Suvarnabhumi Airport Blamed For Bangkok Flood Woes

webfact

Airport blamed for Bangkok flood woes

By Kanittha Thepjorn

The Nation

An environmentalist yesterday blamed Suvarnabhumi Airport for the flooding in many areas in Bangkok.

Speaking at a seminar on "Bangkok: The Underwater City", Stop Global Warming Association president Srisuwan Janya said he and affected people would sue Suvarnabhumi Airport executives in a bid to get the government to take responsibility for the damage it had done.

The House committee on natural resources and environment organised the seminar at Parliament House.

Another panellist, Smith Dhammasaroj, a director at the National Disaster Warning Council, said the risk of prolonged flooding in the capital was real.

"It's possible that floodwater may rise to between 50 centimetres and one metre. When that day comes, Bangkok's economy and key attractions, like the Grand Palace, will face adverse impacts," he said.

Smith said Bangkok could in fact learn a lesson about how to prevent floods from China and Vietnam.

He recommended the creation of more water-retention areas and installing sluice gates on key rivers.

Samut Prakan Senator Surajit Chirawet, meanwhile, suggested that canals be used to efficiently manage water levels.

The Network for Bangkok Sea and Bang Khun Thien Environment Conservation adviser Panadda Tassiri said apart from flooding, coastal erosion had also eaten away 3,000 rai of land in Bangkok's Bang Khun Thien district.

Supachai Tantikhom, an adviser to Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paibatra, explained that Bangkok had carried out many long-term projects to solve flood problems such as the improvement of drainage systems.

"The government has also taken tough measures against private entrepreneurs who have illegally dug down and drawn up artesian water," he said.

Drawing up artesian water is widely blamed for causing serious land subsidence in Bangkok.

Smith, who predicted The tsunami before it occurred, faced many questions about the possibility of a new round of tidal waves yesterday after a famous fortune-teller said a disaster would hit the southern part of Thailand before the end of this year.

"I am not in a position to comment as the government will not listen to me anyway," he said.

But he said the early-warning system should be improved so it is fully effective and may reduce damage and casualties if a disaster occurs.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-06

Smith says Bangkok should learn from China, how to prevent floods, funny ... I thought they had plenty of serious-floods up there this year ? :(

And building a new airport on the low-lying coast causes floodwater to rise 50-100cm elsewhere ? ! :blink:

Suvarnabhumi Airport was built on swamp land. It was 'firmed up' by a vacuum consolidation process that draws water out of the swamp, thereby allowing the soil particles to draw closer together. By superimposing another couple of metres of fill during this process the ground consolidates further, until it is compact enough that the water cannot get back in (in the same volume), thus in effect stopping off a water-collection area. However, I cannot see that this would affect Bangkok, as there are many more suitable catchments closer to the city.

Drawing up artesian water can cause subsidence. It is much the same process as outlined above, without the surcharge.

Going to Ha Noi for advice about controlling flooding is not clever. Every year there, in the centre of town, I see people wheeling their motorbikes through waist-deep water. Some try to ride, but for some strange reason the electrics don't work well, and the holes in the roads cannot be seen.

Another Thai 'engineering' discussion with no substance, no research and no understanding of the subject. No wonder I went bankrupt when I employed Thai engineers. Doing much better with Vietnamese. May not be up to Western standards, but they are very willing to listen and learn.

A long time ago I completed journalism studies in the UK. During the NCTJ course the tutor held up copies of the Nation and the Bangkok Post and pointed to stories in these papers as examples of how not to write news stories. I can see that despite all these years the Nation has not improved. I'm afraid stories such as the one above are a sad indictment of Thai journalism. Do qualified subeditors come anywhere near such drivel?

Cobra Swamp was a natural catchment basin for annual flood waters diverted from Bangkok. Now that it has been raised and paved over, it is no longer available as an area for flood water drainage. The water that used to be absorbed by the swamp now sits in the streets of the nearby suburbs.

I used to work on Pattanagan Street. One day we were warned to move anything valuable upstairs. There was heavy rain coming & the city could either divert the water to Suvarnabhumi or to our neighborhood. Naturally, we got the flooding, not the airport!

Yes, the area the airport was built on would have at one time help soak up water during the wet season and thereby help in preventing floods in more central parts of Bangkok. The shame is the BMA and the irrigation department could do so much more if their bureaucratic control was reduced. On our moo bahn not that far away from the new airport expensive pumps and a control room were built last year. They allow water on three very deep lakes in the moo bahn to be pumped into the klong system. I guess the idea was to lower the level of the lakes before flooding was likely and then allow water from the klong back in through the sluice gates so the lakes act as a sponge when needed. So far neither has happened so I guess making no decision is safer than putting oneself in the firing line.

If papers in Thailand had to properly cite their material and provide details to substantiate facts, 90% of the news would dissipate.

Thailand journalism is based on vivid imaginations. Actually, the longer I live here, I think 90% of the people live their lives based on vivid imaginations!

Is it April 1st already? What is the cause?

you'd better not question things - some high callibres at work again:

"...a famous fortune-teller said a disaster would hit the southern part of Thailand before the end of this year...."

