Influx Of Amputees On Chewang Beach Road

Just drove the whole street of chewang beach and it seems they have been

strategically placed along the whole street. They crawl in front of

people walking along the foot path begging for money.

Someone is obviously dropping them off and orgainizing it, as the one infront

of Bangkok bank has no arms or legs.

Should this be reported to TAT, the police, the mayor??

Edited by Noodles

:bah: Sounds as if the OP has something against amputees.

Not really, just Samui tourism is dead already, and you would think

that the authorities would be doing their best to clean the chewang sh*t

hole up. There was nothing picturesque about driving through chewang beach road

today.

its orginaised mafia, i feel sorry for the people begging as they dont even recieve the money !

A friend in BKK told me that was the case a few years ago, with people begging there... have cute little baby or something, (once I saw cute little puppies...10 baht or something to take photo) ...

But the person begging gets nothing... The so called mafia gets it.... :realangry: sad indeed....

Remember seeing the same sort of thing in Rome, so it's not just Thailand....

It's the beggar mafia. Going back about 16-18 years ago, me and the missus went to Pattaya. There we was sitting somewhere down there near walking street and here comes this beggar dude that we would see on Soi Cowboy. He was on crutches, guess he needed a break from beggin' in BKK so they gave him a break in Pattaya.

Out here in the 'burbs of BKK, on different days at our local market, the same amputee beggars are brought back regularly.

Are these amputee beggars included in the official tourist arrivals numbers for the island?

Nah - the ones in Bangkok are normally shipped in illegally from Cambodia by truck. ;)

I wonder where these guys are from? They certainly won't have flown Bangkok Airways

Edited by Tropicalevo

Are you guys so stingy or cheap charlie you can't afford to put 20bt in there hand, do you think they are happy with no hand's or feet or do you think they live on welfare. Yes can send them back where ever but they still have to live can't sweep them under the carpet.

Are you guys so stingy or cheap charlie you can't afford to put 20bt in there hand, do you think they are happy with no hand's or feet or do you think they live on welfare. Yes can send them back where ever but they still have to live can't sweep them under the carpet.

The problem is that the beggars do not get to keep the money. It is collected from them at the end of the day. It's not a case of being stingy and not giving, but more a case of why should I give 20 baht to the guy who is breaking the law and exploiting them.

As a previous poster suggested, if you want to give the beggars something, give them food and water.

Edited by Tropicalevo

Try reading the previous posts John!!!!

HL :D

Watch the new Toyota trucks picking them up at 4am.... Yeah the beggars obviously get basic survival money/food out of it, but they certainly dont get to keep it, it goes to scum who wants to get latest Toyota mods etc... Dont take it out on the beggar though, like someone said a bottle of water or an issan sausage probably goes further.

Charity/begging in Samui is probably more organized than it is in Cambodia (think each lucky beggar has a pitch and turf is thought like drug wars). The connect four kids and girls selling beads at 2am (all same family i belive) should be avoided to, nice new motorbikes and trucks, frequently see the family at the BBQ near bangkok hospital.

Giving money in both cases is probably the worst thing you can do.

Are these amputee beggars included in the official tourist arrivals numbers for the island?

Nah - the ones in Bangkok are normally shipped in illegally from Cambodia by truck. ;)

I wonder where these guys are from? They certainly won't have flown Bangkok Airways

They all fly Bangkok Airways. The fare costs an arm and a leg!:lol:

It's the beggar mafia. Going back about 16-18 years ago, me and the missus went to Pattaya. There we was sitting somewhere down there near walking street and here comes this beggar dude that we would see on Soi Cowboy. He was on crutches, guess he needed a break from beggin' in BKK so they gave him a break in Pattaya.

Out here in the 'burbs of BKK, on different days at our local market, the same amputee beggars are brought back regularly.

Not more Mafia delusions. :blink:

We have jet ski Mafia, taxi Mafia airport tout Mafia, long tail Mafia, speedboat Mafia, bar Mafia, pool table Mafia etc etc etc. now its the begging Mafia. The list is endless it seems. We seem to think we have more Mafia on Samui than the whole of Italy. :)

Good job none of them can swim or dive :thumbsup:

some very stupid comments meanwhile.(flying BKK Air, tourist numbers..)

Maybe the posters which are joking about the poor people should take a knife and cut off some of their fingers,

if they think its a funny life without hands or legs etc....

My father lost his leg in WW2, so I know what i am talking about.

:lol::lol::lol:

some very stupid comments meanwhile.(flying BKK Air, tourist numbers..)

Maybe the posters which are joking about the poor people should take a knife and cut off some of their fingers,

if they think its a funny life without hands or legs etc....

My father lost his leg in WW2, so I know what i am talking about.

Chill. Humour is whats gets us through life. My grandfather was killed in WW2 so i make jokes about the Germans. If I was going to make a joke about your post, I'd say "I hope your father remembers where he left his leg. "

on the increase however, and the blind people with those annoying ghettoblasters on their back "singing" tunes that makes the butter in the fridge melt and the milk go off..kids on the beach (ark bar) are a nuisance too - "controlled" by elder females..but then live and let live, who cares, I give every once in a while 20 Baht to those I think they need/deserve it, doesn't hurt.. don't believe the "mafia crap" they might be organized in one way or the other, but "mafia"..?

Wonder why they don't gather at the local temples, most of them seem to be doing more then "alright", just check out "Big Buddha" or the one with the multi armed "buddha" thing, the golden mount above Q-Bar..they are just brimming with money, spending it all for concrete or ever heard of monks running construction companies beside their heavenly appointments?

ah' well...

Edited by Samuian

:lol::lol::lol:

i dont think anyone is joking here, but these people are expolited due to there disfigurement ! , i also noted once in bangkok i used to pass the same begger every day, one day i passed him to see bandages all over his over hand, basically someone had cut off his fingers !!!! ..........

"Chill. Humour is whats gets us through life. My grandfather was killed in WW2 so i make jokes about the Germans. If I was going to make a joke about your post, I'd say "I hope your father remembers where he left his leg. "

I actually spat my sandwich at the screen reading that. :P

Is it myth that some of these beggars are run by characters of highly questionable morality who may have even stooped as low as 'creating' some of the deformities in order to gain more revenue from the 'begging environment' ?

If no one was to give any money, there would not be any business in it. So one argument suggests that by not giving money eventually these beggars may be better off or future generations will be spared. However, as there is no social welfare system in Thailand, without begging these poor people may have nothing and no options. The Devils Advocate in me suggest that these characters who are 'running' the beggars are perhaps in some way or form offering an organized method in which they can fend for themselves.

I do give money, not all the time but if I'm to be honest, its usually to ease the guilt trip a little.

Doesnt the temple provide sanctuary for people that have fell through the net (i.e. no family to support them)? Id say a donation (or dropping food off with the monks) probably benefits them more.

So one argument suggests that by not giving money eventually these beggars may be better off or future generations will be spared.

I'd say if you avoid the chaweng beggars that have been placed there by organized families/gangs then they wouldnt be exploited, as to who supports them I guessing temples, point being that this cant be the only way for their survival?

Edited by mattcodes

So as well as Mafia controlled beggars we now have ex WW2 soldiers with only one leg muscling in on the action. Lets see what the big beggar Mafia is going to do about this

It also brings a new meaning to the phrase " arms for the poor " doesn't it

When I lived in India, many years ago and got to know the locals, I was reliably informed that parents would main and disfigure their children to get more money begging. How terrible and sad. But the poverty in Thailand is much less severe than India so I doubt they do the same here. I hope!