Viktor Bout Takes Plea To Thai Appeals Court

webfact

MERCHANT OF DEATH

Bout takes plea to Appeals Court

The Court of Appeals has accepted an appeal filed by alleged Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout against a lower court's decision allowing public prosecutors to drop charges of money-laundering against him, his lawyer said yesterday.

Bout is resisting attempts by the US authorities seeking his extradition for trial in the US.

Bout's lawyer Lak Nitiwattanavijan said the Russian would raise the argument in the court that US allegations against his client were politically motivated and that the US authorities sought to prosecute Bout on charges other than the ones specified in their request for his extradition.

The defence argument about the political motivation was rejected by the lower court.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he told the US ambassador during their meeting yesterday that the government must have "good reasons" to make a decision different from a final court verdict ordering the extradition of the suspect to the US.

Speaking after a meeting with US Ambassador Eric John at his request, Abhisit said the diplomat told him he was startled and confused over reports that the government might make an executive decision that overrides the court decision ordering Bout's extradition to the US to face indictments there.

Citing John's question over whether the executive and the judicial decision could always go together, Abhisit said he told John: "No need, but if the government makes an executive decision in a way different to the court ruling, it must have good reasons."

Asked whether John's meeting was aimed at pressuring the Thai government, Abhisit said: "There is nothing to pressure Thailand."

"But I told him, as per the principle of Thai laws, a final decision on the issue rests with the government, to exercise its executive authority," he added.

In addition to the Bout affair, the prime minister said he and John discussed the Asean-US leaders' meeting, his recent visit to Burma, and other topics of bilateral interest.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-14

Bout appealing to Thai court NOT drop charges against him is as topsy turvy as the world gets.

Anything but be handed to a USA court where facts actually might be presented,

and the questioning will be MUCH more pointed. I think the guy is going stateside,

one day not too far off, like it or not. But stall he will no matter how absurd the arguments seem.

Bout appealing to Thai court NOT drop charges against him is as topsy turvy as the world gets.

and the questioning will be MUCH more pointed. I think the guy is going stateside,

one day not too far off, like it or not. But stall he will no matter how absurd the arguments seem.

I cant say I blame him its an obvious set up with made up charges just to get him to the USA and there is no way he will get a fair trial in the US simple as that, if they get him there thatsit for him and I too would do ANYTHING to avoid being sent there.

DK

I cant say I blame him its an obvious set up with made up charges just to get him to the USA and there is no way he will get a fair trial in the US simple as that, if they get him there thatsit for him and I too would do ANYTHING to avoid being sent there.

DK

Why can't he get a fair trial in USA? Every been on a USA jury?

I have. It is 100% possible to get a fair trial. Even for this guy.

It may have been a sting operation to get him, but he hung himself out there.

He'll tell what he knows, and go into witness protection and disappear.

Things could be worse. like staying in a Thai jail forever.

His biggest worry is that those he might talk ABOUT

will try to off him BEFORE he can talk.

Edited by animatic

DK

Go watch "Runaway Jury" (Cusack, Hackman, Hoffman, Weisz). The movie show that US jury CAN be bought.

Court Accepts Russian Arms Dealer's Appeal

Komchadluek newspaper reports that the court agreed to accept an appeal filed by the Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout.

Meanwhile, the Prime Minister insists that the final decision on the case is up to the Cabinet.

Lak Nitiwattanawichan, the lawyer of Russian weapons dealer Viktor Bout, said that the court has agreed to accept an appeal filed by Viktor Bout after it was decided to cancel the questioning of witnesses on both sides of the case.

The public prosecutor's extradition request was also rejected.

This means that the court has agreed to reconsider six counts involving Bout.

The court will later consider the details around the fact that the first court session failed to examine the remarks of the accused, including Bout's complaint about political motivation in the charges brought against him.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva stated that U.S. Ambassador Eric G.

John had spoke with him at the Parliament for roughly 20 minutes.

Abhisit went on to say that the ambassador did not put pressure on the Thai government, adding that he explained to John that the extradition law in Thailand is in line with international standards.