A long time ago I completed journalism studies in the UK. During the NCTJ course the tutor held up copies of the Nation and the Bangkok Post and pointed to stories in these papers as examples of how not to write news stories. I can see that despite all these years the Nation has not improved. I'm afraid stories such as the one above are a sad indictment of Thai journalism. Do qualified subeditors come anywhere near such drivel?

EXACTAMUNDO..!!

The Bangkok World was a much better paper, but without idiocy and sensationalism, didn't sell well...LOL

To control flood water, more dams have to be built.

The canals - Bangkok had a serious resource in its canals. People have put a lot of effort into covering them over, blocking them with development and generally using them as a sewer system. Maybe it's time do restore the canals. Also it will look nice for tourists. Bonus....

The flooding of Bangkok cannot be rectified by dams unfortunately. Bangkok is at zero sea level thus water cannot drain. The full moon high tides also affect the runoff and thus Bangkok floods. Its substructure is mud and Bangkok has been built on river flats but this acts as a buffer to earthquakes despite hassles in construction of foundations.

The increased weight of buildings on the river delta and surrounding flats also pushes and compacts the substrata thus again, forcing run off into areas where water is simply held and does not flow. This is nothing whatsoever to do with global warming and certainly nothing to do with Suvarnabhumi airport or its affect on water overall.

Notwithstanding that, if there were ever a reason for town planning to be instigated and policed, now would be a good time. Bangkok has evolved brick on brick and payoffs to town planners and building inspectors. No-one cares!

But let's not give environmentalists free press or waste public monies defending false claims based on hype and el toro poo poo. dry.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Suvarnabhumi Airport was built on swamp land. It was 'firmed up' by a vacuum consolidation process that draws water out of the swamp, thereby allowing the soil particles to draw closer together. By superimposing another couple of metres of fill during this process the ground consolidates further, until it is compact enough that the water cannot get back in (in the same volume), thus in effect stopping off a water-collection area. However, I cannot see that this would affect Bangkok, as there are many more suitable catchments closer to the city.

Drawing up artesian water can cause subsidence. It is much the same process as outlined above, without the surcharge.

Going to Ha Noi for advice about controlling flooding is not clever. Every year there, in the centre of town, I see people wheeling their motorbikes through waist-deep water. Some try to ride, but for some strange reason the electrics don't work well, and the holes in the roads cannot be seen.

Another Thai 'engineering' discussion with no substance, no research and no understanding of the subject. No wonder I went bankrupt when I employed Thai engineers. Doing much better with Vietnamese. May not be up to Western standards, but they are very willing to listen and learn.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and honest opinion to the Thai Visa members. Bangkok is sinking every year no matter what? The Thai government needs to do more for preventing...flooding in Bangkok every year is not normal and the attitude I can't do is not acceptable either. My take and opinion.

Edited by ryladie99

You fill in the old canal/drainage system without facilities to handle normal/additional runoff, pump vast volumes of water from the underground reservoirs, pave the surface areas, build a couple million additional houses/factories, do not build protection/diversion dikes, add relative few high volume pumps for lifting rain/runoff out of the man made basin. etc. Add a monsoon season each year plus a flooded river or two and what do you expect? Some countries/people recognized problems like this centuries ago and took precautions, some successful and some unsuccessful, but they did something other than talk and form multiple committees who seem to lack the expertise to form a real plan.

You fill in the old canal/drainage system without facilities to handle normal/additional runoff, pump vast volumes of water from the underground reservoirs, pave the surface areas, build a couple million additional houses/factories, do not build protection/diversion dikes, add relative few high volume pumps for lifting rain/runoff out of the man made basin. etc. Add a monsoon season each year plus a flooded river or two and what do you expect? Some countries/people recognized problems like this centuries ago and took precautions, some successful and some unsuccessful, but they did something other than talk and form multiple committees who seem to lack the expertise to form a real plan.

There is plenty of drainage around the airport ... otherwise it would be flooding all the time. It is in a swamp afterall.

To prevent flooding you pump away water. Now the 64k question: where does the water go ? Send in your answers.

PS only those living in the outskirts of Bangkok and with more than a foot of water in their living room are eligible.

I am talking Bangkok flooding, what contribution the airport contributes to this, is unknown to me. If runoff is diverted away from drainage into Bangkok, then that would suggest good planning and foresight. On the other hand if as some suggest the run off from the airport contributes to Bangkok flooding, they should be able to give real numbers to substantiate these claims. My limited experience of flooding in Bangkok is only over the past 25 years and if progress has been made, it appears to be too little, if the so called experts are to be believed.

Yeah, everybody knows that Bangkok never ever flooded before the airport was built. :whistling:

Of course BKK flooded before the airport was built. The airport is just another factor in the predicted increasing of flooding. The other factors are the uncontrolled development of the whole region, the over pumping of the local groundwater and the filling/covering of the klongs. If global warming/sea level raise actually happens, it will make the situation worse, but even if it doesn't, we do have a real, measurable problem.

The reporters clearly don't know what they are writing about, but Dr. Smith is a well-respected and knowledgeable scientist. The crap BP and Nation reporters may have mangled and mistranslated his words, but his original message was undoubtedly clear and accurate.

Dams? A dam will stop natural water flow, and the area before the dam will be flooded. Which area/district would you flood with your dam?

The new airport can be considered acting like a large dam too...:lol:

Edited by trogers