Text And Talk Academy

I've heard many good things about this school.

If you have never taught before, you definitely do NOT want the CELTA program as they advertise that 1/3 the students do not pass. It is clearly for experienced teachers looking for a challenge.

TEFL Institute is another school that should have a branch up there.

If you have never taught before, you definitely do NOT want the CELTA program as they advertise that 1/3 the students do not pass. It is clearly for experienced teachers looking for a challenge.

Totally disagree. The only ones who don't pass are, in my experience, alkies and those having to work at the same time.

I managed to though, drunk every single night, but I hade a few years of teaching experience when I did it(well London Trinity TESOL, the same but a little better :o ).

Well I did not make up that figure. Read it for yourself on the CELTA site....

http://www.eccthai.com/training/celtaECC.asp

It is in the "Dont lose sleep over grades" section.

However, I think this may be an error; they probably did mean to say 93% pass, not 63%. Makes more sense.

Nevertheless, the CELTA is for hardcore or ambitious types ... probably the most rigorous of all the TEFL prep/Certificate courses.

Text'n'Talk/Chiang Mai is the only course I've taken (or observed).  It did a great job for me.  I recently observed there, and can see it's still an effective program.  I recommend it, but have no direct knowledge of other courses.

In what way(s) did it help you? How do prospective employers view qualifications from there?

Thanks for your forthcoming input.

I signed up with them from the U.S. for their course in Pattaya. Then changed my mind as to timing. They were helpful and accomodating. Visited their site in Chiang Mai when it was at the temple, and except for the lack of air condiitioning, all seemed very professional.

Their new site at Thad Pae Gate might be airconditioned.

If your doing it for anything more than the certificate, dream on.

Talented teachers are born, not made, in my opinion. All the world class teachers that I have had would have been good at almost anything they attempted due to their natural talents. I was lucky they chose teaching.

The academicians who used my classroom for a vehicle to support themselves while doing research were the worst.

I need not comment on the clear division between the good and poor English teachers in Thailand but I suspect they fall into their categories for much the same reasons.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

I studied at Chaing Mai Text and Talk, had a job two weeks later from a contact. Jake was the Teachertrainer then, was a class bloke. Goodtimes, very hungover and still passed, so maybe some so called "Alkies" do get through! Tee hee...

p.s. You just have to turn up and if your not stupid, to put it bluntly, you will be fine. The grammar lectures are the head basher!!! Goodluck...

Text'n'Talk/Chiang Mai is the only course I've taken (or observed).  It did a great job for me.  I recently observed there, and can see it's still an effective program.  I recommend it, but have no direct knowledge of other courses.

In what way(s) did it help you? How do prospective employers view qualifications from there?

Thanks for your forthcoming input.

The course helped me understand Thai students, children and adolescent learners, native speakers of Thai, keeping discipline in Thai classrooms, etc. My first employer recruited me through the school. All other prospective employers have considered the certificate as fully qualifying in that regard.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ya,

I did my TEFL course with a well known Bkk outfit, it lasted for 1 month and was only classroom based on a Saturday morning the rest of the time was either internet based with the on-line teacher asking questions or writing essays in your own time about topics the teachers set. It left alot of free time to look for work and other important things as I had only just arrived in Bkk and needed to relax a bit! well worth it, a very professional outfit.

I worked with teachers who went through the Bkk Text and Talk academy. I believe they took alot of confidence from the course and this helped them to learn very quickly how to survive the first 6 months of TEFL teaching. Which is by far the most difficult as you're always questioning your ability to teach.

Any TEFL course is only the first step in a new career which for most people will be short term. Don't take it too seriously, I recommend you look for the cheaper options and if you find you're enjoying teaching then you can look at enrolling on degree courses which will give you the real deal.

Tefl courses are like driving lessons the first few you need an instructor then you can do drive yourself.

Edited by sanook2me

which "well known bangkok outfit"?

Spencer International part of a larger organization based at Amarin Tower above Sogo and they are called The Bangkok School of Management.

You will find all the details about courses on the Spencer website..

Very good value for money if you're just starting out in teaching and want the confidence and some tricks to use in class.