Real Ale In Bangkok

clifric

A friend of mine is stopping off in Bangkok for three days en route to watch Ashes matches in Australia.

He asked if there are any bars selling real ale in Bangkok. I don't spend that much time up there,so any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

Real ale does not go with a tropical climate. Some things like real ale, fish and chips, cheese and good wine are best left to looking forward to on return to Falangland. Get your friends used to the idea that they are coming to a foreign country and they need to try out the local stuff rather than try to replicate their home tastes. Chang, Beer Lao and Lao Khao (not all at once and Lao Khao in strictly limited quantities!) are sufficiently different and rewarding in there own way that they can manage for a few weeks!

If it's brewing purity they are after (a la real ales - 4 ingredients and no additives) then some of the German lagers in Bangkok are worth drinking for all but the prissy anti-lager beard and sandal real ale brigade.

[Most John Smiths (probably all) out here is 'smoothflow' which is a 'keg bitter' already under pressure and pretty much dead in the barrel - therefore not real ale]

TV CAMRA member

Get your friends used to the idea that they are coming to a foreign country and they need to try out the local stuff rather than try to replicate their home tastes.

Amen. When in Rome....

Londoner brews Lager and Bitter? which is more like dark lager. Tawandeang brews "German" beer one light one dunkel. It is OK but not ale.

If your friend has not been here before, Singha, Leo, Chang etc.. all low cost lagers but they are Thai. The Blue Oyster Bar has quite a few imported beers, i.e. Hoegaarden but again not ale. Bull's Head used to also have Kilkenny not sure if it does now.

The Londoner brews its own beer. On the corner of Sukhumvit and Soi 33. Basement of the building

http://www.the-londoner.com/

for details

Representing the stuff that The Londoner sells as "Real Ale" (even as "Beer") is a traversty.

Stick to local Beers - or Imported brands you know from home if you are only here for a few days and don't want to experiment. (But then again - why leave home!?)

Patrick

The Londoner brews its own beer. On the corner of Sukhumvit and Soi 33. Basement of the building

http://www.the-londoner.com/

for details

Representing the stuff that The Londoner sells as "Real Ale" (even as "Beer") is a traversty.

Stick to local Beers - or Imported brands you know from home if you are only here for a few days and don't want to experiment. (But then again - why leave home!?)

Patrick

Got to agree with Patrick on this one,

quote "The Londoner brews its own beer.", why come x thousand miles to drink home brew.

Love the quote by a previous poster,

"the prissy anti-lager beard and sandal real ale brigade."

he omitted the rest of the sentance, wooly sweater wearing, pipe smokers who only listen to folk music.

Edited by rgs2001uk

Thanks to those with constructive comments which I will bear in mind.

As to the guy who is referred to but seems not to appear in the above then to streotype all real ale drinkers as '"the prissy anti-lager beard and sandal real ale brigade."

he omitted the rest of the sentance, wooly sweater wearing, pipe smokers who only listen to folk music. - the least said the better.

Thanks for your comments

Get your friends used to the idea that they are coming to a foreign country and they need to try out the local stuff rather than try to replicate their home tastes.

Amen. When in Rome....

Londoner brews Lager and Bitter? which is more like dark lager. Tawandeang brews "German" beer one light one dunkel. It is OK but not ale.

If your friend has not been here before, Singha, Leo, Chang etc.. all low cost lagers but they are Thai. The Blue Oyster Bar has quite a few imported beers, i.e. Hoegaarden but again not ale. Bull's Head used to also have Kilkenny not sure if it does now.

As to the guy who is referred to but seems not to appear in the above then to streotype all real ale drinkers as '"the prissy anti-lager beard and sandal real ale brigade."

he omitted the rest of the sentance, wooly sweater wearing, pipe smokers who only listen to folk music. - the least said the better.

You need to read my posting in the context of the sign off - CAMRA member - that means Campaign for Real Ale. Being a devotee myself, I was not slagging off real ale or all real ale drinkers (just a certain element of real ale fans who have very restricted views on beer).

As we all know 'any beer is better than no beer'.

Point taken and agreed with, I just thought sterotyping real ale drinkers was a bit over the top. My friend is a CAMRA member also and he made the enquiry.

I used to drink real ale in UK but now use Singha and the odd John Smith's

Thanks for your interest.

You need to read my posting in the context of the sign off - CAMRA member - that means Campaign for Real Ale. Being a devotee myself, I was not slagging off real ale or all real ale drinkers (just a certain element of real ale fans who have very restricted views on beer).

All of Londoner brews are lagers - meaning brewed using lager yeasts.

There are no ales commercially brewed in Thailand. Tawandaeng probably uses ale yeast for their weizenbier - but it is brewed using wheat malt, not barley malt.

About the only ales served here are Cooper's ales from Australia. Cooper's IPA (green label) is served at Mojos, and at The Office - both on a side soi off Sukhumvit Soi 33. It - along with Cooper's Sparkling Ale (red label) - are served a Bradmans' Pub on Sukhumvit Soi 23, and at the Australian Bar & Grill on Sukhumvit Soi 11.

Cheers!

IS

Edited by Indo-Siam

:D Know what you mean. My old man has a real ale pub back in Scotland (and a microbrewery out back)......when the CAMRA crowd arrive and have to try a half pint of this or that between three of them it pisses him right off. Drink the <deleted>' stuff <deleted>!!

:lol:

It's not exactly round the corner, but Old Speckled Hen is available in The Penny Black, Boat Quay, Singapore from a keg under nitrogen pressure (like Guinness). It is served colder than I prefer and with too much head, it is also rather expensive (about S$13 - 300 Baht - a pint), BUT it tastes absolutely fantastic when you haven't had a visit to the UK for a while! It's my primary destination when I do a visa run to Singers!! In Bangkok I have seen it in cans in places like Villa Supermarket & Siam Paragon's Gourmet Food Market.