Ed Visa For Stuying Buddhism

Just want to know if anyone knows about this. Say a person wanted to go to a monistary and study Buddhism and stay in the Temple for a year, is it at all possible to get a visa for this? Yes I have been here a long time and know all about Buddhism etc so no comments about that please, just info on the topic (is a visa possible)? will be appreciated thanx. Even a direct number or website or email to ask about this would be great.

Send me a personal message if you may please or post so other people might learn as wll maybe is better.

I cannot answer your question as it stands, but you probaly know you can study in Ayuthhaya at MCU, or even ordain and get a visa for that, and leave the monkhood at the end of the year . Thais can spend short times in robes, but I am not sure whether you would have to promise more...... I presume the program at MCU can satisfy for an ed visa. In Rangoon there is a free program.

It appears that you can apply for a one year extension of permission stay based on your studying Buddism.

Rules in the Consideration of Alien Applications for Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand according to clause 2 of the order of the Royal Thai Police Headquarters no. 777/2551 dated on 25 November B.E.2551

Case

2.13 In the case of study of Buddhism or religious function: permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

Basis for Consideration

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2)Confirmation has been issued by the National Buddhism Office or the National Buddhism Office of the Prime Minister's Office or the Mahachulalongkorn University;

and

(3)Confirmation has been issued by the abbot of the temple where the applicant is studying or performing the religious function.

Actually when I was out at Changwattana a few weeks ago with a group of 'acquaintances' who were extending their Non-Immigrant Type ED visas for another 90 days as they attend a private thai language school; I ran into a foreigner dressed in those orange colored thai monks robes out there also extending his ED visa.

To say I was shocked was an understatement, so much so I went up and spoke to him. He was an auzzie and looked to be in his mid 30's. He said he was studying buddhism at a well known temple (dunno the name sorry). He also said he had no problem getting a 90 day Single Entry Non-Immigrant Type ED visa in Vientiane nor any problem with immigrations extending it every 90 days. I don't know why he didn't get a years extension as I didn't ask him about it.

So yes, it is indeed possible to get an ED visa for the purpose of studying buddhism here. Now whether you'll get a years extension or hafta extend your permission of stay every 90 days, I dunno. ..

I was told in the states if I had a letter from the monastary where I meditate they would issue me a multi- non-o visa

This is correct, you can get a non-imm class O on this basis. If you become a monk, your temple (i.e. the abbott or his office) will take care of the extension of stay. I have met several farang monks who stay in Thailand on this basis. I don't know whether the temple would issue the necessary paperwork if you don't become a monk but just keep meditating there as a layman. You would have to discuss this with the abbott.

The other way to stay in Thailand in order to study Buddhism is a non-imm class ED. In order to obtain this, the teaching institue that issues the letter that you need to apply for the visa must be approved by the Ministry of Education, which has nothing to do with temples. CMU has been mentioned, and there are other universities that offer Buddhist Studies as a degree programm. The extension of stay will be handled like any other extension of stay.

Actually when I was out at Changwattana a few weeks ago with a group of 'acquaintances' who were extending their Non-Immigrant Type ED visas for another 90 days as they attend a private thai language school; I ran into a foreigner dressed in those orange colored thai monks robes out there also extending his ED visa.

To say I was shocked was an understatement, so much so I went up and spoke to him. He was an auzzie and looked to be in his mid 30's. He said he was studying buddhism at a well known temple (dunno the name sorry). He also said he had no problem getting a 90 day Single Entry Non-Immigrant Type ED visa in Vientiane nor any problem with immigrations extending it every 90 days. I don't know why he didn't get a years extension as I didn't ask him about it.

So yes, it is indeed possible to get an ED visa for the purpose of studying buddhism here. Now whether you'll get a years extension or hafta extend your permission of stay every 90 days, I dunno. ..

Well, if he had to leave the country every 90 days, he did something wrong. Not wrong in the sense of committing a sin, but in the sense that it could be smoother. As I said in my other post in this thread a few minutes ago, he can get a non-O based on being a monk. In fact, I don't know whether he can get an extension of stay even though he has a non-ED instead of a non-O, but it is likely that the applicabl;e regulation just says that he has to have a nin-imm (without specifying the class).

I understand he has been ordained, as otherwise he not would be allowed to wear the orange robe. It is possible that his temple doesn't kow about this, so the abbott should contact the higher authority, which may be the Sangha council of the province.