Yup.........Mobile Phone In The Water, Not Working.

Phatcharanan

Apart from the obvious shop repair?

Taking pictures of my girl in Hua Hin, scrambling about on the rocks by the beach, slipped and into the sea I went.

Samsung Omnia i8910 totally dunked. Now not working of course.

Anyone got any ideas that I can try first before taking it to a shop?

:(

What they'll basicaly do in the shop is open the phone, possibly take it apart, dry it with a hairdryer, put it together, try if it works .. (charge you 100-200 B for this afaik)

If it wount, they'll try to change battery and keyboard (charging you much more for parts and all)

You can do part one yourself at home if you want and if you'll find out how to dimantle the phone non-destructively. (I didnt manage that with my iRiver mp3)

A good advice from my friend: when you'll go to repair shop, prefer guys who look like geeks. (long hair, long beards, thick glasses, ..) Bigger chance there they'll know what they doin ;)

Good luck

Edited by RivaArt

It may be savable if fully dismantled NOW and rinsed in clean, fresh water. If it's been more than a few hours since its dunking it's dead.

If you fall in the swimming pool you stand a much better chance of saving the beast as fresh water is much less aggressive to vital bits.

I have left two Nokias in my trouser pocket on two different occaisons and they went thru a washing machine,and neither of them worked again even after leaving them to dtry out. I have also dropped Nokias into the toilet bowl a couple of times but they were quickly scopped out qnd they worked again so i guess it is a matter of length of time for immersion.

Since we live in Thailand, I guess leaving a shop to do the hair-dryer thing and so on is the best option - it's cheap. I agree go to the geeks who sit there surrounded by many open phones and computers. Chances are if you give it to a shop it'll end up with the geeks anyway, only the shop takes a cut.

I got water into my iPhone 3GS and it was a goner. The problem with the iPhone being, you can't rip out the battery. The phone was stuck in a turn on / crash loop and I could do nothing about it. Buttons didn't work. Then again, it had been through a tropical storm and I only noticed it was wet hours later so would probably have been too late anyway.

The only good thing is that Apple will replace a water damaged iPhone with a new one for 8800 baht. Steep - but better than nothing, and you get a brand new phone.

as others said...for fresh water it is ok to dry it in the sun or with a hairdryer.

Do NOT what a friend of mine did and put it in the microwave....duhhh! :ermm:

Seawater: very aggressive and chances for a recovery are very very low.

In any case, take the battery out asap.

Chances are if you give it to a shop it'll end up with the geeks anyway, only the shop takes a cut.

Just for record: Dont count on that ! I have seen a thai idiot trying to pry-open a tightened phone case with ridiculous-size screwdriver until he chipped piece of the plastic (and didnt open it anyway:). Remember, this is thailand.

@Phatcharanan - so did you try to repair it ?

Edited by RivaArt