The premier added that the Cabinet will make a final decision after the court delivers a verdict.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-14

footer_n.gif

"John that the extradition law in Thailand is in line with international standards."

Which is to say it's slow, moronic and full of loopholes. Can't really blame Thailand - it's the same or worse pretty much everywhere, and that's for countries who even have extradition agreements, a lot just don't.

If the charges are not dropped yet before all witnesses are heard yet, Bout and his defense can perfectly demonstrate how ridiculous and fictional all these charges are and that there is obviously not enough evidence.

But why should Bout go to the USA at all, no matter how fair trails over there might be.

Some could argue that the USA should arrest their own criminals and put everyone who was and is involved in military aggression and invasion of other countries and killing of civilians in the occupied territory into jail. There is plenty of evidence and plenty to do. Once that is done, they can maybe look after figures like Bout.

DK

Go watch "Runaway Jury" (Cusack, Hackman, Hoffman, Weisz). The movie show that US jury CAN be bought.

It's a movie.

And this is not about at big money trial for cash and carry.

If the charges are not dropped yet before all witnesses are heard yet, Bout and his defense can perfectly demonstrate how ridiculous and fictional all these charges are and that there is obviously not enough evidence.

But why should Bout go to the USA at all, no matter how fair trails over there might be.

Some could argue that the USA should arrest their own criminals and put everyone who was and is involved in military aggression and invasion of other countries and killing of civilians in the occupied territory into jail. There is plenty of evidence and plenty to do. Once that is done, they can maybe look after figures like Bout.

It's a completely DIFFERENT case.

This is not about the case he is to be extradited on,

but stalling for time because another case was also filed.

Nothing more than a tactic.

If he was going to France or the UK or Argentina for this it would be the same.

He has lost the extradition appeals and is stalling because the OTHER case existed.

So he is appealing to KEEP HIMSELF CHARGED. Even as the prosecuters have dropped the case.

Topsey turvydom.

He has lost the extradition appeals and is stalling because the OTHER case existed.

So he is appealing to KEEP HIMSELF CHARGED. Even as the prosecuters have dropped the case.

Topsey turvydom.

It is not criminal to have a tactic.

Topsey turvydom.

FYI: The case in question here is a second extradition request by the USA.

Its a different case maybe, but it was filed by the same people. Why it should be now dropped just because another previous request was now successful after an appeal in a higher court decision.

Bout should have the right to proof in a public court that this certain extradition request is totally baseless. And for course its also a play on time. but understandable the he and his defense playing that game.

Bout would have never the chance to play this game on time if there wasn't that second extradition request.

Topsey turvydom.- whatever it means. Bout is playing by the rules in the law book. Accept this. Maybe the USA is successful with their second extradition request too, maybe not.

Topsey turvydom.

FYI: The case in question here is a second extradition request by the USA.

Its a different case maybe, but it was filed by the same people. Why it should be now dropped just because another previous request was now successful after an appeal in a higher court decision.

Bout should have the right to proof in a public court that this certain extradition request is totally baseless. And for course its also a play on time. but understandable the he and his defense playing that game.

Bout would have never the chance to play this game on time if there wasn't that second extradition request.

Topsey turvydom.- whatever it means. Bout is playing by the rules in the law book. Accept this. Maybe the USA is successful with their second extradition request too, maybe not.

There is no practical need to do this other than stall from his existing extradition window.

It will affect nothing about the other case except extend it past the final extradition date.

The case request was dropped by USA and Thai prosecuters, the ONLY reason this is still in court,

is because Bout can stall the extradition, not to prove anything.

He hardly wants a day in court to prove he didn't do something he is not charged with:

Topsey Turvydom.Standing logic on it's head. Or a simple stall tactic. FYI

The USA need not be successful with this 2nd extradition request,

there is no longer a USA extradition request for this 2nd case.

There is no longer a Thailand prosecution of this case.

It is understandable that Bouts lawyers would try this tactic, but under the conditions

of the over all situation, it beggars belief that the court accepted his argument at all.

