Surin/Kap Choeng/Cambodian Market Fire

gotlost

Sad, very sad. I like this market, BUT like so many in Thailand , they are real fire hazards. Inevitably , some must go up. And they do!! With gusto. When they blow.Fire regulations are virtually non-existent here, and certainly never enforced,if they do exist,haha. The most interesting one - is if Patpong blows, what will be the resultant carnage?

Was planning on going to that market this weekend. But from the looks of those pictures it does not look like it will be worth it. Any idea how long before they will be up and running again?

They will probably be up and ruining allot sooner than most people would thank. Just and out side guess I'll bet you might even have a few shops selling by this weekend.

They will probably be up and ruining allot sooner than most people would thank. Just and out side guess I'll bet you might even have a few shops selling by this weekend.

I think,meanwhile, they will just move over to the other side of the street where usually all the cars a parking.

I have been there often and you can get a lot of cheap with a good quality clothes but also technical things like a dvd player high priced.And do not forget all the crappy fakes.But they also selling very lovely frogs, a black kind that is living in the soil.

I think,meanwhile, they will just move over to the other side of the street where usually all the cars a parking.

I have been there often and you can get a lot of cheap with a good quality clothes but also technical things like a dvd player high priced.And do not forget all the crappy fakes.But they also selling very lovely frogs, a black kind that is living in the soil.

Is that lovely to look at or lovely to eat? :rolleyes:

Was planning on going to that market this weekend. But from the looks of those pictures it does not look like it will be worth it. Any idea how long before they will be up and running again?

One of our chaps went to do a 90 Day Report yesterday and when I told him that this article said that 400 stalls out of 500 were no more, he said that was a vast overstatement, the number was nothing like that and the market in general was open for business as usual.

When you work out that you had 50 stalls selling T-Shirts, 50 stalls selling plastic toys, 50 stalls selling bicycles etc you should still have at least 20 of each left.

I do feel genuinely sorry for the families that are affected as it is very unlikely that they had any form of insurance but they probably started from scratch before, they are just going to have to do it again.

It could be the result of 'bad karma' for profiteering on the aid items [intended for Cambodia] that they sold openly.

I had heard that story of the source of 2nd hand clothing from a vendor in Chiang Mai.

Makes me wonder how and who really profits from the sales of the donated items while our neighbor to the south still suffers the poverty of a 3rd world nation........no doubt some corrupt government official??

This 'crime' has been going on for a decade at least, as that's when I heard the story originally.

• 3 weeks later...

It could be the result of 'bad karma' for profiteering on the aid items [intended for Cambodia] that they sold openly.

I had heard that story of the source of 2nd hand clothing from a vendor in Chiang Mai.

Makes me wonder how and who really profits from the sales of the donated items while our neighbor to the south still suffers the poverty of a 3rd world nation........no doubt some corrupt government official??

This 'crime' has been going on for a decade at least, as that's when I heard the story originally.

It only miss a half.

post-93441-034714800 1287495753_thumb.jp