Cathay Pacific Said To Replace Economy Seats Amid Complaints

LaoPo

Cathay Pacific Said to Replace Economy Seats Amid Complaints

By Wing-Gar Cheng and Wendy Leung - Oct 11, 2010

Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd., Hong Kong's biggest carrier, will replace economy-class seats in long-haul planes after passengers complained about discomfort, according to three people familiar with the plan.

The existing coach seats, which have fixed-backs to prevent passengers from disturbing the person behind them when reclining, will be refitted and moved to short-haul and regional aircraft, said the people who declined to be identified before an announcement. The seats were in 41 Cathay planes at the end of last year. Older aircraft were refitted with the units in a program that ran from 2007 to November, 2009.

"There's been a lot of criticism of the seats," said Shaun Rein, managing director of Shanghai-based China Market Research Group, which does consumer surveys for airlines and other clients. "It seems that Cathay is listening."

Continues:

http://www.bloomberg...complaints.html

LaoPo

Finally!!! The existing fixed-back seats are awful, it is the most uncomfortable seat I've ever tried! After a long haul trip, you need few days to recover your back and neck pain as the sleeping position is horrible.

Well done for Cathay Pacific, the best airline in the world.

Finally!!! The existing fixed-back seats are awful, it is the most uncomfortable seat I've ever tried! After a long haul trip, you need few days to recover your back and neck pain as the sleeping position is horrible.

Well done for Cathay Pacific, the best airline in the world....

which has the impertinence to install three seats in the business class middle row. ah sez... one shitty² airline!

:bah:

which has the impertinence to install three seats in the business class middle row. ah sez... one shitty² airline!

:o..they do now ? I haven't used them for a long time but thanks for the tip!

LaoPo

Delta airlines is the same! I did a trip from Nigeria to Atlanta with them last month and it was horrible, the seats reclined all of about 2 inches, and the service was the **its as well. Thank god it was a one time thing as I will never fly them again.

If they were the "best airline in the world" they would not have fitted fixed-back seats in the first place :whistling:

If they were the "best airline in the world" they would not have fitted fixed-back seats in the first place :whistling:

For 2010 Cathay comes 4th and Asiana Airlines on the 1st place and Thai Airways on 9th:

The top 10 places in the 2010 Airline of the Year :

1. Asiana Airlines

2. Singapore Airlines

3. Qatar Airways

4. Cathay Pacific

5. Air New Zealand

6. Etihad Airways

7. Qantas Airways

8. Emirates

9. Thai Airways

10. Malaysia Airlines

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/main/2010Awards.htm

LaoPo

The main problem with those shell seats is that they were designed for diminutive people. Anyone over 1.80 meters will crash into the back of the seat in front with their knees when attempting to 'recline'. Those seats even look uncomfortable before you actually go and sit down in them.

But I would never call it a world class airline by any means. Look at business class with that herringbone layout. Do you like looking out the window during a flight? If so, don't fly business class unless you prepared to crane your neck round 180 degrees.

Even first class has the seats slanted with your head towards the aisle. Complete marketing disaster if you ask me.

post-101376-050338100 1286908081_thumb.j

The main problem with those shell seats is that they were designed for diminutive people. Anyone over 1.80 meters will crash into the back of the seat in front with their knees when attempting to 'recline'. Those seats even look uncomfortable before you actually go and sit down in them.

But I would never call it a world class airline by any means. Look at business class with that herringbone layout. Do you like looking out the window during a flight? If so, don't fly business class unless you prepared to crane your neck round 180 degrees.

Even first class has the seats slanted with your head towards the aisle. Complete marketing disaster if you ask me.

[/quote

The new business layout is used during mid-long haul and IMHO I do not pay for a business class ticket to look out from the window but for the service and seat comfort.

The only problem with these new business seats is that they are very narrow. The side walls and herringbone arrangement are good as they give you privacy although as I already said it is too narrow and some people may feel claustrophobic. The seats are fully flat with a decent length (I'm 1.88m). Also there is an adequate amount of personal space surrounding the seat, with room for water bottle, magazines, newspaper.... IFE is better than most, with large and clear screens with a huge content.

For First class, I've always been told by my CEO that it is one of the best First seat out there (even including the Qantas A380 but not the Singapore and Emirates). It is very private without the shut-in feeling of the compartments with doors. Very wide seat and in-seat storage is handy. Big video screen.

Tartempion, yes they did a mistake with the new economy seats but at least they are listening to the customers complain and seems that they will solve the problem......other airlines still fly with no private screen on Economy and claims to be on the top ten for the alrine of the year.

Cheers

I am glad someone has addressed this issue and gotten on the ball to change this. China Airlines has this problem. Flew from SFO to Taipie to Bangkok.

Now, the seats will be in two sizes in economy class. Normal seats and the fast butt seats, which will allow the person with the extra wide figure to be able to drop their seats back right into the person behind them.

That's why there is First Class. Surely, a man of your great wealth would select 1st?

CX isn't the only airline with 3 across configs. Qantas, Singapore Airlines, United, China Airlines, Lufthansa to name a few use it.

It is typical of the B-747, although ANA and UAL use it on the B777.

