Thailand Live Wednesday 6 Oct 2010

webfact

Five shot dead in troubled Thai south: police

YALA, October 6, 2010 (AFP) - Suspected Islamic separatist militants shot dead five civilians in attacks across Thailand's restive south, police said Wednesday.

A 33-year-old Muslim man was gunned down in the driveway of his home as he returned from a party on Tuesday evening in Yala, one of three insurgency-hit provinces. He died instantly.

In a separate incident on the same evening, a 43-year-old Muslim local administration chief was shot dead at his home in Pattani province.

Also in Pattani, three Buddhist men were killed while they were transporting chickens to a slaughterhouse on Tuesday night.

The wave of violence comes as a new commander takes charge of Thailand's armed forces in the troubled southern border provinces.

More than 4,300 people, both civilians and security personnel, have been killed in the Muslim-majority region since a separatist insurgency erupted more than six years ago.

Rights groups have warned that alleged abuses by the security forces in the region risk stoking the unrest.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-10-06

SUBURB TERROR

Police search house of a man linked to explosion

Chiang Mai police on Wednesday searched a house in Chiang Mai province belonging to a man suspected of involving in a powerful blast in Nonthaburi on Tuesday.

Police found no suspicious items in the house of Samai Wongsuwan, in Hangdong district. His wife, whose name is not revealed, told police that Samai is a supporter of red shirts movement and frequently joined the protests at Rachaprasong intersection in May.

Police identified Samai as renting a room at Samarn Metta Mansion in Nonthaburi's Bang Bua Thong district, where a powerful explosion started on Tuesday evening.

Samai is among many reds supporters who are issued arrest warrants under the emergency decree imposed during the May violence in Bangkok.

The blast which ripped off most part of the mansion killed at least three and injured many others.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-06

INN: Police find hand grenades, AKA rounds, bomb components at Bang Bua Thong mansion /via @TAN_Network

Police chief:Samai Wongsuwan,who owns fishing dock,is red shirt supporter/has arrest warrant for throwing firecracker in Chiang Mai /via @TAN_Network

Search of Samartmetta mansion yields explosive, guns and fertilizer /via @TAN_Network

POWERFUL BLAST

Security tightened for Oct 6-14

By The Nation

The Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation has assinged police to take charge of security measures on October 6-to-14 in the face of rallies held by the yellow shirts and the red shirts, CRES spokesman Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd said on Wednesday.

In his first instruction as the CRES director, Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan ordered police to deploy 2,600 security forces bracing for the upcoming rallies, Sansern said.

"Prawit wants the anti-riot forces to be ready for reining in the situation within 15 minutes if violence erupts," he said.

The defence minister also instructed police to explain to rally organisers that the authorities would strictly enforce the law, including the ban for erecting a rally stage, he said, adding the security measures will be applied to both the yellow shirts and the red shirts.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau has been assigned the primary responsibilities to keep peace at red and yellow rallies.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-06

Gen Chavalit dismisses assassination rumor on Newin

BANGKOK, October 6 (NNT) - The Pheu Thai Party does not believe the assassination plot on the Mr. Newin Chidchob is true; demanding the Bhumjaithai de facto leader's explanation why he thinks Mr. Thaksin Shinawatra is sabotaging the nation.

The Pheu Thai Party Chairperson, General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, wants the de facto leader of the Bhumjaithai Party, Mr Newin, to be specific about the accusation against the former Prime Minister. General Chavalit believes every individual has his/her own reason regarding how the political movements affect the livelihood of Thai people.

As for the assassination plot, General Chavalit dismisses the rumor, which claims there is a 20 million baht bounty on Mr Newin’s head, and believes he has received the information from an unreliable source.

The Bhumjaithai Party power broker used to be Mr Thaksin’s close aide, but both are now parted and relations between the two have been spoiled. Mr Newin announced on Monday that his ex-boss hired a hit-man to assassinate him.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-10-06 footer_n.gif

Global warming seminar in Phuket 7 October

phuket-1-ntlydme.jpg

Tourists prepare to board a longtail boat for a tour of the

vast Thalae Noi swamplands in Phattalung, one of many

low-lying regions in Thailand that could disappear with

rising sea levels. File photo.

Follow this link:

Arisman's radio interview published by KhaoSod: "I'm here in Thailand, and near Bkk. Police saw me but they wouldn't arrest me." /via @Tulsathit

Is Rambo OK? Arisman: He's still alive. His first objective is to stay safe so we had to avoid meeting each other. /via @tulsathit

Why won't u turn yrself in? Arisman: I'm not like my friends. They gave in, but I wouldn't. I'll fight. They shot at me and I fought. /via @tulsathit

Arisman: I thought they'd kill me (on May 19), so I decided my own fate. I left stage amid sounds of gunfire. /via @tulsathit

Arisman: I wore new shirt, pair of glasses & a wig. In front of (Erawan) shrine I said if what I had done was wrong, let me be killed. /via @tulsathit

Arisman: I chose most dangerous escape routes, coz they wouldn't look for me there. Rumours ab my arrest must have to do with imposters. /via @tulsathit

Arisman: A shirt vendor named Sompop helped me. He was so afraid he couldn't walk but he wanted to help his knight. /via @tulsathit

Arisman: There were ab 20 soldiers to receive me. They were all democracy lovers. I wanted to go back and fight. They stopped me./via @tulsathit

How's yr family? Arisman: Big problem for me. I used to kiss my 3 kids every time I was home but I can't do that now./via @tulsathit

What do u think of Sanan's reconciliation plan? Arisman: He played a part in the killings but now he's calling for recon./via @tulsathit

Arisman: I go in and out of country as I please./via @tulsathit

SAMARN METTA BLAST

Blast has same pattern and formular as earlier bomb attacks

By The Nation

The bomb blast in Nonthaburi on Tuesday has the similar formula and pattern of several bomb attacks in Bangkok including at the Mall's Ngamwongwan branch, Public Health Ministry and the Royal Turf Club, a senior forensic police said Wednesday.

