Ko Chang

Deserted

Hi guys, it's been 9 years since I last went to Ko Chang. Has it changed much in recent years? I found it a little quiet last time but basically okay. I've got 5 days off soon and was thinking of going somewhere near BKK.

Does anyone know if there are snorkelling opportunities on the islands surrounding it.

Thanks

My first trip there was in 2002. I loved it. Went back this past summer and not sure I will return. It's a mess, IMHO. Building everywhere, encroachment on roads, lots more traffic, beaches blocked by hotels. Crazy. But this is progress! :blink:

But, if you want more excitement and things to do, then it might just fit your bill????

My first trip there was in 2002. I loved it. Went back this past summer and not sure I will return. It's a mess, IMHO. Building everywhere, encroachment on roads, lots more traffic, beaches blocked by hotels. Crazy. But this is progress! :blink:

But, if you want more excitement and things to do, then it might just fit your bill????

Koh Chang I believe is a great island but definitely check out iamkohchang.com. The chap who runs this website also runs a small guesthouse on a beautiful estuary. His name is Ian and he's converted an old fishermans house into a lovely relatively cheap guesthouse with stunning views. His website is informative and funny and the part of the island where the guesthouse is, is pretty quiet and chilled. I would go back there in a shot for pure peace, quiet and tranquillity.

Koh Chang I believe is a great island but definitely check out iamkohchang.com. The chap who runs this website also runs a small guesthouse on a beautiful estuary. His name is Ian and he's converted an old fishermans house into a lovely relatively cheap guesthouse with stunning views. His website is informative and funny and the part of the island where the guesthouse is, is pretty quiet and chilled. I would go back there in a shot for pure peace, quiet and tranquillity.

Thanks guys. Input is definitely appreciated. I'll look at the website but its really personal accounts that I'm interested. I'm a little concerned that the development has spoiled the island too much. A friend of mine claims I wouldn't recognize it but doesn't go into detail.

There is no replacement for seeing the place yourself. Is it worth checking out? I would definately recommend to have a look for yourself.

The landscape is very special, with a couple of great beaches and an interesting mountain backdrop. You can find both tranquility and entertainment.

Parts of it have been developed, but even those parts are developed without committing some of the big construction sins that characterize many of the more famous beach places in Thailand.

Personally, I have been on KC dozens of times over the past few years (can't even count) and every time there is a sad feeling having to leave when entering the ferry heading back to the city.

Re: Snorkeling

You can book snorkeling at every hotel and every little shop on Koh Chang. Although there are also some good snorkeling sites at the very North of Koh Chang (around Koh Chang Noi), the snorkeling boats will most likely take you to one of the smaller islands of the archipelago South of Koh Chang (like 30 minutes by boat). These are not the Similan islands, but considering to be only a car ride away from Bangkok, it will give you quite nice snorkeling or even Scuba experiences.

OK an update

We are there now, it's cool and breezy..lovely change from Bangkok! The unfortunate thing is that the island has suffered some storms, quite a lot of damage to the roads etc. It's very green!!

The sea is not beautifully clear like it should be due to the storms..who knows when it will clear..also a few jelly fish!!. Maybe you could phone one of the dive schools to get an update.

We have stayed at both ends of the island Dusit Princess and now the Aiyapura. It's quite a drive to the far end! Definitely like it here and will come back and probably stay again at the Aiyapura. For us this end of the island is preferable. We had a meal at the Siam Beach Resort..you might like that..nice beach, but 2/3rds down the island. Also we had a meal at Paddys Palms Irish Pub and they have accommodation, sports Live TV etc.

We drove down, easy..the ferry cost 120Baht each return ...including the car. We used the ferry from Center Point, bit old and slow but clearly it didn't sink.

Definitely a nice island and prefer it to Koh Lanta. We leave tomorrow so if want any more info...ask quick!!