Gf Whants Driving License!

Basically there are no rules. If you have insurance on the car it will not cover her if in an accident and if the car is in your name you will be responsible for all cost. Outside of that, no problem.

OH DEAR!:o Thanks for the swift answere. Sooo absolutly out of the question then!!!

Regards

Tiger

To the letter of the law, you'de probably need a work permit as well. ;)

Getting even "better"! Probably spend the rest of my life behind bars if we do this.:blink:

No, I will hire someone to do the "Crash Course"! Much cheaper and safer ( for me!)!

Thanks gents!

Tiger

Basically there are no rules. If you have insurance on the car it will not cover her if in an accident and if the car is in your name you will be responsible for all cost. Outside of that, no problem.

OH DEAR!:o Thanks for the swift answere. Sooo absolutly out of the question then!!!

Regards

Tiger

If you let a Thai teach her to drive she will drive Thai style. Go through red lights and use the outside lane to crawl along at 20km an hour. Make sure the roads she takes has white lines as they like to stick to them as well. Good 1st class insurance will be essential and good luck

Reckon you'll be surprised how quickly she picks it up? Used to scoots from age 5(days), the basics are already ingrained!

Wasn't looking forward to teaching my wife, I could see the fireworks coming a mile away! However, a couple of scribbled sketches on scrap paper covering general positioning (including the l/r of centre in a lane to indicate intention as well asindicators , the best line around a bend without cutting the corner to such an extent ending up in the bike lane on the wrong side of oncoming traffic :blink: plus positioning for junctions, U-turns (pickups' a bit longer than cars) and especially preparing to reverse.

Reversing has remained 'my job' to this day however :lol:

Isaan as flat as a witches tit, so practised hill starts on the ramp leading into the village. "Forward 6", good, now back a foot..." to the smell of gently roasting clutch plates! Reversing and general manoeuvring through the tighter sois, but only those with a grass verge before concrete wall!!

Followed with 4 x 4hr duration driving lessons, once weekly on different loops so it was all new to her. 4hrs duration because it's Bpuk's responsibility to drive our service vehicle on tour, and she may as well learn to drive distance first as last! 1st hour a bit tricky, although she was fine through the tight sois, steering geometry changes at speed caught her out a few times. You know yourself just by watching the wheel where it should be so correction's less stressful than you'd imagine.

Overtaking properly, by giving plenty of space, then accelerating towards the vehicle in front before smoothly slipping past was a doddle. Getting rid of that bladdy stupid habit they have of using their flashers to indicate back IN to the running lane (single carriageway) was a different matter!

And if I may blow my own trumpet I'd like to think I did a fair job? Assisted of course by wifey being no slouch :) 4yrs on, 200,000Km covered, and she's not put a scratch on my baby? Fair play, touch wood! However, it continues to concern me every time we pull up to a stop/attraction (on the MHS Loop for example, not many overtaking opportunities) after seriously HOONING it on the bikes for the last couple of hours, squeezing through minute gaps every time oncoming traffic allows, engines pinging, brakes smoking, and less than 2min later she pulls up, big white grin only visible behind the dark tint, door/roof panels bouncing from some Mor-Lam at full-blast, cool as a flaming cucumber?

It never ceases to amaze our guests, jaws visibly drop, and by the 2nd or 3rd day the gauntlet has been picked up, alas 5min is the best a party has beaten her by?? I've asked some who've travelled with her for an honest appraisal so I could issue a (safety ;) ) bollocking but all have remained incredibly deferential and positive about the entire experience. Ashen-faced, wild-eyed, visibly shaken, but still full of praise :lol:

Go for it, it's pretty amusing to see your own bad habits transferred if nothing else!!

Be prepared for a FULL day at the test centre. Also be warned the track is probably tighter than anything she'll have been used to so far. My lady failed the first lap, touched a couple of cones (and I wasn't about to bribe the supervisor, lol!) but I was actually VERY impressed by her performance, the extra length on the pickup (in hindsight better to use the little Micra provided?) didn't do her any favours.

Another excellent reason to teach her yourself is you can demonstrate forward planning, intuition and foresight while at it :whistling: essential to keeping your shiny new motor in that state? :rolleyes:

I've a mate selling a 30,000b clunker if you're interested...? :jap:

Honda do driving courses that include the licence. My girlfriend did the motocycle one and passed got all paperwork for licence. Well worth looking at. go on the honda website and look for safety course. It is not on the road but a big track with road marking, signs and stuff.

If you're not too far out in the boonies there are a few driving schools available. My wife's friend studied at one in KK and when I've driven with her she's been very competent behind the wheel.

Translated:

I have to buy a car and my GF wants it.

100 percent correct! But no no no!I want car! My name! My money! My car!

Bin there! Done that!;)

l taught my wife to drive don't know about GF though.

The cars are in my Mrs. name and l want it to stay like that. :coffee1:

Edited by Kwasaki