Nationwide Fees For Over The Counter Transactions Using A Flexaccount Card Abroad.

The Nationwide B S will be charging fees to use their ATM cards abroad from next month.

I have been over the last few months have been using my FlexAccount card to withdraw baht by going to a bank and physically handing the card over the counter to withdraw funds instead of using an ATM.

As of writing no extra fees have shown up in my account.

I wrote to the Nationwide asking if fees would be incurred from November if I continued using 'over the counter' withdrawals.

This is their reply:

"The service you are referring to is available for emergencies only.  The limit you can withdraw has to be within the daily limit and there are no charges to you for withdrawing the funds.

Please be aware that if you do use this service for anything but emergencies we may need to start charging and the costs could be higher than the charges of withdrawing funds from an ATM."

I no longer use my Nationwide card as I find it cheaper and more convenient to transfer online with Halifax Bank.

I used to use the 'over counter' method to avoid the 150 baht charge. Nationwide still passed on the VISA transaction charge. I am certain that Nationwide will want to attach the new charge to these withdrawals. Two comments:-

1, Their response is nonsense. They do not 'track' these 'emergency withdrawals' and whilst THEY may consider them to be 'emergency' it is at the behest of the local bank that the withdrawal is allowed (and on what terms).

2. Electronic withdrawals are easy to charge because they are 'automatic' - I would have thought that if counter withdrawals are transacted with the hand-held PIN machines then the transaction could easily be identified. My last but one withdrawal was with an old 'swipe' machine -less likely to be picked up.

I have used this method for years to withdraw 100000 baht at a time there was never a charge ,this is now 1% so still as cheep as swift ,from nov the charges will be to high so will start using another bank, there has never been a problem about it being an "emergancy" however the do add the 150 baht i had this confirmed by e mail.

I have used this method for years to withdraw 100000 baht at a time there was never a charge ,this is now 1% so still as cheep as swift ,from nov the charges will be to high so will start using another bank, there has never been a problem about it being an "emergancy" however the do add the 150 baht i had this confirmed by e mail.

The 150 is levied by the Thai cashing bank.

My bank always seemed to forget :)

I use this system you describe, twice a month evry month, I have taken out more than am allowed from the ATM with no problems, The Thai bank ayudyah told me there was no charge, just bring your card and passport. This month I have taken out 20,000bts in one go which is over 400 pounds. Nationwide were not helpful when I said Iwanted a larger amount, the money is there, just continue to tell me the daily limit! Go in and do it.

I use this system you describe, twice a month evry month, I have taken out more than am allowed from the ATM with no problems, The Thai bank ayudyah told me there was no charge, just bring your card and passport. This month I have taken out 20,000bts in one go which is over 400 pounds. Nationwide were not helpful when I said Iwanted a larger amount, the money is there, just continue to tell me the daily limit! Go in and do it.

nong, can I ask what charges were applied by Nationwide in respect of passing on VISA costs/their own charges ?

I use this system you describe, twice a month evry month, I have taken out more than am allowed from the ATM with no problems, The Thai bank ayudyah told me there was no charge, just bring your card and passport. This month I have taken out 20,000bts in one go which is over 400 pounds. Nationwide were not helpful when I said I wanted a larger amount, the money is there, just continue to tell me the daily limit! Go in and do it.

nong, can I ask what charges were applied by Nationwide in respect of passing on VISA costs/their own charges ?

So i have a nationwide flex account and I can go to any Bank of Ayudhya with my passport and card and they will allow thai currency withdrawl with NO CHARGE by Nationwide? I know Ayudhya dont charge using their ATMs ,Do they process the transaction using the PIN number?

I can remember last year in Laos Vientianne going to this bank there and they let me withdraw Laos KIp this way, but they processed using an electronic PIn machine I had to enter my number

Edited by KKvampire

I use this system you describe, twice a month evry month, I have taken out more than am allowed from the ATM with no problems, The Thai bank ayudyah told me there was no charge, just bring your card and passport. This month I have taken out 20,000bts in one go which is over 400 pounds. Nationwide were not helpful when I said I wanted a larger amount, the money is there, just continue to tell me the daily limit! Go in and do it.

So i have a nationwide flex account and I can go to any Bank of Ayudhya with my passport and card and they will allow thai currency withdrawl with NO CHARGE by Nationwide? I know Ayudhya dont charge using their ATMs ,Do they process the transaction using the PIN number?

I can remember last year in Laos Vientianne going to this bank there and they let me withdraw Laos KIp this way, but they processed using an electronic PIn machine I had to enter my number

Presumably, your Flexaccount has a VISA debit card.

Are you sure Ayudhya does not charge for ATM withdrawals ? This was the irony of Kasikorn - 150 baht charge for ATM withdrawal (no labour) but free for over the counter (now via electronic PIN machine but 6 months ago was 'card swipe' - labour intensive.

The issue now is what VISA/Nationwide charge on the transaction. I believe NW pass on the 1% VISA transaction cost (ATM or in branch) - from November they will also levy their own charge.

Earlier this year there was no charge Ayudhya bank and no charge by nationwide or Visa, I want to know now will there be a charge over the counter use of card? If as another poster says there is not, only if using ATm from November 1st

Presumably, your Flexaccount has a VISA debit card.

Are you sure Ayudhya does not charge for ATM withdrawals ? This was the irony of Kasikorn - 150 baht charge for ATM withdrawal (no labour) but free for over the counter (now via electronic PIN machine but 6 months ago was 'card swipe' - labour intensive.

The issue now is what VISA/Nationwide charge on the transaction. I believe NW pass on the 1% VISA transaction cost (ATM or in branch) - from November they will also levy their own charge.