That is why samrt flyers check out the seat maps at seatguru before purchasing a ticket.

That's why there is First Class. Surely, a man of your great wealth would select 1st?

CX isn't the only airline with 3 across configs. Qantas, Singapore Airlines, United, China Airlines, Lufthansa to name a few use it.

It is typical of the B-747, although ANA and UAL use it on the B777.

That is why samrt flyers check out the seat maps at seatguru before purchasing a ticket.

:blink: Why the baiting and nasty comment ? I don't think Naam attacked you nor anybody else.

Personally I wouldn't like to sit in Business Class in a 3-seat row either. That's why there's economy...

LaoPo

Getting rid of those reclining seats would be the best thing all airlines could do. Nothing worse than getting behind some selfish bastard who reclines that seat into your knee caps 5 minutes after the plane takes off.

:o..they do now ? I haven't used them for a long time but thanks for the tip!

LaoPo

I had the misfortune of flying LHR-BKK via Hong Kong with Cathay last year. The herringbone biz class is a terrible design offering zero privacy and seems to be more suited to the crew than for passengers comfort.

For the 12 hour non stop return leg from Hong Kong we were treated to old style biz class with crappy recline...impossible to sleep...poor quality food and not even a limo service to take me home in London.

Best airline in the world? <deleted>?

Thanks this has made me laugh and laugh and.....:lol:

EDIT: I feel sorry for the poor yanks not having Qatar biz class to take you back and forward. Now we're talking a true contender for best airline.....

Edited by smokie36

The top 10 places in the 2010 Airline of the Year :

1. Asiana Airlines

2. Singapore Airlines

3. Qatar Airways

4. Cathay Pacific

5. Air New Zealand

6. Etihad Airways

7. Qantas Airways

8. Emirates

9. Thai Airways

10. Malaysia Airlines

==================================

RUBBISH - Asiana #1 , that is definitely a Fixed Survey.. Next Suvarnabhumi Airport will be in the Top 100.. :cheesy:

What is Thai Airways doing in there?? But then again , people still eat at McDonalds ?:sick:

I like China Airlines, they went to the Airbus ( mistake ) and have replaced the seats to a more comfortable unit. I suffer bad back , and 2 years ago I could not sit in the Seats , now I can even sleep comfortably in them.

First Class is Excellent , Good Seats, Food and Service. My only concern is the 1ST Class Airbus Area does not have an Espresso Machine like the 747 has.

The way I see it is , to Compare a Boeing 747 to an Airbus , is like comparing a Big Block 67 Camaro to a New LPG Nissan..:boring:

Edited by CMFarang

Getting rid of those reclining seats would be the best thing all airlines could do. Nothing worse than getting behind some selfish bastard who reclines that seat into your knee caps 5 minutes after the plane takes off.

Rather than condemning someone who reclines a seat that is actually designed to recline shouldn't you be slating the airlines which squeeze such seats into too close a configuration?

Rather than condemning someone who reclines a seat that is actually designed to recline shouldn't you be slating the airlines which squeeze such seats into too close a configuration?

I agree; with a reclining seat you can always politely ask the one in front of you to adjust his recline and otherwise (as I do) ask the flight attendant/stewardess.

But the seats put so close to each other that you can hardly move anymore is much worse as with the price fighters like Ryanair or Vueling in Europe where they are now NOT flying anymore but transporting people, like cattle on it's way to the slaughterhouse.

OK, it's cheap but you can't even get rid of a small item you're carrying (like was recently carrying a small bottle of water) since they don't have a "bag" in front of your seat anymore; what to do with it ? :blink:

Gosh beware in case of an emergency if passengers are packed so close to each other......espcecially the ones in the middle and next to a window.

Almost no time to escape......don't even think of handicapped and elderly passengers :(

LaoPo

You're too fast to condemn the airlines. I'm sure you don't want to pay double the cost, so they have to do what they have to do. If you want more real estate to sit in, you unfortunately have to pay more. No, it's simply the selfish a hole that cares little about anyone other than his/her self that leans back with little concern. Pure jerkoffs if you ask me.

^ I agree. I am 6'4" and there's very few economy seat pitches that allow for me to sit comfortably while the short-arse in front of me slams his seat back before we even push back from the gate! I find Thai's seat pitch and seat design quite good but was horribly surprised with the knee bruising I got on a Luftwaffe 747 last month. The seat pitch is the same but the design and curvature of the back of the seat is terrible. I think there should be a limit on how far back the seat back can go and also they should automatically restore to upright when the little tosser leans forward to graze his happy-meal or look out the window.

You're too fast to condemn the airlines. I'm sure you don't want to pay double the cost, so they have to do what they have to do. If you want more real estate to sit in, you unfortunately have to pay more. No, it's simply the selfish a hole that cares little about anyone other than his/her self that leans back with little concern. Pure jerkoffs if you ask me.

Its not only the selfish passenger in front, I get irritated when the one behind grabs my seatback to steady himerlf evey time he leaves or returns to his seat, rather than using the armrests for leverage, which is probably too much like hard work for some. If I detect this is about to happen I press the recline button but leave the seat upright, and the passenger behind finds my seatback isn't as fixed as he thinks it is.

• 1 month later...