Departure Tax Bangkok

No one can confirm if the Thai government will or will not increase the airport departure tax. I don't know where you got the "B700" number. When the new airport opens, I would expect that the tax would increase, but I can't confirm it. Tokyo used to have a similar tax, but then negotiated with the carriers to have it part of the ticket cost. Thailand should do the same.

Relatedly, what is the logic of having to pay this seperately? Wouldn't it be more practical for passengers and Thailand alike if it was just added to the price of each ticket like everything else is? I mean where does this end, maybe they make everyone go through 3 more payment stations on the way to their plane to pay for every little thing like plane landing fees, etc.

Relatedly, what is the logic of having to pay this seperately? Wouldn't it be more practical for passengers and Thailand alike if it was just added to the price of each ticket like everything else is? I mean where does this end, maybe they make everyone go through 3 more payment stations on the way to their plane to pay for every little thing like plane landing fees, etc.

err, your logic in this matter depends on your point of view really.

the way I see it - is it THAT inconvenient to pay for the 500 baht after you check-in for your flight? It is about the easiest tax I have ever had to pay - check in bag, get boarding pass, and walk towards immigration. Ah! there is the machine right next to the immigration entrance (or a lass in a booth). Handover THB500, get small slip, on your way again.

Adding it to the ticket price means it has to be collected somehow from airlines or travel agents across the world. And that means (I would imagine) beaurecracy, administration, and (again guessing) the final figure receive by the Thai Govt is far less than collected from the pax.

For me - no dramas to pay it at the airport. It is a 1-stop payment, it is convenient - why do some folks make this out to be such a drama?!!?

When I went to Kenya some years back there were 5 stops on your way out to pay various charges and check you had paid :o In other parts of Africa they leave your luggage on the runway until you go and tip the baggage handlers :D

the way I see it - is it THAT inconvenient to pay for the 500 baht after you check-in for your flight? It is about the easiest tax I have ever had to pay - check in bag, get boarding pass, and walk towards immigration. Ah! there is the machine right next to the immigration entrance (or a lass in a booth). Handover THB500, get small slip, on your way again.

Adding it to the ticket price means it has to be collected somehow from airlines or travel agents across the world. And that means (I would imagine) beaurecracy, administration, and (again guessing) the final figure receive by the Thai Govt is far less than collected from the pax.

For me - no dramas to pay it at the airport. It is a 1-stop payment, it is convenient - why do some folks make this out to be such a drama?!!?

Perfect, I couldn't have said it any better myself !!!!!

If I recall correctly the departure tax is split 50-50 between Airports of Thailand PLC and the Ministry of Transport.

The rise to 700 baht is merely the first rise in what I know will be one of a couple more before NBIA is opened (provided that there is the political will to do so). One of the reasons for the rise is that NBIA wasn’t properly costed when it Dear Leader announced that he wanted it built. He was in a rush to build it as he was a bit jealous of KL’s new airport and the dominance of Changi in being a regional airline hub.

Work done by AOT’s financial advisors before the privatisation of the old Airports of Thailand into AOT Plc showed that the 500 baht airport tax was not sufficient to cover the various service related aspects involved with running the new airport. It was recommended that the service charge be steadily increased over time to reflect the new costs.

The new (eventual) departure tax will probably be higher than it needs be. The reason for that is that transiting passengers aren’t required to pay a service fee, even though they use the facilities- hence, departing passengers are cross subsidising the ones who transit through BKK. This isn’t the norm these days as most airports do charge you the service fee (though this is usually included on the ticket).

The other reason why the departure tax will be higher than need be is that the pricing practices of other airport services (e.g. duty free shop rental, landing fees, parking fees for planes and cars, and ground service charges don’t reflect the true economic cost of providing them). As a result, the departure tax again cross subsidises these services.

Agree this way it is visable 500 baht - eg. what is the airport tax out of Sydney ?? HCMinh $12 American pay as you leave.

The other reason why the departure tax will be higher than need be is that the pricing practices of other airport services (e.g. duty free shop rental, landing fees, parking fees for planes and cars, and ground service charges don’t reflect the true economic cost of providing them). As a result, the departure tax again cross subsidises these services.

Are you sure about that???

To my knowledge landing, parking, lighting, offloading and other ground services are a lucrative business, you claim this is not so?

Most of the costs you mention are charged back to the airlines with different rates and rules at each airport. We tried to conceive a database with all the rules at all airports worldwide but gave up.

But departure tax will be higher than need???

Remember when the so called "Departure Tax"was brought in a couple of years ago (in UK )

The idea being that a local domestic flight would be rated at something like £ 5-10 r/t and Intercon /overseas would go for i think £20......wot happened?

Now the standard amount added to a Straightforward TG flight London-Bangers is about £65 quid while more and more are coming in at over £100... :o

Try finding out exactly what this is composed of......Dept.Tax- Fuel Surcharge Tax-Airline Failour Tax-Security Check in Tax-Runway Airport Lighting Tax,Sniffer Dog Tax......new uniform for the pilots tax...... :D

You must have all done it...Called up your local friendly agent who offers you what seems to be not a bad deal on a direct flight for say... £399 and then comes the sort of matter of fact after comment......o you do of course ..gotta add tax onto that.....usually ends up at 500 plus and you think..... why did I bother :D

I believe that the British government is trying to stablise this whole carry on and leglislate for companies and airlines to state the GROSS price and stick to it.....but is thare any chance.....I doubt it.

Are you sure about that???

To my knowledge landing, parking, lighting, offloading and other ground services are a lucrative business, you claim this is not so?

Most of the costs you mention are charged back to the airlines with different rates and rules at each airport. We tried to conceive a database with all the rules at all airports worldwide but gave up.

But departure tax will be higher than need???

You are right in that they are lucrative and that they can be exploited (and some are). Problem is that given that AOT is a state owned public company which also owns the major regional airports too, and it doesn't seem to run each one as an individual business hence there is a bit of cross subsidiation going on.

Also the problem that there is only a very basic economic regulatory oversight on monopoly airport operations, therefore there is less incentive to look at each indiviual business service and construct their pricing based on normal business considerations.