Logical response: Charges are dropped, no case to argue.

Typical Thailand to pass the hot potato on, string it out like all court cases, go to appeal, inch through the course towards an expiry date with a convenient excuse to let the case go. The point here is that Bout was caught red handed trying to sell weapons illegally to an organisation engaged in terrorist activity, in a Bangkok hotel, he's also very well known for suspected arms dealing with shady people over the years, whether or not that is true will come out in the courts.

But if Thailand lets this one go, all things considered, it will be a great example of how political pressure can override justice, to my mind Bout is as guilty as hel_l but the Russians desperately don't want him to fall into American hands. What are they trying to hide. It's unfair to accuse the Americans of leaning on Thailand, afterall you have a high profile suspected criminal here that they want to put on trial, I think the American legal system is a lot more reliable towards the accused than the Thai or Russian one.

Thailand runs the risk of showing the world that's it's the perfect place for criminals the world over to do business and hide out, should they let Bout evade justice. Remember, Bout is not guilty yet, but he does have to face trial, why is he so afraid of that?

From what I've read they decided to allow the extradition but according to Thai law there is a three month time limit on the order, this expires on November 20th I believe.

If Bout can successfully delay his extradition until then he won't be extradited. There are many ways he could do this, all he would need to do is break a small law between now and then and technically he could be re arrested. I'm sure he could arrange this with ease.

It does look like a face saving exercise all around to me which will result in Bout not being sent to the US in the short term.

Quoting from a BBC article : "Mr Bout, a former Russian air force officer, is thought to have knowledge of Russia's military and intelligence operations."

[

There is no practical need to do this other than stall from his existing extradition window.

It will affect nothing about the other case except extend it past the final extradition date.

The case request was dropped by USA and Thai prosecuters, the ONLY reason this is still in court,

Bambi, if the USA wouldn't had filed this second extradition request - Bout could not stall the extradition.

So why the USA filed the 2nd extradition, a extradition request that is maybe successful or not?

Was it just for tactical reasons maybe?

Typical Thailand to pass the hot potato on, string it out like all court cases, go to appeal, inch through the course towards an expiry date with a convenient excuse to let the case go. The point here is that Bout was caught red handed trying to sell weapons illegally to an organisation engaged in terrorist activity, in a Bangkok hotel, he's also very well known for suspected arms dealing with shady people over the years, whether or not that is true will come out in the courts.

But if Thailand lets this one go, all things considered, it will be a great example of how political pressure can override justice, to my mind Bout is as guilty as hel_l but the Russians desperately don't want him to fall into American hands. What are they trying to hide. It's unfair to accuse the Americans of leaning on Thailand, afterall you have a high profile suspected criminal here that they want to put on trial, I think the American legal system is a lot more reliable towards the accused than the Thai or Russian one.

Thailand runs the risk of showing the world that's it's the perfect place for criminals the world over to do business and hide out, should they let Bout evade justice. Remember, Bout is not guilty yet, but he does have to face trial, why is he so afraid of that?

The USA desperately want Bout because the USA are on a power ego macho trip as the wannabe world police.

[

Bambi, if the USA wouldn't had filed this second extradition request - Bout could not stall the extradition.

So why the USA filed the 2nd extradition, a extradition request that is maybe successful or not?

Was it just for tactical reasons maybe?

Toti, lil bunnie.

They retracted the request, it no longer exists,

the prosecutors retracted it, it no longer exists.

Even if you live in the happy forest of rose colored glasses,

he still 'wouldn't had' a valid reason to appeal this 2nd charge,

that no longer exists, except someone likely has caused some

lower court officer, for remuneration, NOT drop the case as

requested by BOTH agencies that filed it.

I know you think you are making some sort of point,

but you "wouldn't had" reason to if your bias wasn't worn

on your sleeve like badge of honor, or a forgotten sale slip.

I wouldn't have a reason to refute this yet again, but the argument

remains circular and without sound basis for these myopic, jingoist views.

And yet they are continuously expound as if it were some sort of reality.