Salaengs/Samlors....

napalm

I have a samlor too. Unlike many car drivers I am v aware of my deficiences and refuse to drive a car here as there's a good chance I would end up killing someone! Feeling safe and protected in a car, I find it only too easy to lose the necessary concentration, and with so many people driving like idiots, one needs to be 100% on the ball at all times.

99% of the time I ride my motorbike, but need something bigger to transport the big water bottles. The chances of killing someone on a motorbike or samlor are far lower than in a car - so for me, are preferable options.

And your chances of getting killed on a rice rocket are very high!!!!!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posters complaining about the number of salaengs/samlors on the roads, assuming they are all illegal and not insured.

If equipped with lights, there is no way to see if its been inspected and approved thus legal, or illegal. Most of them drive rather slowly and carefully, since they are loaded with BBQ, mangos, or whatever. Compulsory insurance for motorbikes basicly doesnt cover anything anyway, so why does it matter if it covers salaeng/samlor?

I have never seen one involved or causing an accident, while other vehicles are seen in accidents frequently.

Anyone ever seen one of them in an accident?

>>I have never seen one involved or causing an accident,

KBB,

Are you serious, or is it an early start to a weekend :)? You don't recall just 2 years ago a samlor going the wrong way on the bypass road ( actually on the main road to the airport) which caused a major accident resulting in a few deaths?

How about all these wrong way samlors that push everyone else over one lane that doesn't get reported when there is an accident? This is a daily occurance, not an oddity.

Edited by steelepulse

KBB,

Are you serious, or is it an early start to a weekend :)? You don't recall just 2 years ago a samlor going the wrong way on the bypass road ( actually on the main road to the airport) which caused a major accident resulting in a few deaths?

How about all these wrong way samlors that push everyone else over one lane that doesn't get reported when there is an accident? This is a daily occurance, not an oddity.

Yes, I was about to relate the samlor causing the bus crash. And I have witnessed a number of crashes caused by samlors over the years, and a larger number of very near accidents caused by samlors.

KBB,

Yes, I was about to relate the samlor causing the bus crash. And I have witnessed a number of crashes caused by samlors over the years, and a larger number of very near accidents caused by samlors.

excellent

so lets picture the same drivers with 2 ton pickups or larger vehicles, and we all love samlors:D :D:D

of course we are all annoyed by them, due to their riders lack of abilities and concern for others

however they are for decades to come needed in this developing country, and they where common and accepted here long before we came to live here.

a need a new cooking gas bottle today, and it will be deliverd by a samlor:)

Edited by katabeachbum

They generally drive slow & sometimes they are difficult to get past but after you do they then jump the queue at the next set of lights & the same process starts over.

Exactly, difficult to get past and then at the next set of traffic lights they push up the inside and park right at the front, then hold up the traffic once the lights change. Thanks for reminding us of that Valentine ...

They generally drive slow & sometimes they are difficult to get past but after you do they then jump the queue at the next set of lights & the same process starts over.

They certainly drive slowly, with the amount of weight a lot of them are trying to shift they would be battling to get into 3rd gear

Even as a small motorbike rider they are annoying.

Inevitably, at lights they try to go up the left side, fail to make it because of their width, then, block all motorbikes that could have got to the front.

Thanks, but that is no answer to any of the questions. You're guessing about legality and you're guessing about the insurance.

Well if it helps I can tell you that the Saling IS illegal here in Thailand and that if you have an accident (of any kind) it WILL be your fault I can assure you that the police will not even ask the other partys involved any questions, IT will be your fault and you will pay! there is no insurance! Thai or Falang, (and if you are falang you will be in BIG trouble) I know this as a fact! :rolleyes:

It's the only way many Thais can scratch a living here.

Instead of bitching about them, why not have a go at the ... in their Benthz (sic) and Fortuners. I've never even been close to being mowed down by somone riding a samlor, but have by a lot of .... safe within their 'status symbols'. S'funny, I always think of some skinny/overweight little guy/fat beeatch with self-confidence issues emerging from these things and never been wrong. .....

As to the poster who said something along the lines of 'a motorbike or car, legally insured' (as if that doesn't stop them trying to send you/themselves to Glory), you're kidding, right?

Status symbol, get a life, whats wrong with you just because they have a nice car, you cant afford one or what?? let people drive what they want. And i have been close to be run over by one of them, have you seen how many without light on the side car? maybe not

Well if it helps I can tell you that the Saling IS illegal here in Thailand and that if you have an accident (of any kind) it WILL be your fault I can assure you that the police will not even ask the other partys involved any questions, IT will be your fault and you will pay! there is no insurance! Thai or Falang, (and if you are falang you will be in BIG trouble) I know this as a fact! :rolleyes:

Thanks. Can you support your claims, or do we just have to believe it because youmclaim it?

Thanks. Can you support your claims, or do we just have to believe it because youmclaim it?

saleangs/samlors/sidecars can be inspected, approved and thus legal

if you want to buy a brand new one, have a look at Tiger Retro at approx 50k baht

there is no insurance to speak of for ANY motorbike less than 200cc, so whats the difference? you have a bike accident, with or without samlor, you pay

Edited by katabeachbum

looking at one you can not decide if its legal or illegal, neither can police, reg book needs to be checked.

