Phuket Flight Services Picking Up

george

Phuket flight services picking up

PHUKET: -- In moves that appear to signal a revival of tourist confidence in Phuket, several airlines have begun boosting their regional services to Phuket or have announced plans to do so soon.

Orient Thai resumed its daily Phuket-Hong Kong-Phuket service on July 15, and has announced that it will operate chartered flights between Phuket and the South Korean cities of Inchon and Busan every Thursday and Sunday, from October 2 to December 5.

Dragonair, which only recently canceled its direct Phuket-Hong Kong service and closed its office in Phuket, has inked a deal with six Hong Kong travel agencies to fly charters from Hong Kong. The first is due tomorrow (July 23), with the others being on July 26 and 30, and on August 2, 6 and 9.

Thai Airways International has annouced that it will operate an extra two flights a week between Phuket and Inchon from August 10, while China’s Xiamen Airlines will launch a charter servi ce to Phuket from August 18.

Suwalai Pinpradab, Director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) office in Phuket, said, “It is a good sign for Phuket’s tourism. Dragonair will launch its chartered service first. If that is successful, it will probably resume regular flights in the near future.”

She described occupancy rates in Phuket hotels for the remainder of July and for August as “satisfactory”. However, she added that the TAT needed to push for more Thai tourists to come to Phuket in September and October.

K. Suwalai also noted that bookings from Europe for November and December are currently down by 40%-50% compared with the same period last year.

However, she added, “We are nearly 100% booked for December 26 to 30 by people who will take part in events commemorating the tsunami in Phuket.”

--Phuket Gazette 2005-07-22

That is excellent news.

Im always sad to hear that businesses in Phuket were suffering after Dec 26th, but now it seems that tourists are having faith in Phuket and the many wonders it has to offer.

Wonderful for the Thais and farangs living there.

Are Phuket Air/Airways still in business? I flew with them in March to Gatwick from Bangkok (and return), and read a few weeks later that their long haul flights to Gatwick, and I think, Holland had been suspended because of safety infringements and unpaid landing fees etc.

Are they still in business in Thailand? Operating domestic routes. Haven't seen anything in the media - or ads, for that matter.

Being the low season this news is really outstanding. There are several airlines currently looking to expand more flights and new flights to the island resort. :D

The deals are great on rooms, bugalows and the locals are ready for business.Great cash discounts. :D

Take a flight down and enjoy yourself for a week of so. :D

Understand that 1-2-Go has just negotiated two MD 80 aircraft for the routes. :o

You will see me in Phukey beffore 15 Aug that's for sure. :D

Are Phuket Air/Airways still in business? I flew with them in March to Gatwick from Bangkok (and return), and read a few weeks later that their long haul flights to Gatwick, and I think, Holland had been suspended because of safety infringements and unpaid landing fees etc.

Are they still in business in Thailand? Operating domestic routes. Haven't seen anything in the media - or ads, for that matter.

Words of wisdom. There aged fleet of aircraft are without a doubt dangerous. Phuket Air hasn' t paid their staff in 3 months and the aircraft and maintenance programs are questionable to say the least. I inspected the 747s and expected them to be scrapped. the 737-200 (white ) are formerly from Indonesia and had a lawn on the wings before "return to service". The YS 11 are a discontinued Japanese aircraft that has trouble with spare parts. I cannot imagine the people responsible for the aircraft purchases. Luck that didn't have an accident before the aviation authorities pulled their routes. :D

They need to be ought out by an established operator who can bring in an attractive fleet and keep the services going with the good name " Phuket Air". :D

Guess I could do it with a little help from some friends. :o

Update:

Airlines are cranking up services to Phuket

Regional airlines are returning to Phuket following the post-tsunami lull.

PHUKET: -- Orient Thai resumed its daily Hong Kong service on July 15 and will operate charter flights from the South Korean cities of Incheon and Busan every Thursday and Sunday from October 2 to December 5.

From Wednesday to October 29, Orient Thai has been given permission to increase its Incheon flights to four a week from the current two.

Dragonair, which only recently cancelled its direct Hong

Kong service and closed its Phuket office, is flying charters for six Hong Kong travel agencies starting yesterday, with the

others due on Tuesday and Saturday, followed by August 2, 6 and 9.

Thai Airways International will add two flights a week from Incheon on August 10, while China's Xiamen Airlines will launch a charter service on August 18.

Phuket Airlines decided on Monday to suspend services but plans to return in September.

South Korea's two flag-carriers, Korean Air and Asiana Airlines, are expected to resume carrying passengers to the resort island in mid-December.

Suwalai Pinpradab, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) office in Phuket, said it was a good sign for Phuket's tourism.

"Dragonair will launch its charter service first. If that is

successful, it will probably resume regular flights in the near future."

Occupancy rates for this and next month are "satisfactory", but the TAT needs to push for more domestic travellers to visit in September and October, she said.

Reservations from Europe for November and December are down by 40-50 per cent compared to last year, except for the end of the year.

"We are nearly fully booked for December 26-30 by people participating in events commemorating the tsunami in Phuket," Suwalai said.

--The Nation 2005-07-24

Agents and airlines are telling me Samui is looking good. Tourist have decided it is a better location and the airlines will start bringing in better equipment.

Phuket will need a great PR campaign and the TAT, hotels and airlines will need to make it attractive with the news of more natural disturbances.

I inspected the 747s and expected them to be scrapped.

...............keep the services going with the good name " Phuket Air". :D

Guess I could do it with a little help from some friends. :o

Hmmm and how did you inspect those ancient pieces of ....<deleted>??

GOOD Name??? Seems to me their name and reputation was destroyed in the mind and eyes of any reasonably intelligent person a LONG time ago.

:D

For the pilots, they were Thai one way and 2 american guys on the way back. All in all, I'd fly them again even if I didn't receive the discount coupons  :D

Hmm my friend tells me that Orient Thai has no Thai national pilots on any of their fleets... Maybe Filipino.

Brave soul you are to fly them..... :o

PS: I've also seen DC-10 parked at Don Muang. It was painted with purple with Thai Sky Airlines in scripty font written on them. Now finally Phuket Air has some competition... in aircraft age, that is

Ahem..... from one of the 'aviation experts' - may I tell you they are not DC-10's. They are in fact Lockheed L1011's from the recently defunct Thai Sky. You are correct though in the comment as to their age...OLD