Kanchanaburi To Suvarnabhumi Airport

MagnumForce

Hi,

I will be visiting Kanchanaburi in a few weeks. I'm taking the train from BKK to Kanchanaburi but I need some advice about my options to get back to Suvarnabhumi on a Friday morning in time for a 12.50pm flight.

I've ruled out the train. What about the buses? How long do they take? I know they go to the Southern Bus Terminal but somebody suggested I get off at the second-last stop as it would be easier to get to the airport by taxi from there. Is this correct?

Also, is a minivan or taxi good value and quick? There will be three of us. Any recommendations for either of these would be very helpful.

Many thanks and I look forward to enjoying my stay in your part of the world.:jap:

MF

Buses are good options in my opinion, have done so on many occasions - not to Kanchanaburi specifically, but I have used for traveling up-country and for return trips to Bangkok.

See if there are non-stop express or vip buses to Bangkok, can find them depending on your location and schedule, but most of the time I end up on the "regular" A/C buses, which most of time are habitable enough for a few hours. Be aware that the regular buses will usually make several stops to pick up and drop off along the way. Pad some extra time - though usually they are pretty good I wouldn't count on them being on-time.

Be aware, the quality of all aspects of the experience varies a lot - sometimes you get a newer vehicle with great A/C and a quiet, easy ride - sometimes you get a vehicle with half-working a/c, a loud dvd playing the whole trip, and a maniac driver - just depends on the day. Even in the worst situations, I have found it "bearable", but most of the time its reasonably comfortable.

I usually use the northern terminal in Mo Chit, so not sure about the second-to-last stop being a better option.

Personally, if it were me, and I really couldn't afford to miss the flight, I would return to Bangkok the previous evening just to be safe.

Hiring a private van/taxi would be a much quicker, easier, and more comfortable option, but also more expensive. I usually pay about 300b/person for bus tickets, whereas a private car or van runs around 3-4000b+ for the same trip (not per-person when you hire this way). So, really depends on what you consider "expensive", and where your comfort tolerance is.

You would be pushing it by bus as I would assume that allowing for check in time you would have to be at the airport well before noon. The bus from Kanchanaburi has to do a U-turn before entering the southern bus terminal. The bus stops before the U turn where taxis congregate on waste ground and allow passengers off. It's easy to get a taxi there, and you are heading the right way for central Bangkok. However, you have to go right accross Bangkok to get to the airport and traffic levels can be unpredicatable. All you need is one accident and then chaos ensues.

As a the previous poster suggested it may be best if using the bus to travel the day before and spend a night in Bangkok.

There are many minibuses on the Bangkok run from Kan and I believe some also go to the airport. Lots of the guest houses and tour operators in Kan make arrangements. My experience of the mini bus drivers are they drive a bit too quick and eratic. I'm not sure of the going rate for a taxi from Kan to the airport, but I would have thought around 3,000. I doubt you would get any driver willing to do it on the metre, and you would have to negotiate a price.

I think your best way of finding out is to chat to some of the expats who have businesses on the 'strip' River Kwai Road. I'm sure somone will be able to advise you the best option.

Thanks so far guys. I found this info. I think if we take the bus from Kanchanaburi at about 6.30am, then we should be ok. Fingers crossed. I'll look into your suggestions though and decide.

http://www.kanchanab...ml#BangkokSouth

Kwai (Why) not leave a day before and stay in Bangkok to catch your

Suvarnabhumi on a Friday morning in time for a 12.50pm flight.

Better safe than :(

Kan Win :wai: