Native Thai Sausages

jan1van1hooten

In the north, and maybe in Bkk, the thai's have pretty good native sausages.

There is a white one with a tangy taste, I used to buy at the native market in Chiang Rai. It is also sold in CM. It is sold in sections I believe.

There are also pretty good small --- two, three inch long -- white sausages sold at sompet market

(The people at sompet are a bit difficult to deal with sometimes so you have to just run in an out..) You have to get there early as this sausage is often sold out.

Another sausage, not quite as good but edible is a longer red one sold around the corner from Sompet market on Moonmuang.

WHERE YOU SHOULD NOT BUY THAI SAUSAGE: at the sunday market in Thapae square. The vendors there fill their sausages with grease and filler. If that is your only choice you are better off getter a hot dog at 7-Eleven.

Anyone who can provide the names of these sausages is welcome to comment.

Also perhaps someone knows the name and location of good sausages in the Khao San Road area.

(the ladies who work the streets around there are also fire-eaters.)

Edited by jan1van1hooten

The best Chiang Mai Sausages ( sai uua ) that I have found is at Mae Hea Market in Tambon Mae Hea.

I get mine from Carrefour, there the best I've tasted I normally buy them in bulk and freeze them, they go great chopped up with pasta and a homemade tomato sauce :licklips:

I am fairly certain that the OP is referring to Sai Krok Isaan. The sour one that is also sold in smaller ball shapes. There are a few places that are adequate here in CM but you cannot find the same quality that you can in Isaan.

If you are buying sausage from a chain store or supermarket, you definitely have no taste.

I am fairly certain that the OP is referring to Sai Krok Isaan. The sour one that is also sold in smaller ball shapes. There are a few places that are adequate here in CM but you cannot find the same quality that you can in Isaan.

If you are buying sausage from a chain store or supermarket, you definitely have no taste.

Bit of a silly statement, taste is very subjective - I've been eating various Isaan & CM sausages for around 15 years in CM and the best for my taste are the Carrefour ones