New "O' Visa Reporting Rule?

The Fang (Chiangmai province) Immigration office, which incidentally was recently downgraded from a full immigration office such that their only function is "O" visa 90 day reporting (ie. no renewals), has introduced a new requirement that both farangs and their spouses have to report their residential situation to them (or the police) and are apparently attempting to impose a fine for those that don't comply.

Attached are scans of their notice and the accompanying form which they are requiring. These details have come via a farang who has lived here for 20 years, who has always complied with the 90 day reporting requirement attaching to his "O" (marriage to a Thai national) visa and whose wife was recently "fined" 2000B for not reporting his presence in her home!

The requirement also includes reporting of farang visitors to them within 24 hours of the visitors' arrival.

What gives here? Has anybody else experienced this?

(The same office recently attempted to make a charge of 1600B for another farang who simply tried to make his 90 day reporting visit. He refused to pay and went to Chiangmai to report (for free of course)).

post-18661-071531800 1286601472_thumb.jp

post-18661-045705500 1286601498_thumb.jp

It is a requirement of the Immigration Act but normally only enforced for public venues (hotels/guest houses). It is the owner of facility (not necessary the wife) who must make the report. With all the new offices for Immigration open now some may be dusting it off so nothing hurt in making a report. The forms have started to appear on official web sites of Immigration. But I suspect most Thai will take a wait and see approach.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager

where the alien

I suspect most Thai would refuse to pay that much and let a judge set the fine. 2,000 baht is the maximum fine that can been made.

If one accepts that the legislation allows them to (even if selectively) require such reporting, certain further questions arise:

1. In the case of a farang residing permanently in his wife's home, is a single reporting of such by her sufficient. If not, how often must this be done? (I'm sorry, I don't have access to a copy of the legislation.)

2. In what form is this reporting acceptable? Does it HAVE to be done on the specific pro-forma? (In my own case it is well documented on my file that I am staying there. Furthermore my wife has always been required to be present at my "O" visa renewal, to supply a copy of her house book, and this year, to even supply a map showing the location of the house. Also in a previous year an immigration officer came and interviewed her neighbours checking my character. In the last week we returned from abroad and supplied full address details on the arrival form, an Immigration Dept document. When 90 day reporting my address is supplied. Could not these be regarded as adequate reporting of my presence in her home?)

3. Given my wife originally reported my living at her premises during the original 12 month "O" visa application process, and this information has been updated every 90 days since (Indeed Immigration Dept has supplied a certificate of residence) is this not adequate knowledge on their behalf of my location?

Google "Thailand immigration act" for full English translation.

It has nothing to do with your reporting.

In this case it appears to be an unjust fine and as I mentioned suspect many Thai would have refused to pay or at least bargained down for such new enforcement of a long dormant law. Normally this is only required of business type accommodations in practice.

As to technicalities there is no answer as this law has not been actively enforced.

I need a TM30 for my new driving licence, for buying a motorcycle and for extension of my ret extension. TM 30 says "notification form for house master, owner or the posessor of the residence where alien has stayed" .

It is simple, they need this thing. I made copies and supply one each year to Nongkhai Immigration.

But they do not ask for it when I do my 90 days thing.

People do not normally need that for such reasons. It has nothing to do with them and if some officer is saying you do need them it is not general policy but likely an option to other proof of residence, such as lease/Embassy letter/yellow book or such.