Of the 27 I spotted the other morning, my rough guess is that they were all illegal. The Highway Police or Phuket

Provincial Land Transport Office should be able to answer that question without even checking their records.

I wonder if there is even one that is legally registered here in Phuket and I'm not talking about professional sidecars

with brakes i.e. HDs etc.

And how did you come to the conclusion they are all illegal? I am wondering, what is illegal about them? Mine gets a new sticker every year plus insurance, is it still illegal?

Yes its still illegal :rolleyes:

Yes I can support my claim, and as you have a saling thats taxed and has insurance maybe you can tell us all to which government station you took it to (with the saling attached) or did you as I suspect take it to your local bike test shop who did all the work for you to get it taxed. If you did then your motor bike has tax and insurance, BUT its not registered as a Saling!!! None of them you see in Phuket are, taxed or not. OK :rolleyes:

And how did you come to the conclusion they are all illegal? I am wondering, what is illegal about them? Mine gets a new sticker every year plus insurance, is it still illegal?

the requirement to be legal is

1. brake, less powerfull than bikes rearwheel brake, IOW a small drum, usually not stronger than able to turn wheel in air while applying brake 100%.

2. LH lights, indicator, rearlight and brakelight

inspection

LEGAL

so how on earth do you know if stevenl samlor is illegal:rolleyes:

Yes I can support my claim, and as you have a saling thats taxed and has insurance maybe you can tell us all to which government station you took it to (with the saling attached) or did you as I suspect take it to your local bike test shop who did all the work for you to get it taxed. If you did then your motor bike has tax and insurance, BUT its not registered as a Saling!!! None of them you see in Phuket are, taxed or not. OK :rolleyes:

There are LEGAL salaengs in Phuket, let me know if you want to inspect one

looking at one you can not decide if its legal or illegal, neither can police, reg book needs to be checked.

Of the 27 I spotted the other morning, my rough guess is that they were all illegal. The Highway Police or Phuket

Provincial Land Transport Office should be able to answer that question without even checking their records.

I wonder if there is even one that is legally registered here in Phuket and I'm not talking about professional sidecars

with brakes i.e. HDs etc.

As I said recently on another thread, just constantly saying something is illegal just because technically on paper somewhere it is, is a pointless exercise. What the law actually is and how it is enforced are two completely different things. These things are a fundamental part of thai life so no law regarding them will ever be enforced properly.

There are LEGAL salaengs in Phuket, let me know if you want to inspect one

Well please tell me in you estimation how many legal Salings there are on Phuket as a percentage then I think you will see that there is an excellent chance that Stevens is illegal. As mine is! And yes I would like to see one, please PM me Thanks

Since i came to phuket i have seen exactly 3 farangs driving them. Funny thing is. 3 farangs in this thread admitted to driving one. Good chances i saw those 3 guys since i doubt many farangs would want to be seen in one of them.

Funny thing is, all 3 of them were old or on very old and cheap motorbikes and definitely not legal. If the 3 of them genuinely liked to ride motorbikes but had loads to move around, they would simply buy something worth more than 1k baht to attach in the back, a tuktuk or one of those steel reinforced samlor that looks like a mini car. or wait even better.. if they were real motorbike enthusiast they'd have a real motorbike.. not a cheap honda wave

Or the few times they had loads they use the car to get them, a car can carry as much as those little crapmobiles.

Always funny when farangs on 20k baht a month tries to make excuses for their weird living.

Since i came to phuket i have seen exactly 3 farangs driving them. Funny thing is. 3 farangs in this thread admitted to driving one. Good chances i saw those 3 guys since i doubt many farangs would want to be seen in one of them.

Funny thing is, all 3 of them were old or on very old and cheap motorbikes and definitely not legal. If the 3 of them genuinely liked to ride motorbikes but had loads to move around, they would simply buy something worth more than 1k baht to attach in the back, a tuktuk or one of those steel reinforced samlor that looks like a mini car. or wait even better.. if they were real motorbike enthusiast they'd have a real motorbike.. not a cheap honda wave

Or the few times they had loads they use the car to get them, a car can carry as much as those little crapmobiles.

Always funny when farangs on 20k baht a month tries to make excuses for their weird living.

What you say is maybe true but not sure about the 20k bit and weird living, and yes I am maybe one of the three saling drivers you have seen but dont assume to much I also have three motorbikes, real ones! and I suspect more money than you will ever have! and the Tuk Tuk bit You are well out of touch if you think you can drive one around Phuket. :rolleyes:

if you made more than 20k baht per month youD' be abble to afford these

trailer_regularcoot.jpg

single-bike-trailer1.jpg

which would not only make you look better, but it would make you safer and it would stop cars from having to swirl in the oposite lane to drive around you.

if you made more than 20k baht per month youD' be abble to afford these

trailer_regularcoot.jpg

single-bike-trailer1.jpg

which would not only make you look better, but it would make you safer and it would stop cars from having to swirl in the oposite lane to drive around you.

Sorry I dont need one I will use the pickup :rolleyes: