Avast

evanson

I downloaded Avast free edition. I then started to get 'countdowns' you have only one day before expire etc ... Then I get a popup to register for the free edition (?!) alongside the 'upgrade' edition. Still red cross 'unprotected etc). So thought sod it, will uninstall and get competitor back, although not keen, bloatware, and get another pop up from Avast to say 'installing'?! Still have little icon with little red cross?

I have zone alarm too, run Spybot every day, particularly when visiting some site/s :whistling: And find a gazillion 'problems to be fixed'!

Wassup with Avast? :realangry: (cue the 'it must be you mine's running fine crowd)

Edited by evanson

I use the AVG Free Edition

Only nag screen is de pop-under at the bottom of the window. But you can click the button called "Hide Notification" to get rid of it.

But AVG is crap. Don't use it if you actually expect any protection.

If you have a decent amount of RAM, use Microsoft Security Essentials. If not, AVAST 5.

AVG Removal Tool.

Only nag screen is de pop-under at the bottom of the window. But you can click the button called "Hide Notification" to get rid of it.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I beg to differ. AVG works just fine for me without being smitten with the constant nag screens other AV products seem to employ these days.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I beg to differ. AVG works just fine for me without being smitten with the constant nag screens other AV products seem to employ these days.

As they say...up to you. But mine is not only an opinion. It is backed up by extensive testing. Yours is just an opinion.

there's nothing wrong with AVG. they just came out with AVG 2011 with a host of improvements too.

any AV program you have is bound to miss some things. it's the most downloaded AV software from cnet. not that that makes it foolproof, but it certainly can't be considered 'crap'.

there's nothing wrong with AVG. they just came out with AVG 2011 with a host of improvements too.

any AV program you have is bound to miss some things. it's the most downloaded AV software from cnet. not that that makes it foolproof, but it certainly can't be considered 'crap'.

Unless you actually have some professional experience in using the product, maybe you should resist the putting of your neck on the line.

Witness this exchange. We are still waiting for the AVG representative to get back to us.

For me, both Avira AntiVir and Microsoft Security Essentials reign supreme. Add in Malwarebytes and you've got all the protection you need.

Note: MSE works best under Vista/Win7. If using XP, stick to Avira.

I agree that MSE works well, it's free...... but only good if you have genuine MS windows...

I've used it & it's predecessor for years (when we had to pay for it.... can't think what it was called before before they made it free, a year or two back,)

I've used it in XP Vista & now W7, getting something for free out MS is good! Never had problems...:)

For me, both Avira AntiVir and Microsoft Security Essentials reign supreme. Add in Malwarebytes and you've got all the protection you need.

Note: MSE works best under Vista/Win7. If using XP, stick to Avira.

I agree that MSE works well, it's free...... but only good if you have genuine MS windows...

I've used it & it's predecessor for years (when we had to pay for it.... can't think what it was called before before they made it free, a year or two back,)

I've used it in XP Vista & now W7, getting something for free out MS is good! Never had problems...:)

PS Thanks too for the tip on Malawarebytes... just downloaded & ran a scan.... "No Infections" ! :D

Sorry had to make this a double post, time to edit previous message ran out!

Unless you actually have some professional experience in using the product, maybe you should resist the putting of your neck on the line.

Witness this exchange. We are still waiting for the AVG representative to get back to us.

don't make me laugh out loud. re-read what i wrote again and take it as gospel.

I read what you wrote.. seems that you are taking the same line as the AVG representative on the other thread. Deflecting to the fact that it is a top download on CNET. But that doesn't mean that it is good. It means that a lot of people have know that it is a FREE solution. I used AVG 6 when I first began my use of PCs. Haven't used it since it completely missed an intrusion that AVAST was successful in blocking.

I've lost count of the amount of machine I have had to clear of Trojans because AVG was so ineffective in blocking them.

So don't try to deflect the serious issue of an ineffective product by trying to tell us it the most downloaded. Now that is laughable.

Shame he disappeared as soon as technical questions were put to him.

I read what you wrote.. seems that you are taking the same line as the AVG representative on the other thread. Deflecting to the fact that it is a top download on CNET. But that doesn't mean that it is good. It means that a lot of people have know that it is a FREE solution. I used AVG 6 when I first began my use of PCs. Haven't used it since it completely missed an intrusion that AVAST was successful in blocking.

I've lost count of the amount of machine I have had to clear of Trojans because AVG was so ineffective in blocking them.

So don't try to deflect the serious issue of an ineffective product by trying to tell us it the most downloaded. Now that is laughable.

Shame he disappeared as soon as technical questions were put to him.

haven't gone anywhere... didn't see any 'technical questions' either. are you drunk?

and why on earth would you continue to use AVG if it were so ineffective... talk about laughable..

by the way, here's a review of MSE by pcmag (hey, look jiu, it's a 'pro'! laugh.gif)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2353699,00.asp

detects only 98% of trojans...and only 90% of adware and spyware samples...

MSE doesn't use behavior based detection either... ugh...

and to top it off...

" ....left behind significant amounts of non-executable malware traces. That's a better result than I measured - I found that Security Essentials left behind executable files for many of the samples. It also successfully removed all of their active rootkit samples but left several of mine running even after alleged cleanup."...

jiu, you really should think before you go recommending software such as that and sticking your neck out there like that bud.

Relax guys, the best is not always the best every year. There are independent testing labs such as Virus Bulletin that you can look at for evaluating what to use. Virus Bulletin

Some results of popular AV programs testing.

Avast

AVG

Avira

Bitdefender

Kapersky

I have Avast 5.0 on all our facility computers of 100+ computers. I also have ClamAV & Spamassassin on our firewall intercepting all e-mail coming in and out. I used to use AVG but my experience has shown Avast does a better job at our place overall. Kapersky has had very high marks for a while now and is my first choice but our lab can't afford the number of licenses we would need.

haven't gone anywhere... didn't see any 'technical questions' either. are you drunk?

and why on earth would you continue to use AVG if it were so ineffective... talk about laughable..

by the way, here's a review of MSE by pcmag (hey, look jiu, it's a 'pro'! laugh.gif)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2353699,00.asp

detects only 98% of trojans...and only 90% of adware and spyware samples...

MSE doesn't use behavior based detection either... ugh...

and to top it off...

" ....left behind significant amounts of non-executable malware traces. That's a better result than I measured - I found that Security Essentials left behind executable files for many of the samples. It also successfully removed all of their active rootkit samples but left several of mine running even after alleged cleanup."...

jiu, you really should think before you go recommending software such as that and sticking your neck out there like that bud.

You post a review of MSE from February 2009?? Are you drunk?

As to the Technical statement, I was not referring to yourself, as I'm sure that you have little or no technical knowledge when it comes to PCs.

Also your ability to comprehend is impaired. I spend a lot of time cleaning up other people machines of Trojans let in by AVG.

The fact that you post a review that is eighteen months old in order to try to bolster your case shows the paucity of your knowledge.

Give it a rest. Don't further embarrass yourself.

You can continue to use AVG if you wish, but don't try to drag others down with you too. Especially when you have such little knowledge about the subject.

Guess my subtle hint to relax didn't take hold. So a formal caution to stop the bickering is now given. Brand loyalties, like with mobiles/cameras, seem to be at play with AV software also. ;)

Some testing results:

PCMag Lab Testing

Filterguide 2011 ICSA Labs

From av-comparatives.org

August 2010 AV-comparatives report.pdf

Detection rate:

post-566-006929200 1286001740_thumb.jpg

False Positives:

post-566-088426500 1286001765_thumb.jpg