Update On Immigration Visit

ProThaiExpat

As I have posted, the new office and procedures were a bit intimidating to this "oldie" who remembers the old log books and un-air-conditioned waiting.

Today was my second visit and left within 45 minutes with my non-immO in hand. Once I learned the new system of digital numbering and call boards, things went much smother. For those who are similarly challenged, I offer my moments of empowerment.

1. The machine you get your number from can be read in English by pushing the British Flag, if the immigration officer is not there to help, but when he is away, he turns off the machine so I didn't see any customers use it.

2. The call boards display the number now being served on top and the last number served below it. Three numbers for customers on the left, on the right is the counter number. Today I learned that the call board over the front counter in the middle, really just to the left of the swinging door leading to the desk area displays the number being paged at the moment by flashing. However, the guy who handed me my passport with my new visa in it and who did all the processing for me on both days, didn't bother with the paging system or the flashing number method I had just learned, but beckoned me over to pick it up. He ever gave me the next two forms I would need to get my one year extension.

3. I learned on Wednesday that staff are allocated as to the numbers of applicants there are, so visas get the most staff and extensions and visa changes get one or two people. I waited an hour and a half Wednesday and just 45 minutes today, and they really didn't start processing till shortly before nine.

4. Clearly with 90 day reporting and Residence Certificates being added to the visa office since I was last here, there are many more people to be processed with very little increase in staff that I could see.

5. By having you return, they have eliminated the step where you are sitting in front of the higher ranking officers who must check every detail and check them off before signing. May be different for long term extensions, time will tell.

I went to immigration for my last 90 day reporting before my first year on my retirement visa is up. I had no problems and was done within five minutes. As the officer handed my passport back to me, I asked about paperwork that I would need next time for my renewal. My entry date was Dec. 10, 2009 on a multi-entry visa that I had obtained before arriving in Thailand. I had left for a day and came back once during that time as my visa allowed me to do. The officer told me that I would have to go to Mai Sai on Nov. 28 and reenter, at that time my visa would be renewed. This sounds a little strange to me because it seems a little simple and he did not say anything about proof of income or anything else. Anybody have any input on this as to what he was talking about?

BBob

Yes, I myself prefer to deal with folks here in Chiang Mai. But yours is a visa question, the first (I think) listed when you click on Thai Visa above left. Go to that thread for best advice.

Ir this is your first year, as apparently it is, I find that by leaving the country and returning BEFORE the one year is up, you have exercised an aspect of which I was unaware. Your visa is good for another year. Then, however, one has to go through the financial proofs again.

I'm not clear about this in detail, but there are mods there who are very familiar with the rules and options. A search followed by a request should nothing turn up should put you in the best place for an answer.

Edited by CMX

I renewed my retirement visa last year and am getting ready to do it again next week. Last year I went to the US Consulate to get a paper from them saying how much money I get a month. 60,000 minaum required. I then went to Immigration and was out in about a hour and a half.

I also get the multiple entry visa. That is extra. Without it if you leave the country you only have 30 days when you come back.

I went to immigration for my last 90 day reporting before my first year on my retirement visa is up. I had no problems and was done within five minutes. As the officer handed my passport back to me, I asked about paperwork that I would need next time for my renewal. My entry date was Dec. 10, 2009 on a multi-entry visa that I had obtained before arriving in Thailand. I had left for a day and came back once during that time as my visa allowed me to do. The officer told me that I would have to go to Mai Sai on Nov. 28 and reenter, at that time my visa would be renewed. This sounds a little strange to me because it seems a little simple and he did not say anything about proof of income or anything else. Anybody have any input on this as to what he was talking about?

I don't think that is true at all. My guess is you and thai official are talking about two different things. Leaving at the border and re-entering does not renewal your retirement visa for another year. All you are doing by departing and re-entering is activating your multi-re-entry permit. Renewal is another animal and you need to find out exactly what you need to do.

CB

I think the immigration officer was correct. It sounds as if BBob bought a 12 month multiple entry on 29/11/2009, thus if he leaves and re-enters on the 28/11/2009 he'll "extend" his stay on his initial visa to February 2011.

I'm no expert on this though, and not sure how it would affect his renewal.