Pattaya Police'S Latest Cash Grab

flyingfox

I'd refuse to pay. What's he gonna do? Shoot you.......I think it's time, Thai included, people need to protest and just simply refuse. Maybe the new/latest newspaper, Pattaya One, can have a section: letters to the Mayor.

Not sure on the law here but if it is law then the guy was in the wrong and should pay the fine as long as it is properly receipted.

As for Pat1 & HM, after the first issues lead article I would no be surprised to see the next issue lead with "Police shake downs, pay up or you will get shoot, its official"ohmy.gifph34r.gifwhistling.gif

I'd refuse to pay. What's he gonna do? Shoot you.......I think it's time, Thai included, people need to protest and just simply refuse. Maybe the new/latest newspaper, Pattaya One, can have a section: letters to the Mayor.

Not sure on the law here but if it is law then the guy was in the wrong and should pay the fine as long as it is properly receipted.

As for Pat1 & HM, after the first issues lead article I would no be surprised to see the next issue lead with "Police shake downs, pay up or you will get shoot, its official"ohmy.gifph34r.gifwhistling.gif

Whatever you do and how good you do it........at some point they will fine you for the lack of oil in your engine or the low pressure in your tires.......can both be very dangerous.

Next time a cop stops you with a load of crap...........react happy and ask him with a big smile, whether you are allowed to take a picture of the offense with the BIB in the keyrole of course.

The problem is, that it's just about the money they will receive on-site.

If you insist on getting a ticket in order to complain at the police station, they might have coded the offense as "not wearing a helmet" or "speeding" or "whatever". Then it's your word against theirs.

Just out of interest, does anyone know where to get of copy of the Thai Penal Code ? and perhaps even a copy of any Traffic Code ?

If we knew the laws ourselves, we could challenge any spurious ticketing as it does seem that few police actually know themselves what the law says specifically.

Please don't offer remarks about these not existing as I know they do.

I've seen the former in Thai and English recently in the hands of a Thai lawyer and should have asked him at the time.

Just out of interest, does anyone know where to get of copy of the Thai Penal Code ? and perhaps even a copy of any Traffic Code ?

If we knew the laws ourselves, we could challenge any spurious ticketing as it does seem that few police actually know themselves what the law says specifically.

You think???:unsure:

I had a friend who was riding her motorbike down Central Road from Sukhumvit and on this particular day (Friday) traffic was being stopped from turning right into 3rd Road and also at the next small soi - same. She carried on a bit further and saw the dotted center lines but no soi, so did a u-turn. Police pulled her over about a block north and told her she

could not do that - as she speaks reasonable Thai she asked him to explain why not. During her conversation with the policeman a Western man stormed up to her and started poking her in the chest and telling her to have respect for the police as they are here to protect us!! He carried on in this manner and then stormed off giving her a last warning about respect. Another western man came over and offered to pay for the ticket!!

Upshot - she got a ticket but got to ride off, went to the police station the next day where she spoke to a "boss" who said yes, we have many complaints yesterday on Central, and took her ticket and cancelled it!

I had a friend who was riding her motorbike down Central Road from Sukhumvit and on this particular day (Friday) traffic was being stopped from turning right into 3rd Road and also at the next small soi - same. She carried on a bit further and saw the dotted center lines but no soi, so did a u-turn. Police pulled her over about a block north and told her she

could not do that - as she speaks reasonable Thai she asked him to explain why not. During her conversation with the policeman a Western man stormed up to her and started poking her in the chest and telling her to have respect for the police as they are here to protect us!! He carried on in this manner and then stormed off giving her a last warning about respect. Another western man came over and offered to pay for the ticket!!

Upshot - she got a ticket but got to ride off, went to the police station the next day where she spoke to a "boss" who said yes, we have many complaints yesterday on Central, and took her ticket and cancelled it!

Good on her, and to the Farang "do gooder"... another <deleted> idoit, i'd love to poke him in the eye.

Bye b4 I really sound off.

Hate thoses pricks

The next new fine will be wearing socks with sandels or flip flops, mind you perhaps thats not a bad thing :whistling:

They fine foreigners for that in the Philippines. I believe it is actually a law that you must wear covered shoes on a motorcycle. They will not let you into Clark base on a motorcycle without shoes.

I'd refuse to pay. What's he gonna do? Shoot you

They'll keep your licence if you present one, until you pay, and if you don't they'll keep your motorcycle keys and impound it.

As much as it would pain me, I'd pay it. There's no other way really.

Life's like that - sometimes you'll get fcuked over in a foreign land.

The next new fine will be wearing socks with sandels or flip flops, mind you perhaps thats not a bad thing :whistling:

They fine foreigners for that in the Philippines. I believe it is actually a law that you must wear covered shoes on a motorcycle. They will not let you into Clark base on a motorcycle without shoes.

I was driving through Khon Kaen city many years ago and the police where pulling motorbikes over.

I noticed the BIB pointing at riders feet so i asked the misses what was going on and she told me the police where booking them for wearing inappropriate footwear.

That’s the one and only time I’ve known it happen.

I've seen the former in Thai and English recently in the hands of a Thai lawyer and should have asked him at the time.

Have a look through this lot and see if you can find what your looking for.

ThaiLaws.com

http://www.thailaws.com/body_english_acts.htm

It covers hundreds of the Thai law ACTS all in English.

Each law can be downloaded in PDF format.

You might find it useful for any legal problems or just as a reference.

ThaiLaws.com

http://www.thailaws....nglish_acts.htm

Thank you.

If you have a problem with the traffic police, you can tell the officer that you are going to the traffic police office in front of the police station to speak to the supervising officer on duty. The officer will probably have a change of heart if he is pulling any fast stuff.

Barry

ThaiLaws.com

http://www.thailaws....nglish_acts.htm

Thank you.

There are lots of LAWS in Thailand.

Unfortunately, Thais are NOT LAW obeying people.

Additionally, people (Police) that MUST make sure the laws of Thailand are adhered to do not know Thai Laws themselves or are none-existing in the Thai Gov. i.e. building inspectors.

The other day one of the maintenance technicians comes to my house and put his power tester in one of the electric wall sockets.

When my house was build I made sure it is International Standards 3-wire in conduit electric with universal wall sockets.

I asked him what he was up to. He said, “There is a new law that all buildings must be wired to international standards.”

I told him that is not a new law that law was in Thailand years ago when I was teaching Power Generating in Thailand. But Thailand has no inspectors to check the wiring in a building after it is installed and sign off the inspection report.