President Obama congratulates Chilean counterpart after successful rescue of 33 miners

News_Editor

President Obama congratulates Chilean counterpart after successful rescue of 33 miners

2010-10-15 08:54:36 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. President Barack Obama on Thursday called his Chilean counterpart, Sebastian Piñera, to congratulate him on the successful rescue of 33 miners who were trapped underground at the San Jose mine.

"Earlier today, President Obama called Chilean President Sebastian Piñera to congratulate him and the Chilean government on the historic rescue of the 33 miners trapped under more than 2,000 feet of rock in northern Chile since August 5," the White House informed through a statement.

Obama praised not only the government efforts but the ones from the rescue crews. He specifically recognized the determination demonstrated by the rescue workers. The U.S. President said that the miners and the Chilean people have inspired the world.

In response, the Chilean leader thanked the support, both financial and material, from Obama, the U.S. government, the American companies and individuals.

The U.S. State Department and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) provided support on the rescue plans.

West Virginia State also offered its resources and expertise in order to attend the mental and physical well-being of the 33 miners that were found still alive after the collapse of the mine.

On Wednesday, rescue efforts ended in satisfaction after the 33 miners were rescued without incidents from the San Jose mine. After a long operation, rescue workers managed to send a shaft 700 meters deep to reach the chamber where the miners were confined since August 5.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-10-15