However Pol Col Thawatchai Mekprasertsuk, commander of forensic division, dismissed reports that linked the explosion at a mansion in Bang Bua Thong district to those in the deep south provinces.

He was speaking after collecting evidence at Saman Metta mansion which was ripped off by a powerful bomb blast on Tuesday. The blast killed at least four and injured many others.

"We have found two air conditioner coolant storage cylinders and fire extinguishers in the site. Judging from the items found, we learnt that the formula and pattern of the Tuesday blast are similar to those which had happened in Bangkok earlier," the commander said.

The attacks included those at the Mall's Ngamwongwan branch, Public Health Ministry, Santirat School and the Royal Turf Club.

He said that the explosion may go off prematurely when the bombers were making bombs inside room 202 in the mansion.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-06

A snap poll likely to happen early next year: Suwat

The coalition alliance is likely to stay intact and the next poll will probably take place early next year, faction leader Suwat Liptapanlop of Ruam Chart Pattana Party said on Wednesday.

Suwat played down speculation about wavering loyatly of the coalition partners.

"I believe all parties are preparing for the next poll and that the reconciliation will be the campaigning highlight of every party," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-06

Suthep: Bomb situation under control

BANGKOK, 6 October 2010 (NNT) - Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva expresses disappointment over the bombing incident in Nonthaburi province.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is disappointing after having been notified about the bombing incident at Saman Metta Mansion in Nonthaburi province. He has assigned officers to investigate and present facts to the public as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, the Prime Minister has clarified the European Union (EU) that the emergency decree is being imposed in order to integrate Thai authorities, who are presently trying to prevent bomb attacks.

The bombing incident happened after the government has extended the emergency decree for another 3 months in Bangkok, Pathumthani, Samutprakarn and Nonthaburi provinces.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thuagsuban says the National Police Chief, Police General Wichean Potephosree, confirms the situation is under control.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-10-06 footer_n.gif

Arisman claims he is in Thailand

Fugitive Arisman Pongruangrong has claimed he is still in Thailand and has sometimes visited Bangkok.

In his radio interview published by Khaosod Wednesday, Arisman said police would not arrest him.

"I'm still here in Thailand. Sometimes I went to Bkk. Police saw me but wouldn't arrest me."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-06

Bt200m influx during Phuket VeggieFest

phuket-1-WWSOCFy.jpg

RIGHT: Spiked-staffs with figurines of Chinese gods as

headpieces are one of the correct implements of self-

mutilation, organizers say. Photo by Christian Mouchet.

phuket-4-jWBImDB.jpg

WRONG: Colorful as they may be, the organizers frown

on beach umbrellas that are sometimes used by "rogue"

mah song.

Follow this link:

Over 400 new A(H1N1) patients found in North

CHIANG MAI, Oct 6 - Over 400 new patients in the northern region of Thailand have been diagnosed as infected with Influenza Type A(H1N1) in only the month of September, the Office of Disease Prevention and Control 10

in Chiang Mai reported on Wednesday.

Following the ongoing spread of the A(H1N1) virus in the eight northern provinces, Dr Saowanee Wiboonsanti, deputy director of the Chiang Mai prevention and control office, confirmed that 437 new patients had contracted the A(H1N1) flu based on laboratory test results last month.

Most new infections were found in Chiang Mai, Lampang and Phayao.

In Chiang Mai, the number of new patients stands at 97 while this year’s cumulative toll has reached 664.

Meanwhile, 157 new cases were reported in Lampang with the 2010 total of 226 patients.

Phayao residents currently suffering from the A(H1N) strain reached 145 while the number of overall patients totalled 271 persons.

Dr Saowanee explained that most new infections, 53 per cent of the new patients, were students, followed by young children.

According to the report, this year’s cumulative number of deaths in the eight northern provinces was 11 which included nine fatalities registered in Chiang Mai.

In response to the current spread of the A(H1N1) flu, local health workers will closely monitor the situation, and common flu patients, as well as educating the public about hygienic measures to prevent the spread of the disease,

Dr Saowanee said.

She also urged high-risk groups to receive anti-A(H1N1) flu shots, aiming to boost immunity against the virus.

The high-risk groups are medical staff, pregnant women, persons weighing over 100 kg and having chronic diseases, health volunteers, high-risk group’ family members, people in large gatherings and others. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-10-06

Officials Pull 5th Body from Bang Bua Thong Mansion

Crews have successfully recovered a fifth body from the remains of a five story building where a bomb exploded yesterday evening. They believe it is the body of Samai Wongsuwan, the owner of the second floor apartment where officials believe the bomb exploded. Samai was wanted for questioning last night after authorities were able to assess that the origin of the explosion was in his room.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-06

footer_n.gif

Burmese Fishing Boat Captain shot and killed in local fishing port

Follow this link:

Motorbike Taxi Driver dies in East Pattaya Motel Room

Follow this link:

Leicester City Football Club led by Sven Goran Eriksson, arrive in Pattaya

Follow this link: