Tamiflu For Baby

halfhead

My one year old baby has been perscribed an antibiotic and Tamiflu for a cough and runny nose but no fever,Im giving her the antibiotic but as for the Tamiflu,anyone else or their child been given this?Im not really sure I want her to take this,I dont know enough about it,any advice please?

thanks

Edited by halfhead

The doctror told me it was in the guidelines to perscribe Tamiflu,I just get the feeling they are trying to get rid of all that stock they bought

and another thing I cant get into www.tamiflu.com,the goverment appears to be blocking it,keeps redirecting to www.w3.mict etc

Tamiflu was first approved in October 1999 by the US Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of influenza infection in adults. When Tamiflu’s safety profile for use in children was considered and the drug approved in 2005 by the US FDA, Tamiflu had been used by about 33 million patients worldwide.

In Japan, amongst children there have been reported deaths of 1 per million. Therefore, if your child has been prescribed Tamiflu by a Doctor and at the appropriate dose, there should not be a problem.

It should not be given to kids under 1.

Yes but the question is, does this baby have influenza?

Without knowing what the clinical findings were on physical examination no one can say, but the mother's description is not inconsistent with a common cold. In which case neither Tamiflu nor antibiotics are necessary. It all depends on whether or not the child's lungs were clear or congested, which obviously I don't know.

Over-medication is rampant in Thailand. It is necessary to tell doctors that you do not want any unnecesary medication given to your child. They will otherwise assume that you will be dissatisfied with the care if they do not presecribe at least 2 different drugs.