Tourism

DonaldBattles

Lots of money is spent advertising lots of destinations in Thailand. CR is pretty low on the list of priorities because other sites have a lot more to offer and therefore, a better chance of attracting the travelers. They are looking at "bang for the baht". CR is a great attraction for the Thai tourists from the south and it doesn't need much advertisement geared towards those individuals. Thai folks in the south already know what CR has to offer them, which is cool weather, more than anything else. Not so much to offer the foreigners compared with other areas.

CM specifically has LOTS more hotel rooms available, as well as restaurants, tuk-tuks, taxis and the rest of the support network required for foreign tourists. It doesn't take a whole lot going on in CR to completely fill the hotels for a weekend here. In recent times, I have tried to secure a room for travelers here only to find that the only rooms left are the low end backpacker rooms and the very high priced (3,000 baht) luxury rooms. At those times, I have been told, "Come back next week. We're will have lots of empty rooms then."

Also, the advertising is geared towards filling the "licensed" hotels, who pay into the tourism bureau. The unlicensed ones aren't a concern because they are operating under the tax radar. Soon, according to the news, we will be seeing a crackdown on those unlicensed establishments. CM and the larger areas have lots more licensed hotels.

Edited by kandahar

Hey.!

Yes,KD you are right-thats all the reasons-but it is al around-the same-not very much attention, to the northern part of Thailand.

Thats why I made that page on Facebook.dk-Chiang Rai-Thailand.!

I do alot to promote the city and the area on Facebook-to friends in Denmark, and every one,who is on facebook, and looking-and thats alot-but if you take a look on facebook-there is a new group allmost for every city and area in Thailand.

The good thing about it is-that we all know each other and are pretty good,to put things to each others sites,when there are something of interrest-so it is not all bad, on facebook.

I have tryed to put things on my page,which I think can be usefull,for people who thinking of going up here and for residents of CR-a litle from resorts and a few buisness advertisment and alot about historie of CR and university-whats going on around here,I tryed to inform people about the opportunities in the area.

Hey.!

Yes,KD you are right-thats all the reasons-but it is al around-the same-not very much attention, to the northern part of Thailand.

Thats why I made that page on Facebook.dk-Chiang Rai-Thailand.!

I do alot to promote the city and the area on Facebook-to friends in Denmark, and every one,who is on facebook, and looking-and thats alot-but if you take a look on facebook-there is a new group allmost for every city and area in Thailand.

The good thing about it is-that we all know each other and are pretty good,to put things to each others sites,when there are something of interrest-so it is not all bad, on facebook.

I have tryed to put things on my page,which I think can be usefull,for people who thinking of going up here and for residents of CR-a litle from resorts and a few buisness advertisment and alot about historie of CR and university-whats going on around here,I tryed to inform people about the opportunities in the area.

I agree, very little information is around even when you get here. it is frustrating to find out about events you would have liked to attend after they've happened. Just the provision of a small number of permanent notice boards for posting information about forthcoming events would be useful.. beside the old jail square on the walking market street, outside (or inside) the main tourist information office, by the new clock tower etc. They could be put up by the tourist office, and anyone who wants to advertise would hand in their flyers/ information to them for posting up.

I certainly don't have an answer but I'm more curious about the reason for the question.

The OP has a restaurant that serves great food. Unfortunately it is far from the center of town and no matter how many tourists CR attracts, none of them will wind up there. I'd love to see the OP's restaurant do well and visit every chance I get, but without private transportation it's nearly impossible to get to. I realize that rents in town are substantially higher, but so is foot traffic.

Does the OP think that more tourists will mean more business for his restaurant?

• 4 weeks later...

Why not? (Become a traveller again?)

For a while now I've had an itch to make my way to Beijing and get the train west to Central Asia, see the Silk Road etc.

Who knows, maybe next year.

What shall we tell you? Tales, marvellous tales

Of ships and stars and isles where good men rest,

Where nevermore the rose of sunset pales,

And winds and shadows fall towards the West:

The Golden Journey To Samarkand

James Elroy Flecker

Just got too much going on right now. These are things I have to accomplish before I can consider a lengthy trip. Keep me in mind next year for the train trip, though. I might be available to come along and make sure you behave.

It seems as if Tourism traffic is confined only to the farang type of tourist. Chiang Rai is a very popular tourist destination for THAI tourists. Several bus-loads of Thai tourists arrive at Chiang Rai but somehow are able to slip under your radar. Unfortunately for the OP, Thai tourists will probably not be going to Doi Hang for farang food. BTW, why not open an outlet nearer town?

There is quite a lot of information about Chiang Rai on the web. Type "Thailand" into a search engine and you will find hundreds of websites that list all Thailand's prominent destinations. Google gives 2,100,000 results for the search.

In the early 90's, CR underwent a tourism boom. Jetyod Road had numerous bars, lady bars, go-go bars and all that goes with them. So, quite naturally, they got greedy. Hotel rooms were hard to find and rates were high.

One night when I was feeling lazy, I was once quoted Bt 100 for a samlor ride from the Wiang Inn to the Suknirand (sp?).

Look at what little there is for a tourist to actually do in Chiang Rai. It's a pretty short list. What is a tourist's motivation to visit .. to eat mediocre hamburgers and ribs?

Another reason that CR does not get more visual tourism is because of groups that end up at the outlying resorts and spend their evenings there as well .. rather than strolling around town.

With the internet as it is today, virtually any size shop can have/share a web presence. So what's so wrong with businesses doing their own promoting rather than reliance on the government?

There is quite a lot of information about Chiang Rai on the web. Type "Thailand" into a search engine and you will find hundreds of websites that list all Thailand's prominent destinations. Google gives 2,100,000 results for the search.

In the early 90's, CR underwent a tourism boom. Jetyod Road had numerous bars, lady bars, go-go bars and all that goes with them. So, quite naturally, they got greedy. Hotel rooms were hard to find and rates were high.

One night when I was feeling lazy, I was once quoted Bt 100 for a samlor ride from the Wiang Inn to the Suknirand (sp?).

Look at what little there is for a tourist to actually do in Chiang Rai. It's a pretty short list. What is a tourist's motivation to visit .. to eat mediocre hamburgers and ribs?

Another reason that CR does not get more visual tourism is because of groups that end up at the outlying resorts and spend their evenings there as well .. rather than strolling around town.

With the internet as it is today, virtually any size shop can have/share a web presence. So what's so wrong with businesses doing their own promoting rather than reliance on the government?

Yes, you are right about the info on the web-but then you have to know about Chiang Rai to google it-alot of people around the world,I quess,dont know about it, and then when it is not listed, in eny tourist info-how can you then know about the City.?

Thats one of the reasons, for my page on facebook-to let people know about the city.

I agee a long way whit you,about the promoting-but then again-if Thailand want tourists, and the income it gives-then they also have to pay theire share of the party.

I'm not sure I'd want a travelling companion who disapproves of a little misbehaviour... :lol:

I didn't say I didn't approve of a little misbehavior. But there may not be room for two misbehavers, so it is better if you behave for both of us and just let me have my fun.