Thepprasit weekend market, one selling sunglasses (which he as been doing for a long time) and another selling resin soap dishes.

I hope the kebab guy is legal, I quite enjoy them !

Just curious FC, how is it obvious that these aforementioned bar owners do not have work permits? I know several bar owners and they are all in possession of valid work permits.