A3 Scaner

Raw_umber

Hi,

I want to bring my a3 scanner with me from the uk and my pc just the internal bits, are they going to let me on the plane with this stuff? what will happen with customs in Thailand? am i breaking any rules?

Any advice much appreciated.

one mate from Australia brought his A3 printer and a scanner from Australia and it was no problem. Maybe you should have the original invoice with you, when you go back.

So a few years ago it was no problem, no idea about the situation now.

Hi,

I want to bring my a3 scanner with me from the uk and my pc just the internal bits, are they going to let me on the plane with this stuff? what will happen with customs in Thailand? am i breaking any rules?

Any advice much appreciated.

You can bring it on the plane, no problem. Just make sure that you wrap it well.

I would hand-carry the scanner as they really don't like the rough treatment that baggage handlers would inflict.

I doubt customs would care.

thanks for the replies... very helpfull, but I'm thinking the scanner might be a bit big for hand luggage.

I will have to trust i can do a good job in packing it up to withstand the throwing around by luggage handlers.

hi'

I, twice brought a complete pc(caseless), put it all in a bag and kept it with me(wuite a big bag), got check in custom and as I had to pay a "fee" to go...

not much though, a good 1,000Baths :o

second time, I packed it really well and registered it, no problem at custom and everything arrived in perfect shape, not a scratch.

I used cardboard box crushed(with machine) and some bubble-paper and wrap all this around and on sides of the bag, this was ok ...

I also brought back a printer for a friend, packed in the original box(registered as luggage), no problem as well :D

but a scanner, well, you better put a thick layer of protection around a one in between the glass and the cover to be sure that it won't break :D

francois

thanks for the replies... very helpfull, but I'm thinking the scanner might be a bit big for hand luggage.

I will have to trust i can do a good job in packing it up to withstand the throwing around by luggage handlers.

Bags get a severe pounding if you check them in. I'd very very nervous of sending a scanner that way. Even if the glass doesn't get broken, a good, hard knock (which it *will* get) might knock stuff out of alignment.

Personally, I would DHL it and then you at least have insurance if it gets damaged in transit

I once brought a PC with me, open, in a bag, which was not closed, as the PC was too big. Of course customs asked, and I explained:

- it is an old old PC, used for years.

- has a special configuration, which I don't get here

- will get brought back in a few weeks, when I go back.

the PC did not look new, and they accepted, no fee, sawasdee khrap :o