Lease/Buy Motorbike

RJfromUSA

Shouldn't be a problem to put a motorcycle in your name if you have any type of non-immigrant visa.

the question really is:

is it possible for a farang on a retirement visa to lease/purchase a motorbike with monthly payments

no, its not. only way to finance a motorbike is if you have a company. Covered in this weeks gazette.

Not true.. I know multiple people who have financed cars and bikes without a company.

I dont know what the gazette said, and its entirely possible some companies might not want to finance at Thai rates. But it can be done.

Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda all said they will not finance to foreigners, unless under company name, just read the article and this thread isn't about cars.

As far as I know the criteria is a Work Permit... I know some people who even financed a house (not land!) using their WP.

Ducati Triumph Kawasaki will...

Yammie, I know someone with an FZ6 and I thought he financed that. I mean at 6xx,xxx I dont think he paid cash.

ok sure, choose the 3 I didnt mention lol. "I thought he financed that" "I dont think he paid cash" well you dont know do you?

Edited by BillR

Well if your talking motorcycles and not scooters.. AP honda dont sell any, the only one they had being the CBR150 is removed from the market, Suzuki might have a gladius but I am unsure as suzi never sorted thier dealer chain out down here and so that only leaves yamaha with the FZ6 and the R1 and FZ1.

What I am saying is, there maybe individual company policies, but finance can be obtained on motorcycles, theres no law or rule against it.

As far as I know the criteria is a Work Permit... I know some people who even financed a house (not land!) using their WP.

Often the way with finance, work permit desired to know your not going to be leaving soon.

Kawasaki made it clear I could get finance without a WP.. Was VERY insistent that it wasnt needed.

Well if your talking motorcycles and not scooters.. AP honda dont sell any, the only one they had being the CBR150 is removed from the market, Suzuki might have a gladius but I am unsure as suzi never sorted thier dealer chain out down here and so that only leaves yamaha with the FZ6 and the R1 and FZ1.

What I am saying is, there maybe individual company policies, but finance can be obtained on motorcycles, theres no law or rule against it.

for motorcycles, thats above 250cc

less than 50% down, Work permit required by most

50% down, no work permit required for most

GE capital is the largest financer of bikes, interest 4-5% unless sponsored by bike supplier

cars the numbers are 35-40% and 15-25% down, interest 1-3%, always partially sponsored by car supplier

bunch of large financers

no company required

thai cashflow history needed, not less than 6 months

Often the way with finance, work permit desired to know your not going to be leaving soon.

Kawasaki made it clear I could get finance without a WP.. Was VERY insistent that it wasnt needed.

kawasaki uses GE capital, and they prefere high cashflow over WP, so do most financers

Can add BMW to the list that offer finance also.

Forgot.. Add harley to that list also.

So we now have

Triumph, ducati, BMW, Harley, Kawasaki, and Yamaha (think on Yammie).

And amazingly enough, thats also ALL the makers of imported motorcycles that have homogelation type approval.

Saying Honda dont finance motorcycles, when they currently dont sell any motorcycles, only scooters, is slight of hand.

When OP used the term motorbike (instead of motorcycle), coming from the US, I'm thinking he's thinking of one of the small 125 cc types ( Could be wrong though). If that's the case, no point in financing.

Well motorbike, or motorcycle both mean one thing..

If he means a scooter, auto or step through, as you say, finance seems less relevant as they are cheap. Why finance 50k ??

If its for a Thai bird and you dont fancy gifting her the 50 - 70k at once.. finance in her name.

Edited by LivinLOS

When OP used the term motorbike (instead of motorcycle), coming from the US, I'm thinking he's thinking of one of the small 125 cc types ( Could be wrong though). If that's the case, no point in financing.

Honda PCX 50% down for farang, but need thai guarantor

or if you are GE capital/Bank of Ayudhya customer, no guarantor and interest only 0,99% month, as opposed to 3% a month for most small scoots

get the offer by mail every second month or so with my thai creditcard bill

but agree, no point in financing those cheap scoots, and high interest

Edited by katabeachbum

True, but everyone I know from the US that rides either says "I'll take my bike for a ride", or "I'll take my motorcycle for a ride". Usually just "bike" is spoken and understood to mean motorcycle.

But they dont mean scooter tho do they ??

Scooterists in the states (of which there are now many, growing fashion thing I read) are a well defined sub group..

But BillR has his proof in the Britbike link above and KBBs GE posts.. If he still refuses to believe it is up to him.

post proof

Post proof ??

Lost of my mates are riding the proof around..

I myself have been offered the finance.. What do you need, me to go buy a bike to prove it to you ??

thanks for your comment

remember i have retirement visa just renewed

i would like to lease with option to buy a motorbike (125 cc) and pay 1/2 down

or purchase on a contract with monthly payments with 1/2 down

do u know what they would require in income in order to qualify

pls recommend a dealer who you think would consider this

thnx a bunch "livinLOS"

dinner on me if i can swing a deal.....cheers

So you mean a scooter ??

125cc is only the Honda PCX and a couple of suzukis.. Rest of the Hondas re 110 etc. Yammie has 112 and 135 ec etc.

First choose the bike you want, then see whats offered if anything on finance, probably more interest in Phuket town than Patong too.. Its possible they have changed very recently and dont want to do the small ones any more. I mean if its half down, this means financing 25 - 35k ?? Is it really worth it ?

So you mean a scooter ??

125cc is only the Honda PCX and a couple of suzukis.. Rest of the Hondas re 110 etc. Yammie has 112 and 135 ec etc.

First choose the bike you want, then see whats offered if anything on finance, probably more interest in Phuket town than Patong too.. Its possible they have changed very recently and dont want to do the small ones any more. I mean if its half down, this means financing 25 - 35k ?? Is it really worth it ?

There is a Honda Wave 125 cc. See link: Honda Wave They go for about 55,000 Baht. If you can't afford a new one, buy a used one, they're cheap to fix...

Edited by Jimi007

I agree with you the Wave 125cc is a motorcycle and that is the type of bike most people want

There again he may want a big bike but not many people do.

Course the wave 125i.. Clean forget that little workhorse.. The Honda CZi 110 is only low 30 something isnt it ??

If I pass a Honda or Yammie today I will go and see what the script is with farang finance, as I just sold off 2 of the missus's scooters and intend to get a shiny new auto (urrg !!! Hate autos) so either a PCX or a YNE 135.

Might go flash and get her a vespa LX150 tho, Vespa finance !! Then they would need to with many of their models being over 300k.